Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Roof bellow 'stiffeners'

B

Bjohnson

VIP Member
can the stiffeners be removed/replaced?

Lowering roof in some high winds, was so focused on the rear section as the bellows were blowing out towards the roof hinge, I didn't notice the front section had blown outside the roof.

It looks like the strip that's sown into the inside of the bellows has deformed slightly. The strip is inside a sleeve, can it be removed so I can straighten it out again? Doesn't look like it can be removed with roof up, but maybe with roof partly lowered??

Pretty annoyed I missed this!

The stiffener on the passenger side of our van has broken.
Despite having the bungy round the roof when we closed it at Brean last week the stiffener pushed the canvas out and it trapped got trapped slightly in the pantograph. Even though it was being watched by a couple of people it just suddenly popped out sideways and couldn't stop it before it was trapped.
I doubt it will straighten if it has deformed, plastic isn't like steel that will bend back sometimes.

Possibly with a hairdrier or hot air gun it will straighten. Great care would be needed in case of material damage.

can the stiffeners be removed/replaced?

Lowering roof in some high winds, was so focused on the rear section as the bellows were blowing out towards the roof hinge, I didn't notice the front section had blown outside the roof.

It looks like the strip that's sown into the inside of the bellows has deformed slightly. The strip is inside a sleeve, can it be removed so I can straighten it out again? Doesn't look like it can be removed with roof up, but maybe with roof partly lowered??

Pretty annoyed I missed this!
The stiffener is sown into the seam at the top and bottom of the bellows so probably not replaceable

Could you cut a tiny slit at one end & fish it out?, or slide in some electric flex or similar?

Pics needed.

A reminder not to be complacent!

After a few hundred ups and downs without incident with the roof of our previous T5 , we’ve just had a wake up call that you can never be too careful.

Lowering the roof on our new T6 in still weather, both side windows open a inch or so (sorry 26mm+/-), side door open, standing between the two front seats keeping a close eye on both sides adjacent to the scissors, thinking how much better the new T6 roof bellows fabric was, yes less opaque but much more durable, and the side straps work better. At the final point of closure, still focusing my attention on the fabric sides while making sure not to squash my head, there was a great big bang.

What the hell was that?

Leaping out expecting the worst, but not thinking what could have happened, I found that the fabric from the front of the roof was hanging out above the windscreen. I’d not noticed this happening because I'd been focusing all my attention to the rear, which I'd always previously done finding that the front bellows folds in perfectly on its own.

Luckily raising roof again there was no damage to the actual aluminium. What had happened was the top plastic insert in the folding sleeve, had under stress of going the wrong way, snapped in half. Luckily the roof still operates ok with the bellows folding in, it now relies mostly on the lower plastic insert to guide it in, but has operated since on its own with no assistance. Quite what caused it to go the wrong way on this particular occasion I don't know, perhaps there is always the possibility this could randomly happen, so I shall be much more vigilant in the future at checking the front as well as both sides when the roof is lowered. Has anyone else had this happened without explanation? Anyway, a very lucky escape!

Ours went the wrong way once and is now slightly deformed. I blame my big head for getting in the way but don't tell Jane, it's still her fault.... ;)

Fortunately she never reads the forum :cheers

Head deflection could be a possible cause, allbeit I think an unlikely one, because by the time it reaches head height in descending it would already have formed quite a positive inward facing V. Unless you are leaning backwards against the fabric at the start of the descent, the stiffener would be hard to push outwards. The T6 stiffeners are quite firm and I feel they would have to have started to deflect outwards right from the start of the process.

I think I'm now going to have to go out to the van and do some tests because having done this post, I'm now intrigued to see what could have actually caused it. Probably a good idea anyway to help negate it happening in the future.

the fabric from the front of the roof was hanging out above the windscreen.
This also happened to us last month on our 6 after 100's of safe lowerings on our 5. Lowering in windy conditions and watching the rear bellows the front just "bellowed" out the plastic insert did not snap but one hell of a click (and took a lot of force to pull it in to click back in the right way) Lowering the roof can be like a panto "it's behind you" came to to mind. Once folded in and down no further issue with bellows or insert strip. I like the new material of the bellows seems stronger and drys quickly with not water ingress also does not appear to "wick" through.
lowering checks now include the front as well as rear.

Thanks for these posts. Will have to have an even closer look myself on how the roof folds in.

