Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ocean 6.1 roof not “auto correcting”

Morsels

Morsels

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
We have a new Ocean 6.1. When we put the roof up, it starts to sag slightly after a day. Apparently a bit of sagging is normal. However as far as I understand the manual (ours is in Spanish) it will “auto correct” if left alone and the ignition is not turned on. Apparently it happens after 5 hours then every 2.5 hours (I have also read after 10 hours then every 5).

Yet this does not seem to be happening for us. Anyone have any tips or experience of this?

Unfortunately I don’t have too much confidence in our dealer to be able to diagnose/fix this so the more info I can go in armed with, the better!

Thanks in advance.

I had our 4 week old 6.1 Ocean into our main dealer for a very small warranty job this week (nothing to do with the roof) and they mentioned that while it was there they had reset the roof parameters due to a new VW Engineering Advisory.

I didn’t take much notice if I’m honest but Morsels‘ description rings a bell with what I broadly remember the dealer saying was the reason for the Advisory.
So I suggest you check VW updates with your dealer.

I had our 4 week old 6.1 Ocean into our main dealer for a very small warranty job this week (nothing to do with the roof) and they mentioned that while it was there they had reset the roof parameters due to a new VW Engineering Advisory.

I didn’t take much notice if I’m honest but Morsels‘ description rings a bell with what I broadly remember the dealer saying was the reason for the Advisory.
So I suggest you check VW updates with your dealer.
Thanks very much Janet, I will definitely raise this with the dealer.

We had the software update to the roof for 2021 Californias, but it hasn’t fixed it. The roof goes down within 24 hours enough for it to be showing as in “intermediate” position on the control panel. It is saggy, and the lights upstairs don’t work any more (auto turn off when roof dropped, I presume).

The only solution is to press the roof open button until it goes fully up again, manually, every night.

The roof auto correct feature has kicked in just a couple of times in the past few months, having slept maybe 20 nights in it, so basically that doesn’t seem to be working. Also should a roof really drop that much in 24 hours?

It is disappointing on a brand new vehicle and so far Rock Motors here in Gibraltar (the supplier) is saying there is nothing wrong with it!

Would appreciate any experience/advice from those wiser than us. All I feel I can do is report the fault again and hope for a different outcome.

We had the software update to the roof for 2021 Californias, but it hasn’t fixed it. The roof goes down within 24 hours enough for it to be showing as in “intermediate” position on the control panel. It is saggy, and the lights upstairs don’t work any more (auto turn off when roof dropped, I presume).

The only solution is to press the roof open button until it goes fully up again, manually, every night.

The roof auto correct feature has kicked in just a couple of times in the past few months, having slept maybe 20 nights in it, so basically that doesn’t seem to be working. Also should a roof really drop that much in 24 hours?

It is disappointing on a brand new vehicle and so far Rock Motors here in Gibraltar (the supplier) is saying there is nothing wrong with it!

Would appreciate any experience/advice from those wiser than us. All I feel I can do is report the fault again and hope for a different outcome.
Hi have you had the auto correct function sorted yet?

Mine is at the dealers awaiting a software update for the sagging roof. There is apparently a little publicised recall for this. Vw customer care have admitted they can’t cope, there’s too many dealers already overwhelmed with routine servicing to manage a proper recall.
The recall is just a software update.
Apparently it’s not raising the roof far enough for the passenger side ram valve to shut properly hence the sag. That’s my understanding.
Current waiting list to get booked in is about 6-8 weeks round here.

No, they refuse to admit there’s anything wrong, annoyingly.
Mine is being fixed now, was only dropping on the passenger side. I found that once it had dropped far enough to cut off the lighting it was sufficient to confuse the computer as it didn't know if the roof was up or down. When that happened you couldn't move the roof either up or down & needed to disconnect the batteries to reset the system.
Having called out VW assist to put the roof down a couple of times VW Assist were advised that my van needed a software update to cure it & there was an outstanding recall for this. The dealer now has the van & they are saying it needs new hydraulic rams as well.

@Morsels - is yours dropping both sides or just one? The auto-correct function shouldn't be needed if the roof is working properly. My old van only autocorrected once in the 7 years I owned it as far as I know. The new van was doing it every couple of hours.

Mine is being fixed now, was only dropping on the passenger side. I found that once it had dropped far enough to cut off the lighting it was sufficient to confuse the computer as it didn't know if the roof was up or down. When that happened you couldn't move the roof either up or down & needed to disconnect the batteries to reset the system.
Having called out VW assist to put the roof down a couple of times VW Assist were advised that my van needed a software update to cure it & there was an outstanding recall for this. The dealer now has the van & they are saying it needs new hydraulic rams as well.

@Morsels - is yours dropping both sides or just one? The auto-correct function shouldn't be needed if the roof is working properly. My old van only autocorrected once in the 7 years I owned it as far as I know. The new van was doing it every couple of hours.
I just noticed the other day after the sun had been on it all day the canvas looked loose so I raised the roof off the control unit and then all good again but I thought auto correct would kick in,not sure how much it needs to drop before the function works

I just noticed the other day after the sun had been on it all day the canvas looked loose so I raised the roof off the control unit and then all good again but I thought auto correct would kick in,not sure how much it needs to drop before the function works
Not sure if its changed, but the autocorrect used to work on a timer rather than if the roof had dropped.

