Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Scotland this (2019/20) winter

Itinerary advice sought...:

Looking at our 'Scotland inspiration map' and the limited time we have, arriving in Newcastle on Dec. 29 in the morning and leaving from there Jan. 4 in the evening, we think we have to limit ourselves to either:
  1. drive to Glasgow, and visit Loch Lomond area, Trossachs, Glencoe, Harry Potter country and perhaps a dash to Skye;
  2. drive to Edinburgh, and visit the Cairngorms, Devil's Elbow, the Snow Roads;
  3. dash to Inverness, and do a North/Highlands 'figure of eight', a bit of NC500 included.
Knowing that we are looking for as quiet a trip with as few other tourists as possible, which would you good people advise?

Looking at the various campsites' websites, we noticed that they all have low season pricing BUT for the period we are aiming for (last week Dec./first week Jan.): they nearly all price that as high season! Does this mean we have to brace ourselves for high season scenes, with lots of traffic, overflowing campsites, far too many people and noise, where we had hoped to avoid all that, going in mid-winter? :eek:

Looking at our 'Scotland inspiration map' and the limited time we have, arriving in Newcastle on Dec. 29 in the morning and leaving from there Jan. 4 in the evening, we think we have to limit ourselves to either:
  1. drive to Glasgow, and visit Loch Lomond area, Trossachs, Glencoe, Harry Potter country and perhaps a dash to Skye;
  3. dash to Inverness, and do a North/Highlands 'figure of eight', a bit of NC500 included.
Knowing that we are looking for as quiet a trip with as few other tourists as possible, which would you good people advise?

Looking at the various campsites' websites, we noticed that they all have low season pricing BUT for the period we are aiming for (last week Dec./first week Jan.): they nearly all price that as high season! Does this mean we have to brace ourselves for high season scenes, with lots of traffic, overflowing campsites, far too many people and noise, where we had hoped to avoid all that, going in mid-winter? :eek:
New year (Hogmanay) is a big deal in Scotland, Edinburgh is epic.
"Edinburgh's Hogmanay is one of the world's greatest New Year celebrations. Join us for three days of spectacular events, as we show the world how to party!"

Remember Edinburgh NY celebrations event are ticket holders so plan ahead and book. I would rather book than risk just turning up at anysite too. Hopefully it is isnt raining and you have a great time

Loch Lomond / Glencoe / Plockton/ Skye to avoid the New Year crowds, Edinburgh will be manic

21418A97-131F-4598-B431-15531B260C8B.jpeg

3F16B577-F3AD-4308-93BA-5DCC5D77A5DD.jpeg

E97FA635-C615-4E02-982A-C1CD37B31A90.jpeg

421644FA-E13E-4403-9778-B4C3CF5D8F27.jpeg

846ABB54-9216-42B2-913F-489E5A73B60E.jpeg

2377095D-120B-49C7-9FEB-67DB25FA5897.jpeg

417AC282-4CB9-4CD7-B9E6-D51F9E44A8C0.jpeg

509D2B2E-08A5-4C8A-9832-4080160817CA.jpeg

4146A0C0-7F5C-458D-850C-1E42301B6FCA.jpeg

98D76DB1-D926-42E1-94A0-6D1134CEEC99.jpeg

Does this mean we have to brace ourselves for high season scenes, with lots of traffic, overflowing campsites, far too many people and noise, where we had hoped to avoid all that, going in mid-winter? :eek:
Certainly not high traffic. Generally any public holiday period (Easter, October holidays etc) are counted as high season for campsites so I guess that's why. Edinburgh will be very busy but I wouldn't imagine anywhere else is.

If you don't mind driving lots the North West is stunning but remember there is very little day light at this time of year. https/www.sunrise-and-sunset.com/en/sun/united-kingdom/ullapool/2019/december

Please remember that in winter the days are short and the weather can be very bad (wind & snow) so keep an eye on the forecast and be prepared to change.
Generally, if the weather is bad West, head East and vice versa...
The far North, where I'm from, can be very exposed for wind, and combined with snow, has led to many vehicles being stranded with fatalities.
If the weather is good, hard to beat....

Take plenty to keep you happy indoors...

Oh, and remember that between Dec 31st - Jan 3rd, you'll struggle to find anything open / fuel, unless you're near big towns, which are few far West / far North

Last edited:
Glencoe and nearby Fort William area (Harry Potter viaduct) are achievable > Invercoe site at Glencoe is open all year but around Christmas and New Year holiday maybe booking advisable

Glencoe and nearby Fort William area (Harry Potter viaduct) are achievable > Invercoe site at Glencoe is open all year but around Christmas and New Year holiday maybe booking advisable
I would second this location as a good choice for when you are around. In the early 1990's I saw the sands of Morar dusted with snow which was totally idyllic. There were incredible amounts of snow on the way to Fort William and we were lucky to get through in the wee small hours!
You make me want to go too now!

This is a great thread! I’m also thinking of heading north of the border over Christmas and am very grateful for all the beautiful west-coast suggestions, though I was thinking the weather might be better if I stayed further east...?

Another thing I’m wondering is whether to spend 60 quid on some AutoSocks?. Any thoughts on how likely I am to make use of them, and how good they are if so, would be welcome! Not much call for them here in East Anglia...

Auto socks are brilliant. Worth it even if only used once to get you out of difficulties.

This is a great thread! I’m also thinking of heading north of the border over Christmas and am very grateful for all the beautiful west-coast suggestions, though I was thinking the weather might be better if I stayed further east...?

Another thing I’m wondering is whether to spend 60 quid on some AutoSocks?. Any thoughts on how likely I am to make use of them, and how good they are if so, would be welcome! Not much call for them here in East Anglia...
What are auto socks?

Yes, Google is your friend. :) But YouTube is also your friend - I’ve seen one or two reviews with people doing ‘before’ and ‘after’ demos of the ability to get up gentle snowy slopes, using AutoSocks, that they couldn’t get up before.

Smaller, lighter, much cheaper and easier to fit than snowchains, apparently. The downside, as mentioned above, is that they don’t last long on non-snowy surfaces: they’re to get you out of a spot of trouble and then you need to remove them. But the other thing I’ve heard is that they’re not so easy to put on if you‘re already stuck. So you need to recognise the potential spot of trouble in advance!

I guess my question was more around how many winter trips to Scotland I’d need to make before I was likely to need them (or something similar)!

Generally the weather is milder on the West (Gulf Stream) but is also a wee bit wetter. Snow is less likely if you stick by the coast and avoid the A9!

Tom

Taking in all your advice and having read the 'Slow Road Scotland' book, this is our plan, now:

Schermafbeelding 2019-12-09 om 11.54.36.png

The green campsites are our planned stays, we plan to travel clockwise. Hoping to take in Loch Lomond, Glencoe, a bit of Harry Potter, a tiny bit of Skye, Loch Ness, the Cairngorms and the Trossachs. Wow.

But no guarantee: circumstances, the weather, our momentary whims: they may still drive us to a completely different itinerary after all! We will try to keep you posted.

In winter, the Lecht road, through the Cairngorms from Tomintoul to Braemar, is often blocked due to ice and snow and is ill advised. In all other seasons it is a great route :) You may also find problems with the A9 if the weather turns colder. Better to keep West imho. The road from Glen Coe down to Loch Etive is very scenic however it is also virtually uninhabited so therefore is unlikely to be treated and it does twist and turn and it could be icy and it is not a good place to get stuck as help is a good distance away and there is minimal phone reception ......

Last edited:
In winter, the Lecht road, through the Cairngorms from Tomintoul to Braemar, is often blocked due to ice and snow and is ill advised. [...] You may also find problems with the A9 if the weather turns colder. [...]The road from Glen Coe down to Loch Etive [...] could be icy and it is not a good place to get stuck as help is a good distance away and there is minimal phone reception ......
Thanks, Tom! You obviously know your way around there!

We do realise that the weather may force us on a completely different route once we're there. Perhaps indeed stay West, do more of Skye, that sort of thing.

We also found this site that is supposed to list weather incidents and snow closures on Scottish roads (currently none...) Don't know if it is as accurate and current as the Icelandic version, but we will be monitoring it!

Schermafbeelding 2019-12-09 om 12.52.38.png