Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service Interval

Hantshog

Hantshog

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Would someone kindly check their MFD to see when their first service is due.I know its two years, but how many miles. I had an oil service because the display advised me to do so at 9000, but the Garage reset the MFD to next service due in 364 days which is sooner than had they left it alone. The guy did it as he said I'd need to use all my 4 paid up front services in the first four years.
I have the garages mobile unit coming around on Wednesday to set the MFD back to the original setting which was two years but i cant recall the mileage.
204 DSG 4 Motion. Ta

I would not leave 2 years between service intervals on my Florence - annual safety checks on things like the braking system are important in my view and if you drive yours intermittently and mainly under load (I.e. Full of kit) then an annual service is the recommendation. And as you are also 4motion don't let them conveniently "forget" the haldex servicing.

Best of both worlds - Annual Service and 20,000 miles / year.:thumb:thumb

Lookers cannot make there mind up they call/ email every week you need a service oh sorry you don’t

2017 11k ocean

If you are doing low mileage I think it’s even more important to drop the oil every 12 months. Mine will be done every 12 months or 10K miles (just been done). People have differing views on this so each to their own.

I will be servicing my Cali every 12 months/10k on a guesstimate the engine must of completed at least 10 plus million rotations. Always have done on all my vehicles and never had problems...... apart from blowing up 3 engines on a mini metro but who would design an engine and gearbox that share the same oil :Nailbiting

We are taking our Cali in for it's first long life service tomorrow. The MFD anounced that this service was due last Thursday. The vehicle was first registered in March 2016 so is now two years old and has done just over 17500 faultless miles.

If you are doing low mileage I think it’s even more important to drop the oil every 12 months. Mine will be done every 12 months or 10K miles (just been done). People have differing views on this so each to their own.
I’ve always found it odd that you can have either variable or fixed servicing. My van is coming with 2 free Services as long as I take them within 2 Years/20k miles, so I expect I’ll stick to that interval for as long as I have it.

One of our work cars (Passat) has done 50k miles and is only just saying it’s due the 2nd service!!!

We are taking our Cali in for it's first long life service tomorrow. The MFD anounced that this service was due last Thursday. The vehicle was first registered in March 2016 so is now two years old and has done just over 17500 faultless miles.

Hi Borris, would you mind asking SMG if they will be applying an emissions update to T6s when they are serviced. I am not far behind you with our first service.

Thank you.

I’ve always found it odd that you can have either variable or fixed servicing. My van is coming with 2 free Services as long as I take them within 2 Years/20k miles, so I expect I’ll stick to that interval for as long as I have it.

One of our work cars (Passat) has done 50k miles and is only just saying it’s due the 2nd service!!!

An oil service is such a minor cost in the scheme of things it just seems sensible. It would be interesting to see the data, but suspect private owners tend to adopt shorter intervals and companies go for long life. Mine has 3 services and my dealer said it is up to me when I take them. I also think more regular servicing will help when selling, particularly with a vehicle such as a Cali which is quite likely to be sold privately.

Hi Borris, would you mind asking SMG if they will be applying an emissions update to T6s when they are serviced. I am not far behind you with our first service.

Thank you.
Yes, that is my first question on arrival. I will let you know their response.

Yes, that is my first question on arrival. I will let you know their response

That is my concern.
I have run our T6 for a little over a year very happy with its faultless 16000 miles and MPG. I would be worried if updates change this.

Thank you.
Our Bluebell bus went into SMG Tonbridge today for her first long life service. Two campaigns were also resolved. The first involved replacing an oil feed pipe and the second was a replacement engine management sensor (I was told that there had been a faulty batch). However, when I asked if there was to be an emissions update campaign, I got a blank look. So nothing to report on that score.

One interesting thing came out of this service visit though. I had asked them to run a full check on the Eberspacher parking heater. Since I've owned this vehicle I haven't been able to run the parking heater continuously. This is not something that I am likely to do that often but I want it to work correctly when I do. When set at infiniti it correctly cuts out when the set temperature is reached but incorrectly fails to restart when the temperature drops. The technician said that there were too faults logged:
1. Low fuel
2. Low leisure battery.
Now I accept that it won't continue to work if the fuel gets too low but hadn't fully appreciated just how much power it uses when starting this heater. Despite giving the leisure battery a 24-48 hour charge each month I have been regularly using the heater during the recent cold spells. A little too much I suspect. I am going to put it on charge twice monthly from now on. As for the fuel issue, I must start refilling when the tank gets down to half full instead of waiting until the low fuel light comes on. Whether this will cure the problem remains to be seen though.

The other issue I asked them to cure was a persistant rattle coming from the off side B pillar right next to my right ear and..............despite their best efforts it's still there!

Last edited:
Thank you for the detailed report. I will update after our first service next month.

Our Bluebell bus went into SMG Tonbridge today for her first long life service. Two campaigns were also resolved. The first involved replacing an oil feed pipe and the second was a replacement engine management sensor (I was told that there had been a faulty batch). However, when I asked if there was to be an emissions update campaign, I got a blank look. So nothing to report on that score.

One interesting thing came out of this service visit though. I had asked them to run a full check on the Eberspacher parking heater. Since I've owned this vehicle I haven't been able to run the parking heater continuously. This is not something that I am likely to do that often but I want it to work correctly when I do. When set at infiniti it correctly cuts out when the set temperature is reached but incorrectly fails to restart when the temperature drops. The technician said that there were too faults logged:
1. Low fuel
2. Low leisure battery.
Now I accept that it won't continue to work if the fuel gets too low but hadn't fully appreciated just how much power it uses when starting this heater. Despite giving the leisure battery a 24-48 hour charge each month I have been regularly using the heater during the recent cold spells. A little too much I suspect. I am going to put it on charge twice monthly from now on. As for the fuel issue, I must start refilling when the tank gets down to half full instead of waiting until the low fuel light comes on. Whether this will cure the problem remains to be seen though.

The other issue I asked them to cure was a persistant rattle coming from the off side B pillar right next to my right ear and..............despite their best efforts, but it would it's still there!

We’ve had our Cali Ocean from new. 1st Service was at 2years and subsequent service and MOT at 3years.Happy to say we’ve had no major issues with our Cali, wee sink tap came off, but help from this forum got it back on.
My question is at the next MOT, due this April, should I be looking for 1) A Service and 2) Any specifics that I should be aware of and it should cover at the 4year age.
Appreciate any advice as I’m aware of the variation in VW Commercial servicing.
We used the VW Glasgow Commercial for our 1st service but had to go to Edinburgh for 1st MOT and the subsequent service)

We’ve had our Cali Ocean from new. 1st Service was at 2years and subsequent service and MOT at 3years.Happy to say we’ve had no major issues with our Cali, wee sink tap came off, but help from this forum got it back on.
My question is at the next MOT, due this April, should I be looking for 1) A Service and 2) Any specifics that I should be aware of and it should cover at the 4year age.
Appreciate any advice as I’m aware of the variation in VW Commercial servicing.
We used the VW Glasgow Commercial for our 1st service but had to go to Edinburgh for 1st MOT and the subsequent service)
There are Time or Milage specific items.
Cambelt + Water pump , 4 Years or 80,000 miles.
DSG 2 yrs or 40,000 miles .
On the 4 Motion , Haldex Diff 2 yrs or 40,000 miles.
Brake fluid and AirCon also have Timed and Milage but I'm not sure of the intervals. Personally I do them every 2 yrs but I cover high Milage. Now on 120,000 in 8 yrs.
Your Dealership should be able to tell you from the Electronic Service Record.

Don't rely on the dealership mentioning cambelt and DSG oil changes - mine didn't. Its possible they would have eventually but .....

I thought the DSG oil change interval was based only on mileage.

Don't rely on the dealership mentioning cambelt and DSG oil changes - mine didn't. Its possible they would have eventually but .....

I thought the DSG oil change interval was based only on mileage.
Definitely Time or Milage, but I cannot find the original reference.

Definitely Time or Milage, but I cannot find the original reference.
Hmm. If its 2yrs or 40K, the dealer definitely failed in its duty to notify me. Ours was changed at 5yrs and ~40K after I contacted the dealer. I was told it would be due again at 80K.

Thanks for the information and advice, I’m now much better prepared to ask the relevant questions. Will call Glasgow this week for a March date as last year called beginning of February and they couldn’t do it …. had to get Service and MOT in Edinburgh. Didn’t realise these dealerships were so busy !

There are Time or Milage specific items.
Cambelt + Water pump , 4 Years or 80,000 miles.
DSG 2 yrs or 40,000 miles .
On the 4 Motion , Haldex Diff 2 yrs or 40,000 miles.
Brake fluid and AirCon also have Timed and Milage but I'm not sure of the intervals. Personally I do them every 2 yrs but I cover high Milage. Now on 120,000 in 8 yrs.
Your Dealership should be able to tell you from the Electronic Service Record.
A bit of a shock when I contacted dealership as 1) Glasgow , they didn’t mention Cam belt and when I did they said £500 extra for that. 2) Edinburgh did mention Cam belt at 4years but again an additional £500 on top of ‘full service’.
I didn’t realise how expensive it would be … haven’t decided yet whether to use Glasgow or Edinburgh !

Back