Just for info’ our van had the software update for the roof whilst I was at Eurovans for something else. Prior to arriving at Eurovans we hadn’t received a recall from VW nor had we experienced any issues with the roof. We’d not had any sagging and we’ve never heard the roof auto correct. Never had the roof up for longer than 3 days though.

Just for info’ our van had the software update for the roof whilst I was at Eurovans for something else. Prior to arriving at Eurovans we hadn’t received a recall from VW nor had we experienced any issues with the roof. We’d not had any sagging and we’ve never heard the roof auto correct. Never had the roof up for longer than 3 days though.
I had the update for the issue of the roof / heater fault about 3months ago and everything has work perfect since,not sure if the auto correct has been covered in that update.The only time I have noticed the tension drop in the canvas was the other day which I have put down to the hot weather but just wondered at what point the auto tension should kick in.

This is exactly what happens with ours. We're in Spain/Portugal and it seems to be the heat that causes it to drop. But it drops so low that it is totally saggy and the lights don't work (roof thinks it is in intermediate position). The auto correct does seem to kick in and correct it, but only once or twice a day which is not enough. But it shouldn't need to anyway, surely, at least not that often? And it's annoying frankly seing camper vans with manual roofs that, you know, stay up when the owners put them up!

I think the hydraulic rams are not "tuned" correctly or something along those lines, but VW say "10 to 20 cm of drop is normal" which I feel is utter rubbish - a 10cm drop is obvious and annoying (roof thinks it is in intermediate position, lights do not work), a 20cm drop means the roof is effectively unusable.

The quest for a solution continues...

The problem you have is a known issue that we have also had corrected via software (although in never affected us), but ours is something different. Has you say, the autocorrect function shouldn;t be needed if the van is working properly - ours is doing it at least a couple of times a day, and always after sagging way to far to be comfortable to use.

I had put on the other thread,, the software fix wasn’t enough on ours, The Hydraulic rams are now being replaced.

VW seem to be playing catch up with this and other issues. It's not as if the T6-1 is the first California with an Electro/hydraulic roof is it?

Come on VW you can do better, much much better.

You’re not wrong @Borris but not wishing to tempt fate, we’ve not had any roof issues with our T6.1 (MY21), before or after a recent software update.
I wonder how many other T6.1 owners share our experience, and how many have had the software update.

You’re not wrong @Borris but not wishing to tempt fate, we’ve not had any roof issues with our T6.1 (MY21), before or after a recent software update.
I wonder how many other T6.1 owners share our experience, and how many have had the software update.
I'm very glad to hear that. Also I sincerely hope that the vast majority of T6-1 owners haven't experienced any such issues either.

No one should have to put up with these sort of issues on a brand new vehicle, especially on an upgrade of a well tried and tested model. :thumb

Having had the software update and new hydraulic rams for the roof last week, first day of a weeklong trip to the lakes today & I can report that between putting the roof up at about4pm and trying to turn on the roof lights at 9pm one side of our roof has sagged enough for the lights to cut out and the control panel to show “intermediate position “
It’s not going to stop our break but I’m not happy☹️

I can only imagine that any software update is associated with the auto correct. But it shouldn’t be sagging enough for the auto correct to be required in that time anyway. Simple hydraulic system with what should be a simple interface. Any faults should be easy to identify and fix. Really poor, you have every right to be ‘not happy’.

Yes, was initially told it should just be a software update, they then needed to keep the van longer as they were ordering in new hydraulic rams so I assume they were fitted.

Been on camp for in Cornwall for 10 days. After day 6 roof has started to drop each day. (the heat wave) Bellows flap!

Seems to do it more day than night (heat related?) not experienced any auto correction.

My fear is that I have a topper wrap (when turned outwards has the reflective surface to repel sun) However, the wrap has two rods ( steel I think) up the front to provide support.

1: the roof dropping either causes the rods to bend? (Not an issue)
2: the roof dropping causes the rods to damage roof? ( issue)

obviously taken the wrapper off presently.

my 21 ocean - no recall notification (may be at service?)

happy days!

Last edited:
Been on camp for in Cornwall for 10 days. After day 6 roof has started to drop each day. (the heat wave) Bellows flap!

Seems to do it more day than night (heat related?) not experienced any auto correction.

My fear is that I have a topper wrap (when turned outwards has the reflective surface to repel sun) However, the wrap has two rods ( steel I think) up the front to provide support.

1: the roof dropping either causes the rods to bend? (Not an issue)
2: the roof dropping causes the rods to damage roof? ( issue)

obviously taken the wrapper off presently.

my 21 ocean - no recall notification (may be at service?)

happy days!
During the period when the roof is sagging are you operating the ignition at all?
The auto correct checks 10 hours after switching off ignition then every 5 hours. So if you use the ignition key the “countdown” starts from zero. At least that’s how it operates on the T5