Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Stop/Start function - starting to stop me using it.

Just a quick Victor Meldrewesque moan.

Does anyone else find the stop/start function slightly irritating?

If you pull up at a red traffic light or stop and are unable to proceed for a while then it's fine. However for those all too frequent occasions when you are in stop/start traffic conjestion it always seems to conk out just when the car in front has started to move again. So as soon as the engine has stopped you immediately have to fire it up again. This means that under these circumstances I usually find myself turning the function off which rather defeats the object of it.

There, I've said my bit. I'll shut up now.
Totally agree Boris.

Stop in the middle of the road to turn right in traffic and it stops, just pausing at a roundabout, it stops. Then two minutes later in a long queue at a red light when you know you are there for a good minute and it stays on! Or even more infuriating, it goes off and then realises it shouldn't have and immediately restarts...

I do try the lighter brake touch which is OK, but not really the solution to the inconsistency.

Oh, and reversing! Surely it should NOT go off when stopping in reverse as 90% of the time the next action is moving off forward..

And then you pull up to park, it stops... Pull on the handbrake and move the gear to Park, it restarts just before you turn off the engine to get out...

Great idea, but 'needs improvement'.

That's what I thought, but it can often stop at the second giveaway junction I come to when I leave home.
Remember it is looking at the Engine temperature, NOT the coolant temperature which is what the temperature gauge on the Dashboard is showing.

Totally agree Boris.

Stop in the middle of the road to turn right in traffic and it stops, just pausing at a roundabout, it stops. Then two minutes later in a long queue at a red light when you know you are there for a good minute and it stays on! Or even more infuriating, it goes off and then realises it shouldn't have and immediately restarts...

I do try the lighter brake touch which is OK, but not really the solution to the inconsistency.

Oh, and reversing! Surely it should NOT go off when stopping in reverse as 90% of the time the next action is moving off forward..

And then you pull up to park, it stops... Pull on the handbrake and move the gear to Park, it restarts just before you turn off the engine to get out...

Great idea, but 'needs improvement'.
Well mine doesn't do any of that at all.
Never had it work when stopped for L or R turn with indicators On, nor in Reverse, ever. Also it has never re-started when Parking and in P with handbrake On.

Might I suggest it may not be working correctly?

Well mine doesn't do any of that at all.
Never had it work when stopped for L or R turn with indicators On, nor in Reverse, ever. Also it has never re-started when Parking and in P with handbrake On.

Might I suggest it may not be working correctly?
Or it's been 'improved' ???

I will start taking more note of when it doesn't work as expected and get the dealer to look at it.

Interesting what you say about the indicators, because it does cut out in those circumstances.

(Edit) Reverse... It does cut out when braking during manoeuvres with reverse, but now you have me thinking if it's when R is selected or after going from R to D, before pulling off. More attention required (instead of just reaching for the override and swearing!)

Park - you've got me thinking, is it the order in doing it in? I'll have to pay more attention... I've now got into the habit, when pulling into my drive, of hitting the Parking Sensor button (walls to judge) and Stop/Start override because of how it behaves...

Last edited:
I find my 2014 Cali works great. If my foot is on the clutch it doesn't activate so during all important functions engine runs. If I am stopped for a while I put into neutral and if she is warm and happy she turns off. Love it.

It's easier for the computer to know what you're planning when you've got a clutch pedal :) I can imagine it's a bit trickier with DSG

Remember it is looking at the Engine temperature, NOT the coolant temperature which is what the temperature gauge on the Dashboard is showing.

MFD shows oil temperature too

Our T6 turns off engine before van is halted if it is left activated. I usually keep it turned off.

I have exactly the same problem with my T6, totally erratic operation and will turn the engine off at the most inconvenient moment but then keep it running when it should stop. I would like to reprogramme it so that it is normally off but doubt that is possible so first job after starting is to turn it off. Seems to me that they have turned the sensitivity up for the T6 and ruined the function in the process.

I have exactly the same problem with my T6, totally erratic operation and will turn the engine off at the most inconvenient moment but then keep it running when it should stop. I would like to reprogramme it so that it is normally off but doubt that is possible so first job after starting is to turn it off. Seems to me that they have turned the sensitivity up for the T6 and ruined the function in the process.
Had to meet Euro 6 standards somehow.:thumb;)

I have only driven 800 miles or so in my van, but the stop/start really doesn't bother me. Much of my driving is in London, so it is stopping and starting all the time, and sometimes doesn't stop at all, but so what - it starts up reliably, and I'm rarely the first off at the lights, but so what...?

We also have a Skoda Superb with stop/start. That vehicle has surprised me several times by restarting when I have not been touching anything!

So if I've read correctly what Cali owners have reported so far on this thread, I think a picture is emerging of an emissions management feature that appears to either be a lot more complicated than any of us realised or doesn't work in a uniform fashion on every vehicle.

We also have a Skoda Superb with stop/start. That vehicle has surprised me several times by restarting when I have not been touching anything!

So if I've read correctly what Cali owners have reported so far on this thread, I think a picture is emerging of an emissions management feature that appears to either be a lot more complicated than any of us realised or doesn't work in a uniform fashion on every vehicle.
Engine temperature trigger? Maybe A/C related?

A wee bit off topic?........We have a Skoda Yeti 2014 that has no Stop/Start feature - best car ever :thumb

Edit: After the Cali!!

Last edited:
Worked great on my Volvo, okay on a BMW and a pain on the VW. As such it always get switched off on the VW

What really winds me up is it turning itself off (if I forgot to deactivate it) only for it to restart instantly. It like says oops I shouldn't have done that.........

See post number 37 by Loz in this thread about reprogramming.
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/blue-motion-not-working.5289/page-2#post-160869

I find it pretty poor and a bit scary when it cuts out at a busy junction, thus, we turn it off on all journeys, unless square wheeled somewhere.

Plus, with a sleeping toddler, TURN IT OFF. :-D

Our T6 turns off engine before van is halted if it is left activated. I usually keep it turned off.
I don't believe that should be happening. Might want to get it checked out.

Mike

This can not be right!
Need engine running for correct operation of Brakes (servo) and Steering (Power Assisted). You should get VW to look at this - it could be safety related matter.

Just a couple of short trips today, but the following observations: -
Blower off, rear heated window on, DRL on, coolant temp rock bottom, outside temp 6.5C, oil temp not registered, stopped within 1/4 mile of home. Switched blower on -restarted.
Indicators on - still stops.
Foot brake, stops, put into park restarts with handbrake on, when foot brake released (sometimes before, but guess that is just the computer thinking 'whoops').
Virtually always stops when blower off, even with headlights on (halogens), but rarely when blower on. A/C on when blower on.
Wheel angle doesn't seem to stop it stopping, but more investigation required.
Not had chance to check out the reverse/drive situation closely.

Last edited:
There is a clear list of conditions when the Start/Stop feature is activated in the manual. Good place to start to try and understand what is going on. I know its easy to say that but worth a few minutes just to help understand. Certainly helped me.

There is a clear list of conditions when the Start/Stop feature is activated in the manual. Good place to start to try and understand what is going on. I know its easy to say that but worth a few minutes just to help understand. Certainly helped me.
I read it again after this thread started, but it seems to be missing the section "has a mind of its own!"

Back