Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Replacing T5 Caravelle radiator - help please?!

mac98aojp

mac98aojp

Vehicle
Just browsing
Hi everyone

I'm no mechanic, and would really appreciate any help.

Our 8yr old Caravelle (47k) has a leaking radiator (confirmed by local garage as coolant tank regularly running low).

They've said it's a long repair as full front off, including lights etc. A quick YouTube search seems to suggest it's just the grill that's removed and radiator quite simply replaced.

Also, is there any advice on whether to replace the radiator or is there a more temporary repair whilst we decide what to do next (we're in London and possible need to get rid of this diesel).

Thanks

Adam

If it's not leaking too much, you could try a compound like radweld (just add in the right proportion to the coolant in the radiator). If it works, O.K. if it doesn't, nothing lost.
My (late) father told me that adding an egg to a warm radiator was a common ploy "in the good old days" to stop a leak.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

I'm no mechanic, and would really appreciate any help.

Our 8yr old Caravelle (47k) has a leaking radiator (confirmed by local garage as coolant tank regularly running low).

They've said it's a long repair as full front off, including lights etc. A quick YouTube search seems to suggest it's just the grill that's removed and radiator quite simply replaced.

Also, is there any advice on whether to replace the radiator or is there a more temporary repair whilst we decide what to do next (we're in London and possible need to get rid of this diesel).

Thanks

Adam
Radweld?

If you are methodical and don't mind spending 1/2 a day unbolting wheelarch bits to get at bumper mountings, taking off bumper, swapping radiator out and in it isn't impossible. I changed my intercooler on a T5. If the thought of all that brings you out in a cold sweat go with the radweld/mechanic.

I think its only the bumper that needs to be removed.

i would choose another workshop and get the radiator replaced.

Back