Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Only ten left!

Under the roll out awning, or using the Comfort awning room which is excellent as you can erect as few or all of the panels you wish, under the tailgate, we’ve never had a problem. Be interesting to ask the same question of all the Ocean owners that never cook in their van :bananadance2
I agree with you there, each to their own, but I do not understand why someone would by an Ocean and not cook in it !!!

oooh that's what one looks like, I've always found those a bit thirsty on gas.

We bought an Ocean as there is now only 2 of us and Mrs K likes the storage, bigger bed in the beach didn't attract me because I would still end up squashed into a corner.
Then Beach owners can buy the kitchens and fit them so that they can get the vehicle they always dreamed of.!
You really don’t get it do you :headbang we didn’t buy an Ocean because we didn’t want an Ocean

I agree with you there, each to their own, but I do not understand why someone would by an Ocean and not cook in it !!!
It seems many do, maybe they just like to have the option :)

And that's fine, I don't really get the "criticism" of why some one would buy a beach over an ocean, or of someone who wants to pee in their porta potti etc etc etc. Surely the whole 'ethos' of Californias is that of flexibility and freedom and, most importantly adapting it to your own lifestyle.....oh and totally respecting other Cali owners who do it differently to you !

You really don’t get it do you :headbang we didn’t buy an Ocean because we didn’t want an Ocean
And I didn't buy a Beach because I didn't want one. So why bring the subject up in the first case.:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Then Beach owners can buy the kitchens and fit them so that they can get the vehicle they always dreamed of.!

If you mean an SE/Ocean then that maybe the case with a few but I suspect not in the vast majority.

If all prospective California owners had been completely honest with themselves when considering their needs, then VW would probably have sold many more Beaches in the UK. The showroom allure of the fully fitted kitchen with its sexy glass tops and mood lighting can be beguiling. However many owners don't actually need to have a fully fitted kitchen anymore than they need 4motion or bigger flashy wheels. The SE/Ocean is a superb design and a great overall campervan package but it's clear that quite a few people buy them for the wrong reasons. People often seem to march straight into the showrooms in order to view a proper campervan. Sadly, when they were available, many of those same customers clearly didn't consider the more subtle advantages that the Beach models offered.

We now have the vehicle that we have always dreamed of. It's versatile, adaptable and not compromised in any way by fixtures that cannot be removed. Our Beach doesn't have a fully fitted kitchen nor do we want one. We tried that formula in a previous SE but rapidly discovered that whilst being very nice, it really wasn't necessary.

In a small campervan everything is a compromise and space is always at a premium. For some people having a multi use vehicle is very important, so my view is that to get the most from a Cali the design needs to be as flexible as possible. There are numerous cooking/kitchen solutions available to the Beach owner from fancy removable kitchen pods or slide out boot units down to more basic facilities. But the point is that there should be a solution to suit every owner's individual personal requirements. The actual act of cooking in a Beach doesn't differ much from the SE/Ocean. You just have more space to do it in.

Having said that for other owners the SE/Ocean design suits their needs perfectly.

Last edited:
For my two pence worth I know 3 who've gone SE or Ocean to Beach but none the other way. Just saying. Tbh if I wanted the facilities I'd go back to a full size mororhome again not an Ocean.

For my two pence worth I know 3 who've gone SE or Ocean to Beach but none the other way. Just saying. Tbh if I wanted the facilities I'd go back to a full size mororhome again not an Ocean.
There have been a few prominent forum members go from Beach to Ocean. It all depends on one's needs, both have their merits and faults.

This is an ‘excitable’ debate I can never understand. People buy what they want to meet their own needs. In my case it is currently an Ocean, but I can also appreciate why others with different needs buy a Beach. As owners move through the phases of life with babies, toddlers, kids, teens, grandkids the needs may well change, never mind the extra complications of dogs and hobbies, bikes, surf gear, kayaks etc etc etc.

Each to their own.:)

This is an ‘excitable’ debate I can never understand. People buy what they want to meet their own needs. In my case it is currently an Ocean, but I can also appreciate why others with different needs buy a Beach. As owners move through the phases of life with babies, toddlers, kids, teens, grandkids the needs may well change, never mind the extra complications of dogs and hobbies, bikes, surf gear, kayaks etc etc etc.

Each to their own.:)
There’s no right answer, it the answer that’s right for you that matters !

There was a 2016 Beach with 42k miles on autotrader the other day for £40k, so basically the same as it cost new. And it wasn't particularly highly spec'd. It's now gone so I guess it sold.

They’ve all gone!!!!

I’ve just checked the VW Website for a Beach and the last one is now showing as reserved!

395A4864-79ED-4F80-87C3-B842C1048B76.png

Thinking of selling our Beach, but not sure of its value. Any suggestions on how much to value it at, not much to compare with.
Beach 150 dsg reflex silver May 2019 3 seater bench

10100 miles
Options Night heater, LED headlamps, rear lights and headlamp washers.
Sat Nav
Towbar.
Silver awning.
Comfort mattress/flexi board.
30mm lowering kit.
Parking sensors front and back.
Plus vw mats ,seatcovers,bumper protector even still has plastic floor covering.
Non dealer options fitted- Slidepod kitchen unit.
Haven't tried dealer yet as happy to sell privately.
Drives superbly and is unmarked.
Many thanks
With night heater and LEDs, I’d take a stab at around 44-45k?
I’d possibly remove the Slidepod and either sell it separately or by separate negotiation.

Back