Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean 6.1 roof not “auto correcting”

I am sure the T6.1 checks more frequently, I heard it twice last night and had turned the ignition on at about 9pm to retention the roof.

I am sure the T6.1 checks more frequently, I heard it twice last night and had turned the ignition on at about 9pm to retention the roof.
Does it not give the times in the “California Supplement “?
In mines it’s tucked away in an “information“ para.
Why they set it at 10 and 5 hours is a mystery!

Changed site yesterday, set up at 14:00 by 21:00 had the flappy bellows.

Turned on ignition at 21:00to drop roof slightly then go back up. Currently15hrs on and bellows still taught from last night.

I don’t keep the key in ignition other than if resetting the roof. I don’t have ignition on.

The sun is rising on the left of the van and sets on the right, the van roof is very hot, I’m convincing myself that seals in the hydraulics may so hot that the pressure is weeping through the seals a little?

Changed site yesterday, set up at 14:00 by 21:00 had the flappy bellows.

Turned on ignition at 21:00to drop roof slightly then go back up. Currently15hrs on and bellows still taught from last night.

I don’t keep the key in ignition other than if resetting the roof. I don’t have ignition on.

The sun is rising on the left of the van and sets on the right, the van roof is very hot, I’m convincing myself that seals in the hydraulics may so hot that the pressure is weeping through the seals a little?
Hi,

I also convinced myself of this heat "fact" until i read an old thread and realised i had been operating the roof incorrectly. I had been advised at handover that i stopped pushing the control knob when the sound of the motor changed at the fully open or closed prompt. This was indeed incorrect advice and i should have been waiting until total silence so that the reservoir's were full. ( "i was continually getting sag on the left hand side even after just a few hours"). I followed the advice to fully raise and lower 4 times only stopping when the motors ceased and bingo no sag since not even after 24 hours. Last three trips its been perfect, so it was user all along for me.

Hi,

I also convinced myself of this heat "fact" until i read an old thread and realised i had been operating the roof incorrectly. I had been advised at handover that i stopped pushing the control knob when the sound of the motor changed at the fully open or closed prompt. This was indeed incorrect advice and i should have been waiting until total silence so that the reservoir's were full. ( "i was continually getting sag on the left hand side even after just a few hours"). I followed the advice to fully raise and lower 4 times only stopping when the motors ceased and bingo no sag since not even after 24 hours. Last three trips its been perfect, so it was user all along for me.
Interesting! I release at the change of motor sound and always sag a little.
I will try the button to the end method.

Dodge,
Hi,

dodge,

I’ll give that a whirl thank you.

I had no handover or dealer follow up. I pressed until the motor changed noise and then stopped as appeared taught.

duff

I’ve always held the button till the noise stops completely, never had a hint of a sag or even heard the roof adjusting in 7 years of the old van.

It was suggested that the software update on the T6.1 was to make the roof adjust more frequently. It shouldn’t need it at all if it’s working correctly.

I’ve always held the button till the noise stops completely, never had a hint of a sag or even heard the roof adjusting in 7 years of the old van.

It was suggested that the software update on the T6.1 was to make the roof adjust more frequently. It shouldn’t need it at all if it’s working correctly.
Hi not sure if the update was actually for the auto adjustment from what I have been told the update stopped the issue with the roof freezing ie not been able to lower which in my case has worked ,I had a chat with the local dealer today.My take on it is the roof will sag in time and more so in hot weather that is the nature of a hydraulic cylinder but the sag should be even.Also they tell me no auto correct function exists which is strange they say the roof will sag over time but when it happens it should be manually corrected from the control panel ,the key is to hold the up button till the noise stops.

Having had the software update and new hydraulic rams for the roof last week, first day of a weeklong trip to the lakes today & I can report that between putting the roof up at about4pm and trying to turn on the roof lights at 9pm one side of our roof has sagged enough for the lights to cut out and the control panel to show “intermediate position “
It’s not going to stop our break but I’m not happy☹️
Sorry to hear than Andy. We are on holiday too and our roof is hitting that intermediate position after just a couple of hours sometimes, lights not working etc. It autocorrects sometimes twice in the night! Surely cant be right? I wish we'd gone for a mechanical roof now and body-swerved the electrical one entirely.

Sorry to hear than Andy. We are on holiday too and our roof is hitting that intermediate position after just a couple of hours sometimes, lights not working etc. It autocorrects sometimes twice in the night! Surely cant be right? I wish we'd gone for a mechanical roof now and body-swerved the electrical one entirely.
This is my concern the dealers don’t know enough, big worry clearly the auto correct is available

It should need to
That sounds exactly like ours, ours is only passenger side that sags, about 3 hours till it’s dropped enough for the lights to cut out.
I don’t accept that it’s heat or even seepage from the rams. If my old van worked in Spain for days at a time without a hint of sag there’s no reason that the new van shouldn’t.
If it needed both sides correcting by a small amount after a day or so when the day / night temperatures were vastly different I could accept that.
I also retention the roof to level it before lowering, despite that one side comes down quicker than the other.

The Hydraulic motor will cut out when fully pressurised. The motor noise will change as it approaches the cut out point.
Whether going up or down hold the button until motor stops automatically.

Have decided that temperature is not a factor with the sagging.
Returned to site around 9pm yesterday, by 11.30 roof had sagged on one side enough for the lights to stop working.
The auto correct function kicked in at about 7 am.
No sun involved and temperature fairly constant over that time.

Returned to site around 9pm yesterday, by 11.30 roof had sagged on one side enough for the lights to stop working.
Sounds like one of the none return valves is passing so new pump unit I think

When raising the roof are you switching off the pump when the noise changes or allowing the pump to switch itself off?

