Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland this (2019/20) winter

Digger

Digger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Glencoe and nearby Fort William area (Harry Potter viaduct) are achievable > Invercoe site at Glencoe is open all year but around Christmas and New Year holiday maybe booking advisable

Digger

Digger

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Interesting read from BBC . This has been discussed for some time due to massive increase in the big whites all over the place.

Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Glencoe and nearby Fort William area (Harry Potter viaduct) are achievable > Invercoe site at Glencoe is open all year but around Christmas and New Year holiday maybe booking advisable
I would second this location as a good choice for when you are around. In the early 1990's I saw the sands of Morar dusted with snow which was totally idyllic. There were incredible amounts of snow on the way to Fort William and we were lucky to get through in the wee small hours!
You make me want to go too now!

Quentin SF

Quentin SF

Vehicle
Just browsing
This is a great thread! I’m also thinking of heading north of the border over Christmas and am very grateful for all the beautiful west-coast suggestions, though I was thinking the weather might be better if I stayed further east...?

Another thing I’m wondering is whether to spend 60 quid on some AutoSocks?. Any thoughts on how likely I am to make use of them, and how good they are if so, would be welcome! Not much call for them here in East Anglia...

W

Wycoller

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Auto socks are brilliant. Worth it even if only used once to get you out of difficulties.

Skylark2.0

Skylark2.0

The adventure with Starlight Expess begins
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
This is a great thread! I’m also thinking of heading north of the border over Christmas and am very grateful for all the beautiful west-coast suggestions, though I was thinking the weather might be better if I stayed further east...?

Another thing I’m wondering is whether to spend 60 quid on some AutoSocks?. Any thoughts on how likely I am to make use of them, and how good they are if so, would be welcome! Not much call for them here in East Anglia...
What are auto socks?

Quentin SF

Quentin SF

Vehicle
Just browsing
Yes, Google is your friend. :) But YouTube is also your friend - I’ve seen one or two reviews with people doing ‘before’ and ‘after’ demos of the ability to get up gentle snowy slopes, using AutoSocks, that they couldn’t get up before.

Smaller, lighter, much cheaper and easier to fit than snowchains, apparently. The downside, as mentioned above, is that they don’t last long on non-snowy surfaces: they’re to get you out of a spot of trouble and then you need to remove them. But the other thing I’ve heard is that they’re not so easy to put on if you‘re already stuck. So you need to recognise the potential spot of trouble in advance!

I guess my question was more around how many winter trips to Scotland I’d need to make before I was likely to need them (or something similar)!

Tom Rae

Tom Rae

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Generally the weather is milder on the West (Gulf Stream) but is also a wee bit wetter. Snow is less likely if you stick by the coast and avoid the A9!

Tom

bvddobb

bvddobb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Taking in all your advice and having read the 'Slow Road Scotland' book, this is our plan, now:

Schermafbeelding 2019-12-09 om 11.54.36.png

The green campsites are our planned stays, we plan to travel clockwise. Hoping to take in Loch Lomond, Glencoe, a bit of Harry Potter, a tiny bit of Skye, Loch Ness, the Cairngorms and the Trossachs. Wow.

But no guarantee: circumstances, the weather, our momentary whims: they may still drive us to a completely different itinerary after all! We will try to keep you posted.

Tom Rae

Tom Rae

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
In winter, the Lecht road, through the Cairngorms from Tomintoul to Braemar, is often blocked due to ice and snow and is ill advised. In all other seasons it is a great route :) You may also find problems with the A9 if the weather turns colder. Better to keep West imho. The road from Glen Coe down to Loch Etive is very scenic however it is also virtually uninhabited so therefore is unlikely to be treated and it does twist and turn and it could be icy and it is not a good place to get stuck as help is a good distance away and there is minimal phone reception ......

Last edited:
bvddobb

bvddobb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
In winter, the Lecht road, through the Cairngorms from Tomintoul to Braemar, is often blocked due to ice and snow and is ill advised. [...] You may also find problems with the A9 if the weather turns colder. [...]The road from Glen Coe down to Loch Etive [...] could be icy and it is not a good place to get stuck as help is a good distance away and there is minimal phone reception ......
Thanks, Tom! You obviously know your way around there!

We do realise that the weather may force us on a completely different route once we're there. Perhaps indeed stay West, do more of Skye, that sort of thing.

We also found this site that is supposed to list weather incidents and snow closures on Scottish roads (currently none...) Don't know if it is as accurate and current as the Icelandic version, but we will be monitoring it!

Schermafbeelding 2019-12-09 om 12.52.38.png

Tom Rae

Tom Rae

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Cali On Order
Thanks, Tom! You obviously know your way around there!

We do realise that the weather may force us on a completely different route once we're there. Perhaps indeed stay West, do more of Skye, that sort of thing.

We also found this site that is supposed to list weather incidents and snow closures on Scottish roads (currently none...) Don't know if it is as accurate and current as the Icelandic version, but we will be monitoring it!

View attachment 53259
Cheers bvdobb, I know all the roads you have identified - I have lived here a loooong time. By all means pm me or contact me when you are here or indeed anyone else who is visiting Scotland, happy to help.

MartG

MartG

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
The traffic Scotland is good for the major routes, just be aware that the conditions can change very quickly.

There are snow gates at each end of the high passes and they are usually shut well in advance of bad weather.

bvddobb

bvddobb

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
There are snow gates at each end of the high passes and they are usually shut well in advance of bad weather.
As they should be! Thanks Mart, we will be bringing snow chains for you-never-know, but we have been where conditions can change very quickly before and we won't be taking any risks! Just looking forward to a no doubt wonderful trip!

Quentin SF

Quentin SF

Vehicle
Just browsing
Great - I may see you up there.

The Arisaig beaches are lovely - at least in the summer - especially if, like me, you’re a fan of the film Local Hero :)

Our Partners