Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

OCEAN to BEACH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know if the new beach camper come without the new led controller if you don’t spec the night heater?
Never owned a beach but they are both great vans or campervans or cars, they are the Swiss arm knife of vehicles :thumb

Just a reminder that Beach owners have always cooked indoors when the weather indicates, even before the mini stove was available. New Year’s Eve ‘20/‘21 Baqueira, Pyrenees.

5796BC1E-5FDA-487B-953D-FE0A7E3B2B71.jpeg15C60BFB-53F4-4808-8416-707321CD07E6.jpeg

Without going into to much detail @Perfectos
The first pic was stacked because of the extra stuff needed like an awning. Which we no longer use.
Those days are over…
Behind some of what you can see, are boxes with plates, cooking kit and all the other stuff needed for camping.

True, in the second pic, I slimmed stuff down. I had too. But still, the Beach wasn’t easy to live with.

Compare to an Ocean setup.
Everything is stowed and easy to use. We no longer use an awning and camping is 10 times easier and more convenient.

It’s horses for courses.
The Beach makes sense to some. But I’ve been won over by the Ocean.

E66EB816-3E4A-4C4D-952D-842BF7CF8A4A.jpeg

Behind some of what you can see, are boxes with plates, cooking kit and all the other stuff needed for camping.

True, in the second pic, I slimmed stuff down. I had too. But still, the Beach wasn’t easy to live with.

Compare to an Ocean setup.
Everything is stowed and easy to use. We no longer use an awning and camping is 10 times easier and more convenient.

It’s horses for courses.
The Beach makes sense to some. But I’ve been won over by the Ocean.

View attachment 84534
Are you comparing your current Ocean with your original Beach that you bought 7-8 years ago or the current 6.1 camper version… for example the 2 seat bench version with low storage and hob?

Surely that pop up beach kitchen (which I like very much) would have to be spotlessly clean before you folded it away or crumbs,fat ,water etc would fall behind the panel? Where in the ocean just shove the lid down and clean it at home

Re. Ocean- Who sleeps in the half?
I don't know. It was @Amarillo typed that originally. I suppose it depends if you treat children as 1/2 adults. So 2 adults and 3 children.

Last edited:
Are you comparing your current Ocean with your original Beach that you bought 7-8 years ago or the current 6.1 camper version… for example the 2 seat bench version with low storage and hob?

Yes.
I’m not sure I see the point of the flippy stove thing. I think a Brukit/jetboil makes more sense…?

Surely that pop up beach kitchen (which I like very much) would have to be spotlessly clean before you folded it away or crumbs,fat ,water etc would fall behind the panel? Where in the ocean just shove the lid down and clean it at home
Therefore, I think most people will find it sensible to just wipe it down after use then? Depending on how many days or weeks away from home, it would seem a tad unhygienic to always wait until returning home, before cleaning any surface that's involved in the preparation of food?

Beach- correct choice
Ocean - mistake
End of.
But Matty, you've got to explain why the Beach is right for you!?....and the Ocean isn't!

Last edited:

Ocean owner: "I look down on him because he has a Coast".

Coast owner: "I look up to him as he has an Ocean but I look down on him because he has a Beach.

Beach owner: "I know my space...........and all the glorious extra uses I can put it to. :thumb

Therefore, I think most people will find it sensible to just wipe it down after use then? Depending on how many days or weeks away from home, it would seem a tad unhygienic to always wait until returning home, before cleaning any surface that's involved in the preparation of food?
Have you looked at what you said there. Point is in an ocean you don't have to clean it everytime. I don't grill. That beach kitchen using some facts you will have to clean it everytime. Can't you see that?

Last edited:
I really don’t understand why people don’t use the kitchen in an Ocean… it’s there to be used, albeit a bit small, you soon get used to it after a few uses. The Ocean/Beach’s primary use is for camping at the end of the day. Cooking outside is preferential but not always possible.

Also with a Beach, I understand it’s ‘bigger’ but where do you put your stuff? Tupperware? In scattered piles? We take quite a bit with us and I couldn’t imagine where I’d neatly store it away if we didn’t have cupboards, it’d just be a scattered mess.

I personally find the bed downstairs in an Ocean more than enough space for two people.
Seriously! Stuff can't be stored neatly without tupperware or cupboards, what nonsense.

Correction

The Beach is a five berth van you can take camping and an MPV.

The Ocean is a three and a half berth campervan
Correction
My Beach is a 4 berth Motor Caravan - as described in it’s OFFICIAL documentation.

End of.

BF5E5401-22E1-409F-987A-652DF28E145E.jpeg

Correction
My Beach is a 4 berth Motor Caravan - as described in it’s OFFICIAL documentation.

End of.

View attachment 84552
I know it is, but not according to DVLA's own definition. The fact that VW have convinced them, although some Beach owners do have MPV on their V5c, doesn't make it right and many Self Converters can no longer change their Body Type and are left with " Van with Windows" on their documentation and hence lose out in many ways.

As a MPV, multi purpose vehicle, it is excellent , no argument, and as a MPV that you can take camping, no argument, but a Campervan or Motor Caravan as DVLA describe it , it is not.

Have you looked at what you said there. Point is in an ocean you don't have to clean it everytime. I don't grill. That beach kitchen using some facts you will have to clean it everytime. Can't you see that?
I would clean a food preparatory surface every time whether in a Beach Camper… or an Ocean.
It’s a choice not an obligation.

p.s. I wouldn’t grill in a van either.

p.p.s… Thank you for editing out the footnote ‘retort’ on your original post where you question whether I was dumb.
I’ll have to assume you meant that I appeared to be conspicuously unintelligent rather than incapable of speech.

I know it is, but not according to DVLA's own definition. The fact that VW have convinced them, although some Beach owners do have MPV on their V5c, doesn't make it right and many Self Converters can no longer change their Body Type and are left with " Van with Windows" on their documentation and hence lose out in many ways.

As a MPV, multi purpose vehicle, it is excellent , no argument, and as a MPV that you can take camping, no argument, but a Campervan or Motor Caravan as DVLA describe it , it is not.
Possibly ‘all parties’ can agree that neither the Ocean nor the Beach is a proper motor caravan/motorhome. eg. not truly compartmentalised. However, please could you clarify specifically why you are so vehemently resolute in your refusal to accept the Beach as a Campervan by definition?
(Citing disgruntled and disenfranchised third party converters aside)

As a Beach owner, I thought you can get a 5th seat for the Ocean / SE?
Correct, you can if it has the middle floor rail fitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.