Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Brand new 6.1 Ocean roof continuing issue

For an update on my situation... I recently got my Cali back after another two weeks with the local dealership. The rams were swapped and one was replaced, but the problem remained. On advice from VW Tech, measurements (electrical readings) were taken of the roof switches and compared against another Cali (the readings were similar). Having been without the Cali for over two weeks I asked for it to be returned whilst I wait to hear what will happen next. I fully expect to have a simialr response to Morsels, which is what I/we have said all along, the lights are linked to the roof. I'm not saying the 20cm tolerance is acceptable, but if that is their stance then the roof lights should continue to operate within the limit of tolerance. I joked about propping up my roof with two peices of timber - I've just read a post from 2019 that someone already does this! Very disappointing that this issue has been known for so long, tolerance levels have changed over the years (I've read it was 5cm) and how VW previously rectified the issue by changing the hydraulic pump.
I second what GP said, Nigel. May be worth it!

Hi Nigel, it appears that you are not a VIP member so I cannot communicate directly with you. I would like to speak with you directly but not sure how since I don't think I should put my number on the forum. It might be worth you joining as a VIP for this year since there are more individuals talking about this who are VIPs and can talk and communicate directly. Would that be possible fro you?
Can I ask, what’s the difference between a lifetime VIP member and a VIP member?

Can I ask, what’s the difference between a lifetime VIP member and a VIP member?
I think a VIP member pays annually. A lifetime VIP member pays more but a one off payment with no end date

Hi Nigel, it appears that you are not a VIP member so I cannot communicate directly with you. I would like to speak with you directly but not sure how since I don't think I should put my number on the forum. It might be worth you joining as a VIP for this year since there are more individuals talking about this who are VIPs and can talk and communicate directly. Would that be possible fro you?
Hi Nigel, just checking you received my direct message?

I would say that the precedent has been set by VW carrying out fixes for some with the issue
Can anyone help me or give me advice. After a long wait my van has gone into Bristol Van Center to work on the roof. I spoke to them today and they said it dropped 9 cms yesterday before auto correcting and that unfortunately 9 cms is within the tolerance allowed by VW. So they are trying again today to see if the drop is more, but I expect it will be the same but I have said that a 9 cms drop in the night is unacceptable, especially in the wind. They have said their hands are tied by VW head office. I am starting to worry. Any thoughts or help much appreciated.
I am fed up with my T6.1 roof sagging in the night and VW refusing to do anything. I want to start legal action but need a reliable engineering report Does anyone know how to get a report from an expert?

I am fed up with my T6.1 roof sagging in the night and VW refusing to do anything. I want to start legal action but need a reliable engineering report Does anyone know how to get a report from an expert?
Where are you based? VW Citygate St Albans have just undertaken about £1,500 of warranty work on my 2020 6.1, and I have to say they have been excellent. Not the roof, so far...

I've got similar but one side only & not as bad.

The software just overrides the the stop function & lets you put the roof up or down from the intermediate position. It does not actually fix anything.

Mine has had new hydraulic rams & that hasn't cured it. We are now waiting for a new pump as its believed that there is a faulty valve in it. The pumps are not in stock in the UK and are on backorder.

VW have never suggested that they all do that / its normal Etc
How did you manage to get VW to authorise the work. My dealer just says VW say no it is expected to sink!
Where are you based? VW Citygate St Albans have just undertaken about £1,500 of warranty work on my 2020 6.1, and I have to say they have been excellent. Not the roof, so far...
I’m from near Crystal Palace and normally use a Tonbridge dealer. However they are solidly supporting VW on the roof issue and make it sound as though it is nothing to worry about. Therefore any dealer anywhere who is willing to challenge the ridiculous VW response is worth travelling to.

I suspect you need a new pump. They don't like changing these under warranty. You could try bleeding it by sending it up and down fully 6 or 7 times. But in my opinion this never works as air should naturally come out of the system through use. Good luck.

Thanks. I have tried this. It does stay up longer if I put it down fully and then up when it sinks ( rather than just open fully again). It must be a hydraulic issue on one side.

How did you manage to get VW to authorise the work. My dealer just says VW say no it is expected to sink!
Mine eventually had the pump replaced by Wooburn Green Citygate, it was dropping by about 150mm on one side only.

This was on a 2019 MY 199 Ocean not the current van.
Back then if one side dropped far enough for the roof lights to cut out the whole roof operation locked up as the control panel couldn't decide if the roof was up or down & you had to do a control panel reset before the roof could be moved.

1st fix, The "lock" on the control panel was removed via a software update.
2nd fix was replacing the hydraulic hoses
3rd fix was a new pump - took them a couple of days.

After that the roof was fine & never sagged at all.

It drops on one side due to a valve in the pump being faulty and not hydraulic locking. When jcbs or cranes have this problem the pump is replaced immediately. It is rarely the rams but it can be. I doubt it on new ones. It's the pump

It drops on one side due to a valve in the pump being faulty and not hydraulic locking. When jcbs or cranes have this problem the pump is replaced immediately. It is rarely the rams but it can be. I doubt it on new ones. It's the pump
The suggestion 2 years ago was that there was a batch of pumps where manufacturing swarf had got caught in the valve hence it not sealing properly.

The "fix" of putting the roof up & down 5 times in quick succession, in my mind would be more to do with the flow of fluid flushing the swarf out of the way rather than bleeding air out of the system.