Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Safe in our beds?

Those alarms usually can detect propane and LPG so not completely useless hopefully. Not sure exactly what narcotic gas is? Laughing gas?
Yes, they supposedly pick up butane/propane but not that useful unless the whole van is full of those gases, which are heavier than air so likely to be at floor level and the instructions were to fit midway up the wall. You would smell the " odour agents- mercaptans " included in the gas canister before the alarm went off.

We had Narcotic gas/vapor analysers in the Operating Theatres - about £5000 + /unit for a standalone unit, so I don't know how a £48 unit compares. Well I do know - next to useless.

Just as a matter of interest @GrannyJen do you lower the roof at night when not on site?

Sometimes but not last night as it was authorised parking and I had no reason to be in stealth mode.

If someone is around and up to no good then I also like to advertise the fact that the van is occupied. 95% of the "no good" action likely to happen would involve someone wanting to nick something from an unattended van, or steal the van itself, and the fact that someone is in it and going to be making one hell of a racket, alarms going off all over the place, lights on, and probably engine started would be a pretty big deterrent.

My house is easier to break into than my van, and if I go away I leave all sorts of indicators on suggesting the house is occupied (which it is at this moment anyway) so why not with my camper?

Looks like its love and peace all round then. Sort of goes with the Vee Dub thing I admit.

I just got back from the site of the massacre in Vegas - walked past it 24 hours previous.
Nutters there be.

I have listened to many first hand stories of attacks on people for their property in South Africa too. Where there are divisions in society there will be victims.

On balance though, I think you are all generally correct and we should just heed Granny Jen's advice and get on with it.

Those alarms usually can detect propane and LPG so not completely useless hopefully. Not sure exactly what narcotic gas is? Laughing gas?
Doesn't seem to be harmful as shown by Politicians during their annual conference sessions. Sorry getting confused with hot air.:Depressed

As Morrisey is currently telling us:

"Stop watching the news
Because the news contrives to frighten you
To make you feel small and alone
To make you feel that your mind isn't your own"

Personally I always thought Morrisey was a bit of a pillock, far too much mardy-ness and flouncing for one person.

I think the greatest danger comes from within the car. The largest risk is to be gassed by your own sleeping partner (or yourself)? There is not even always a warning smell to it … :D:eek:

Last edited:
Back