Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Road Trip - France, Spain, Portugal

Day 24
Salamanca. Nice drive out the bottom end of the Picos, great mountain road. Joined a big dual carriageway heading south, drove over an hour before we saw another vehicle in either direction, weird. Put on some good tunes, munched some more miles in the van, great road trip day. Another couple of hours and we arrived at ‘Camping Don Quijote’ , seems nice, it’s busy.

Last edited:
Great thread thank you. How have you found Spain for the dogs? Dog friendly?
It’s ok. No problem on campsites, but it’s out of season, I think in season there are more restrictions. You can’t take them on public transport, unless they fit in a bag. Shops and restaurants, mixed. Obviously you have to be mindful of the heat on hot days, plenty of water and shade.

France was much better.

Day 26
Welcome to Portugal !
Last night we planned to go to Porto, but it keeps raining there, so this morning we changed our mind. A 4hr drive down empty dual carriageway brought us to ‘camping Pelinos’, just outside of Tomar, in central Portugal just north of Lisbon. Campsite is rural, bit hippy but nice little site. Went for a walk, saw a snake !

Photo for @kurienp
IMG_6955.jpeg

IMG_6957.jpeg

Last edited:
If you're still there tomorrow i highly recommend a visit to Convento De Christo ...... we went there a few years ago in a previous van ........ here is a 'blog entry' if you feel inclined ........

If you're still there tomorrow i highly recommend a visit to Convento De Christo ...... we went there a few years ago in a previous van ........ here is a 'blog entry' if you feel inclined ........

Hi, yes we plan to visit Tomar tomorrow.
I’m now busy scouring your blog for tips.

We plan to eventually make our way down through Portugal and back along southern Spain, Cordoba, Granada etc. perhaps avoiding the most developed resorts along the coast.

Any tips on good spots gratefully received.

Hi, yes we plan to visit Tomar tomorrow.
I’m now busy scouring your blog for tips.

We plan to eventually make our way down through Portugal and back along southern Spain, Cordoba, Granada etc. perhaps avoiding the most developed resorts along the coast.

Any tips on good spots gratefully received.
Fatima is a very interesting town not far from Tomar.

Recommend Ronda in southern Spain. Nice site about 20 min walk into the town. Bullring is impressive as is the well documented ‘Puente Nuevo’.

Back