I keep the button pressed until the pump stops, as per the current manual " When the pop-up roof is fully open, the hydraulic motor continues to run for about three seconds and then switches off automatically"

also says further on roof height will be checked and automatically adjusted after the ignition has been switched off and ignition key removed, first after 10 hours then every 5 hours.

I now believe the software update was just to stop the control panel preventing the roof being raised or lowered once it had got into the intermediate position.
Ie it now ignores the error state & lets you drop the roof rather than having to pull fuses / disconnect battery / call vw assistance. It doesn't actually fix the sagging problem.

Sounds like one of the none return valves is passing so new pump unit I think
Well diagnosed!

So far our sagging roof has had:

Software update - apparently this just overrides the lock out on the control panel, it means frustrated owners, rather than calling out VW assist every morning ( or pulling fuses/ disconnect battery), can lower their own roofs from the locked out intermediate position.

The software update didn't work so new hydraulic rams were fitted.

The new rams havn't cured it so back in to workshop for diagnosis & it needs a new pump due to a failed valve.

New pump is 3-4 days work, more importantly there are none available & they are on back order.

So retrieved the van today & will have to live with the sagging until a pump turns up, its only 10 days till we are away again so chances are its going to be October or so before its sorted.

Well diagnosed!

So far our sagging roof has had:

Software update - apparently this just overrides the lock out on the control panel, it means frustrated owners, rather than calling out VW assist every morning ( or pulling fuses/ disconnect battery), can lower their own roofs from the locked out intermediate position.

The software update didn't work so new hydraulic rams were fitted.

The new rams havn't cured it so back in to workshop for diagnosis & it needs a new pump due to a failed valve.

New pump is 3-4 days work, more importantly there are none available & they are on back order.

So retrieved the van today & will have to live with the sagging until a pump turns up, its only 10 days till we are away again so chances are its going to be October or so before its sorted.
Just a thought @andyinluton. Years ago I had a problem with the dynamic body control on a Mercedes (allowed me to lift/lower the car - handy for speed bumps). Anyway it needed a new pump at huge cost but the mechanic said that alternatively he could fit new seals to the existing pump. I went for that option and all was fine for the duration of my ownership - about 3-years. Would replacing the seals be a yemporary option for you or just not worth the hassle?
I’m amazed that replacing the pump is a 3-4 day job!!

Just a thought @andyinluton. Years ago I had a problem with the dynamic body control on a Mercedes (allowed me to lift/lower the car - handy for speed bumps). Anyway it needed a new pump at huge cost but the mechanic said that alternatively he could fit new seals to the existing pump. I went for that option and all was fine for the duration of my ownership - about 3-years. Would replacing the seals be a yemporary option for you or just not worth the hassle?
I’m amazed that replacing the pump is a 3-4 day job!!

I can use the roof as it is, just annoying with the lights going out, at least with the software fix its easy to put down now & as long as I remember to flick the ignition on & off before going to bed I won't get woken up by the pump doing an adjustment in the middle of the night.

My big concern is that it cant be doing the roof panel any good to be twisting all the time.

Am also happy that they have actually diagnosed something & I'm not being fobbed off with they all do that.

I can use the roof as it is, just annoying with the lights going out, at least with the software fix its easy to put down now & as long as I remember to flick the ignition on & off before going to bed I won't get woken up by the pump doing an adjustment in the middle of the night.

My big concern is that it cant be doing the roof panel any good to be twisting all the time.
Is it worth getting a cheap telescopic pole to keep it up until a proper fix is done?

0a82f8b3a283a24ae4c417d9c689a450.jpg

Here’s how mine looked after 2 days outside a friends place. The manual says the auto-adjust function is supposed to run every 5 hours but I only heard it 2-3 times ever… also got it stuck completely 2-3 times (could not move up or down without removing the leisure battery = reseting top panel).

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

0a82f8b3a283a24ae4c417d9c689a450.jpg

Here’s how mine looked after 2 days outside a friends place. The manual says the auto-adjust function is supposed to run every 5 hours but I only heard it 2-3 times ever… also got it stuck completely 2-3 times (could not move up or down without removing the leisure battery = reseting top panel).

Once it gets to the stuck position , the autocorrect doesn’t work anymore. No need to disconnect the leisure battery, disconnecting the starter battery which is far easier to access does exactly the same.

Once it gets to the stuck position , the autocorrect doesn’t work anymore. No need to disconnect the leisure battery, disconnecting the starter battery which is far easier to access does exactly the same.

Ok, good to know! From what I understand there’s no other reset than this. Correct?

I have noticed that a few software errors to the panels are fixed by reseting via leisure battery (that runs the top panel). For instance: tried starting the aux-heater on low fuel = error on panel that was not possible to remove = car stuck with roof open.

Today I got the roof stuck again for no reason (in the correct open position). Only resetting main battery helped. This seem to have Woo Hoo*d up the camera-, radar-systems and some other systems though. Could not close sliding door electrically, not use the ACC, sign reader and I got multiple other errors on 1st restart. On 2nd restart all was back to normal again thankfully

Ok, good to know! From what I understand there’s no other reset than this. Correct?

I have noticed that a few software errors to the panels are fixed by reseting via leisure battery (that runs the top panel). For instance: tried starting the aux-heater on low fuel = error on panel that was not possible to remove = car stuck with roof open.

Today I got the roof stuck again for no reason (in the correct open position). Only resetting main battery helped. This seem to have Woo Hoo*d up the camera-, radar-systems and some other systems though. Could not close sliding door electrically, not use the ACC, sign reader and I got multiple other errors on 1st restart. On 2nd restart all was back to normal again thankfully

Is yours under warranty? Have you taken it to VW to ask about a fix?