Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service Interval

Their £778 is Cambelt and Water pump. They have now offered to do it for £700 but still fail to say if that includes VAT!

Following your link gives £458 (£382 + VAT) for cambelt only and £917 (£765 + vat) for cambelt and waterpump.

View attachment 103799
That’s for the gold plated one!

(Must be a misprint)

I can recommend
4.7 on Google reviews. Fairly near you. 6 miles?
I’ve used them for my Golf and Cali for about ten years. John on the front desk has always been very helpful and I trust them. With a 5 cylinder T5 I’ve never had a cam belt changed though. All cogs.

SMG Croydon once quoted me £1000 to replace the £18 water pump in the wardrobe. Not been back.

My Golf got a cam belt at 6 years and 20k. John probably thought I was mad. It’s now 14 years old and 45k. Maybe next year…if I don’t sell it and get an i3!
On your 5 pot is there a service/replacement interval, miles or time, for a water pump change ?
Of all the vehicles I’ve owned, some exceeded 200,000 miles I’ve not had a water pump failure or leak on any of them.

According to VW Europe, cambelt change is at 210,000 Km with a recommendation at 5 years if this comes sooner.
But they include a physical inspection of the cambelt at each service, if not annually. VWUK do not specify this as part of the service.

Automatic gear box.
Just read some and familiarised myself with the tech aspect of ‘double clutch’ etc of DSG
Was meaning in relation to necessary checks etc at services as it seems some dealerships opt for ‘minimum requirements’ and not mentioning what should be carried out.
BTW our van is a 150 DSG Cali Ocean.

On your 5 pot is there a service/replacement interval, miles or time, for a water pump change ?
Of all the vehicles I’ve owned, some exceeded 200,000 miles I’ve not had a water pump failure or leak on any of them.
To clarify there are 2 water pumps here.
First, the engine one which is good to change when you get get the cam belt done I think as it’s easy to access at the same time.
Second, the water pump for the California fresh water system. The latter is what failed for me after 8 years.
I’m fairly certain I’ve never replaced the former. Presumably if it fails it won’t trash the engine like a belt could. Although I’d be interested to know if I’ve got that wrong!

I tend to feel the T5 engine is pretty great if you plan to keep your California a long time. Cog driven with less maintenance items and my sealed for life Auto. No adblue etc. Mine gets an annual service by Peter Norris and so far mechanically nothing has failed. Just one dpf sensor I replaced myself for about £20. Just done 50k miles though.
Of course the roof has recently leaked. Now fixed. And the roof sensors failed. Now fixed. I’m very fortunate to have only minor bubbling on the roof and have chosen to leave well alone.

Last edited:
A bit of a shock when I contacted dealership as 1) Glasgow , they didn’t mention Cam belt and when I did they said £500 extra for that. 2) Edinburgh did mention Cam belt at 4years but again an additional £500 on top of ‘full service’.
I didn’t realise how expensive it would be … haven’t decided yet whether to use Glasgow or Edinburgh !
Did my cambelt with a good local independent. Saved over £100, all the right paperwork so service history is intact.

So following this thread I enquired into the cost of cam belt / water pump via a recommendation on this site, the supplier is an indi whom is local to me and is VW approved.
here is there response !
either VW have made a mistake or they are taking the rise ?

“Thanks for your enquiry. Good to hear of recommendations!
Cost to replace the cam belt and water pump is £560. Cost to replace the cam belt alone £400. We always recommend replacing the water pump when the cam belt is replaced.
Prices include parts, labour and VAT.”

Amarillo, Pm me if you want the detail of the company, you could have a day out and save a fortune!

Last edited:
When I last paid for cam belt the water pump was around and extra £100 {done at the same time} by VW my understanding as it is easily done while the belt is being done Not use the firm in the below link but this shows have how little the water pump costs if done at the same time.

First, the engine one which is good to change when you get get the cam belt done I think as it’s easy to access at the same time.
Second, the water pump for the California fresh water system. The latter is what failed for me after 8 years.
I’m fairly certain I’ve never replaced the former. Presumably if it fails it won’t trash the engine like a belt could. Although I’d be interested to know if I’ve got that wrong!

