Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland this (2019/20) winter

Thanks, Tom! You obviously know your way around there!

We do realise that the weather may force us on a completely different route once we're there. Perhaps indeed stay West, do more of Skye, that sort of thing.

We also found this site that is supposed to list weather incidents and snow closures on Scottish roads (currently none...) Don't know if it is as accurate and current as the Icelandic version, but we will be monitoring it!

View attachment 53259
Cheers bvdobb, I know all the roads you have identified - I have lived here a loooong time. By all means pm me or contact me when you are here or indeed anyone else who is visiting Scotland, happy to help.

The traffic Scotland is good for the major routes, just be aware that the conditions can change very quickly.

There are snow gates at each end of the high passes and they are usually shut well in advance of bad weather.

There are snow gates at each end of the high passes and they are usually shut well in advance of bad weather.
As they should be! Thanks Mart, we will be bringing snow chains for you-never-know, but we have been where conditions can change very quickly before and we won't be taking any risks! Just looking forward to a no doubt wonderful trip!

Great - I may see you up there.

The Arisaig beaches are lovely - at least in the summer - especially if, like me, you’re a fan of the film Local Hero :)

We’re also heading to the highlands for a week over new year.
Any recommendations for small traditional new year celebrations?
Ideally Cairngorms or Glencoe way but happy to travel further.
Looking for a cosy pub with bagpipes, maybe a traditional dance or even something like an outdoor celebration in a village.
Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just a very practical question: can one pay with bank cards easily, everywhere in Scotland? Or do we need to bring wads of Sterling (should have bought them before the election...)?

You should be fine anywhere with a VISA / Mastercard, etc, but take a small amount of cash (£50) if it's easy to get hold of, but not essential!

Any recommendations for small traditional new year celebrations?

Take a bottle of whisky with you...

Ideally Cairngorms or Glencoe way but happy to travel further.

Cairngorms - Aviemore will be very busy / noisy. Stonehaven has the fireball parade.
Glencoe - Kings House or Clachaig Inn will also be very busy. You may struggle to get in to any of the hotels / pubs.

Looking for a cosy pub with bagpipes, maybe a traditional dance or even something like an outdoor celebration in a village.

Just about any large village / town should have a pub / hall dance going on. Most small communities these days, folks just go round the friends houses. The TV is usually dire!

If you are off the beaten track, search out a bothy, most usually have a gathering with some alcohol / music involvement...

We are off!

b63a1b0aeb84b5e70b97738218c27593.jpg

The weather forecast for the South-West (Loch Lomond/Trossachs, Glencoe, Skye) is not so good for next week. We’ll have another look tomorrow morning uppn arrival: who knows, we may still be heading for the Cairngorms or the North!

cdf253761ee21b334345ed620812b2ce.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

I'm at Port a Bhaigh at present - thanks for the recommendations above! Wonderful spot. Very windy, rather dark, though remarkably mild. Not cold at all, but I'm sleeping with the roof down to reduce buffeting!

I was planning to take the ferry to Lewis tomorrow night, but since the forecast is for 30mph winds gusting above 50mph, I think it may be cancelled, so I've postponed my booking until Monday morning, when the windspeed should just be in the 20s :) When I'm there, though, I must confess I'm cheating and staying in an AirBnB for a few nights, before starting the long trek back to East Anglia. (which is currently about 4 degrees colder than here!)

Enjoy the trip..

We’re currently passing Tongue having started the NC500 three days ago going anti-clockwise..

Spent last night packed up at the lighthouse at John O’Groats

Can’t believe how warm it is!! 8.5 degrees today!!

114604aba3d48392836b77496f199f56.jpg
9eb6bd8d7734d8a0dcaec033c28dfe67.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're about 50 miles from me up Glen Shee!

Weather looks good for the next few days on the East side...

38CCEAB9-7E23-4EB8-92B8-87E7DADCE516.jpeg

We are near Braemar, now. All campsites in the Cairngorms seem to be booked full for this week... Have a nice wild spot now, with great views of the river Dee and Mar Lodge. Another van just joined us, here.
Tomorrow probably Balmoral, snow roads to Tomintoul and then Inverness. Who knows, we might still dash North from there... Or slowly return South.

Last edited:
So here we are, wild camping in the middle of nowhere. Going out for dinner is no option, so we have to prepare our meal ourselves.

No concessions, though: first a whisky, then new potatoes, seared pears, shoulder of deer, orange/port sauce, coffee and chocolates.
Long live the Cali kitchen!

In all honesty: we did bring a load of Xmas leftovers...
So...: Long live the Cali fridge as well!

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk