Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Option regrets?

Wow! 15 x Agree's to my post, thanks guys!

Gave you one xtra ....you are realy getting a kick out of this so it seems.

I'm pretty sure the brakes on the 150 t6 are as big as the 204.

In fact I was quite alarmed the other day to notice the brake callipers are so large on the front they only clear the stick on balancing weights by literally around 2-3mm, so it would be impossible to fit bigger brakes without going to 18" wheels.
The standard Beach has 16" wheels. The option that I mentioned is/was, as I recall, a relatively inexpensive upgrade to 17" wheels with larger more powerful brakes. Whilst I haven't found the current ones lacking, I am all for better brakes if they are available at a reasonable price. However, I am not sure if this option is still available.

The standard Beach has 16" wheels. The option that I mentioned is/was, as I recall, a relatively inexpensive upgrade to 17" wheels with larger more powerful brakes. Whilst I haven't found the current ones lacking, I am all for better brakes if they are available at a reasonable price. However, I am not sure if this option is still available.

Ok, makes sense - I was referring to the Ocean which doesn't have a 16" option

I regret selling my Peugeot 205 for 150 quid. wish I'd kept it. does that count?
If it does then I regret cutting up a 1978 RS2000 to make an awful kit car back in 1990. It was probably salvageable and if I'd had space and a crystal ball I'd have just left it under a tarp for 27 years then sold it for silly money.

Doesn't appear on the Beach configurator now so presume it's been rationalised out.

I only regret not having aircon in the back, although kids haven't complained yet and UK not usually that hot.
Surprised everyone needs super bright LED headlights too- how fast are you people driving down dark country lanes?!!

I'm really very unhappy with the headlights. I have the basic headlights with H4 bulbs, (twin filaments bulbs). I've never had such bad lights on any of my previous cars.
It's a shame that VW installs such bad things on a car of this price
The LEDs were really too expensive, but H7 headlights would probably have been better.

I am also disappointed not to have air conditioning in the rear. My passenger suffered this summer. (I have Climatic and not Climatronic).

I do not think I was well advised by the dealer

I am also disappointed not to have air conditioning in the rear. My passenger suffered this summer. (I have Climatic and not Climatronic).
Ocean Calis in the UK now come with 3 zone climatronic as standard, is this not the case in mainland Europe?

This thread just shows how much folks' needs vary according to Cali lifestyle. The points about LED headlights for example: if you use your Cali as everyday transport I can totally see how much decent headlights would matter. On the other hand, we've quite rarely driven our Cali after dark (usually pitched up and a bottle or more down by nightfall) so the crap lights are a non-issue for us.

Also can't believe people were even thinking about leaving keys in the vehicle even in the safe box.
What do you do when you go swimming at the beach?
1. Swim with your keys,
2. Leave your keys with your towel on the beach,
3. Hide your key in your van and swim with a non-electronic rigid key,
4. Not swim because of the key issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone have any opinion regrets?
Not really - we ticked most option boxes. The one we use least is the power folding wing mirrors. Adaptive Cruise Control works beautifully with the DSG gearbox. After someone rolled backwards into us in Swidnica I regret not fitting a dashcam.

If it does then I regret cutting up a 1978 RS2000 to make an awful kit car back in 1990. It was probably salvageable and if I'd had space and a crystal ball I'd have just left it under a tarp for 27 years then sold it for silly money.
Ohhhh now that's a real regret.... like my RS1600 I sold for a grand in 1990 one old man owned before me .why didn't I just keep it...I want another now they go for mental money...now there's a huge regret

What do you do when you go swimming at the beach?
1. Swim with your keys,
2. Leave your keys with your towel on the beach,
3. Hide your key in your van and swim with a non-electronic rigid key,
4. Not swim because of the key issue?

Why not do what most surfers do in cornwall and use a keysafe attached round the tow eye on the vehicle with a combination lock?

Ocean Calis in the UK now come with 3 zone climatronic as standard, is this not the case in mainland Europe?
Ocean California is also with Climatronic as standard in Belgium. But mine is a Coast version with Climatic as standard.

Why not do what most surfers do in cornwall and use a keysafe attached round the tow eye on the vehicle with a combination lock?
Intrguing, I've seen those things, I assumed people left other stuff in them other than car keys because most UK motor insurance policies exclude theft if the vehicle's keys are left in or on the vehicle when it is unattended.

Intrguing, I've seen those things, I assumed people left other stuff in them other than car keys because most UK motor insurance policies exclude theft if the vehicle's keys are left in or on the vehicle when it is unattended.

This whole subject has been debated at length in several other threads, eg:
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/what-to-do-with-keys-when-surfing.15198/

As @hotel california would say, the 'key' to using this forum is the use of the search function...

:Iamsorry

I was just passing comment on another comment

Yeah but that was how the Great Surf Key War of 2016 started. Although it was not quite as bloody as the Second Ocean-v-Beach War of the previous year. And I'm not even going to mention 'Goodbye Brussels Hello Burnley'. Damn.

:happy

Well I can't get waze or google maps on app connect, only apple maps which I don't get on with so have continued with my garmin
Regards
Simon

I'm android so google maps not apple ... however I use garmin as well because the phone data connection is not reliable enough and if it was my only means of navigation I'd still be driving round and round the peak district!

I'm android so google maps not apple ... however I use garmin as well because the phone data connection is not reliable enough and if it was my only means of navigation I'd still be driving round and round the peak district!

It is for this exact reason we changed from Apple to Android as I was fed up with Apple telling me what I can and can't do ! When using Android Auto with AppConnect you have loads more choices of what you can use.

There is also the HERE mapping application on Android with offline data and routing. I don't know if it's available on Apple. It is a great standby if you have problems with your favorite mapping app.
I don't know if it's App Connect friendly.

Last edited:
can you use waze? I can only get google maps

I use both and have Google downloaded so Google can be used offline. If no signal search using the phone first and then connect to Appconnect.

Back