Mike

Thought only at this time --
We mostly use a bungee around the outside of the roof canvas but would it not be more beneficial to use a bungee on the inside looped through/around the folding stiffeners on each side and the front one. Forming a triangle.
This would obviously be a just before lowering fitment and removal after raising system.Would only need enough tension to ensure inward folding.
If an inner Brandrup or Comforz liner were in place their windows would need opening to get access to the stiffeners.

@SusiBus

I'm pretty sure it was my head. But ours is a Beach so you don't have the scissors to worry about and also a 5 not a 6, so maybe softer plastic - ours has a crease and didn't snap.

But then your head may be harder than mine! ;)

Sorry to resurrect this 2-year-old thread

Did anyone find out if the front stiffing strips can be replaced? Our front, lower, one has snapped in two so needs help folding inwards when closing.
I am sure I can manufacture a replacement with some fibreglass strakes, but I thought I would find out if a replacement had been sourced first?

I might also try and obtain a scrap bellows and recover the strips from there also.

Last edited:
A reminder not to be complacent!

After a few hundred ups and downs without incident with the roof of our previous T5 , we’ve just had a wake up call that you can never be too careful.

Lowering the roof on our new T6 in still weather, both side windows open a inch or so (sorry 26mm+/-), side door open, standing between the two front seats keeping a close eye on both sides adjacent to the scissors, thinking how much better the new T6 roof bellows fabric was, yes less opaque but much more durable, and the side straps work better. At the final point of closure, still focusing my attention on the fabric sides while making sure not to squash my head, there was a great big bang.

What the hell was that?

Leaping out expecting the worst, but not thinking what could have happened, I found that the fabric from the front of the roof was hanging out above the windscreen. I’d not noticed this happening because I'd been focusing all my attention to the rear, which I'd always previously done finding that the front bellows folds in perfectly on its own.

Luckily raising roof again there was no damage to the actual aluminium. What had happened was the top plastic insert in the folding sleeve, had under stress of going the wrong way, snapped in half. Luckily the roof still operates ok with the bellows folding in, it now relies mostly on the lower plastic insert to guide it in, but has operated since on its own with no assistance. Quite what caused it to go the wrong way on this particular occasion I don't know, perhaps there is always the possibility this could randomly happen, so I shall be much more vigilant in the future at checking the front as well as both sides when the roof is lowered. Has anyone else had this happened without explanation? Anyway, a very lucky escape!
SusiBus .
Sorry to hear this . Only one thing can cause this , greater air pressure inside forcing canvas front forward probably mid closure as rear stiffeners had started to close . What was the wind direction ? Could have been a little gust / shift mid closure. Even just a few mph wind can do this . Using side door is tricky as only one and big! Best to open front leeward window fully and check heating fan off and diesel heater off unless wind on nose then best to open back door only , effectively creating low air pressure inside the van .

Could happen to anyone . Distraction is the worst thing . My roof canvas was replaced by main dealer after they managed to break the stiffeners whilst inside the garage ! No quibble speedy replacement with new type canvas . So everyone can get caught out .

Last edited:
I always ensure that the side door is open when opening/closing the bellows.

You can not see or control the safe closing of the bellows from just watching from outside.

When closing the bellows, I stop when about half way down to check that the bellows and stiffeners are folding neatly inside.

I do this by standing up in the hatch. I then pull the bellows in to shape before completing the closure.

Sorry to resurrect this 2-year-old thread

Did anyone find out if the front stiffing strips can be replaced? Our front, lower, one has snapped in two so needs help folding inwards when closing.
I am sure I can manufacture a replacement with some fibreglass strakes, but I thought I would find out if a replacement had been sourced first?

I might also try and obtain a scrap bellows and recover the strips from there also.
Did you ever get anything sorted? if so how did you resolve the problem

Yes, I purchased a 500mm x 30mm carbon fibre batten and it slid in perfectly from the slot in the bottom.

I’ll update with a link to it later
Have you had chance to test it for real yet?, if so how well has it performed

Slide it out how Loz? Isn't it stitched top and bottom with the rubber seal at both ends? Just curious how you managed to replace it.

The plastic one was but that was the bit that broke on mine and the solid replacement has been perfect.
Thanks for your response but I don't understand how the roof can close if there isn't a join/hinge in the stiffener - can you explain please. Mine is broken in a couple of places