I tend to feel the T5 engine is pretty great if you plan to keep your California a long time. Cog driven with less maintenance items and my sealed for life Auto. No adblue etc. Mine gets an annual service by Peter Norris and so far mechanically nothing has failed. Just one dpf sensor I replaced myself for about £20. Just done 50k miles though.
Of course the roof has recently leaked. Now fixed. And the roof sensors failed. Now fixed. I’m very fortunate to have only minor bubbling on the roof and have chosen to leave well alone.
Different engines, different cam drives, belt v chain and different water pumps.

I gather when the water pump fails on the later 140/180 T5.1 engines, it leaks internally rather than externally.

No auto boxes are sealed for life. That is the VAG company line. It is probably a Borg Warner box but Audi stated the same with the ZF auto (sealed for life). ZF actually state that oil change is advised at 80k miles. I don’t know what the manufacturer of you box state but probably the same.
I think the main reason to change the water pump is the cost of labour-it’s the same work as getting to the camshaft belt.

So following this thread I enquired into the cost of cam belt / water pump via a recommendation on this site, the supplier is an indi whom is local to me and is VW approved.
here is there response !
either VW have made a mistake or they are taking the rise ?

“Thanks for your enquiry. Good to hear of recommendations!
Cost to replace the cam belt and water pump is £560. Cost to replace the cam belt alone £400. We always recommend replacing the water pump when the cam belt is replaced.
Prices include parts, labour and VAT.”

Amarillo, Pm me if you want the detail of the company, you could have a day out and save a fortune!
further to my previous post, regarding the cost from an independent VW approved garage, local to me, i asked several other questions:

Hi thank you for your prompt response email to my enquiry

Presumably this is using OE VW Parts and you can update the digital service record & a copy supplied Accordingly, to maintain VW extended warranty?

I presume a VAT invoice will be provided?

response: (same day)

“Yes, we use genuine VW parts. You’ll get an itemised VAT invoice and we’ll update the digital service history. You’ll also get a copy of the service record.
Loan cars are free of charge provided you replace the fuel used and return it in the same condition.”
“Just let me know some dates that work for you and I’ll put you in the diary. Our lead time is generally 2 weeks.”

The VW dealer I use charges £15 for the courtesy car (if available) & have not responded to an email sent at the same time to both companies.
VW dealer lead time is in excess of three weeks, possibly more.
VW dealer does not provide a copy of the Digital service record as a matter of course.

I will post the VW dealers response / cost when they reply.

No auto boxes are sealed for life. That is the VAG company line. It is probably a Borg Warner box but Audi stated the same with the ZF auto (sealed for life). ZF actually state that oil change is advised at 80k miles. I don’t know what the manufacturer of you box state but probably the same.
I think the main reason to change the water pump is the cost of labour-it’s the same work as getting to the camshaft belt.

I have asked this before. Decided that best left alone. I wouldn’t trust VW near anything I own. High chance of them breaking it. In the slim chance it was done correctly, there seems a chance that fresh oil could release gunk that’s best left where it is.

No mention of servicing here.There’s a hilarious quiz at the end. Crazy Germans lol.

This is from Blauparts in the US. Details for the gearbox change and recommended intervals. Might be able get it done at Toyota as they also used them.
If it’s not having issues or making noise, I would be inclined to leave it too.
Had the same with an Audi with the Tiotronic gearbox. Audi said it was sealed for life but there’s a really good company in Glasgow who do the oil change with special equipment which can flush the torque converter. The trouble with ZF one was the material in the torque converter was affected by water which built up over time in the oil.

This is from Blauparts in the US. Details for the gearbox change and recommended intervals. Might be able get it done at Toyota as they also used them.
If it’s not having issues or making noise, I would be inclined to leave it too.
Had the same with an Audi with the Tiotronic gearbox. Audi said it was sealed for life but there’s a really good company in Glasgow who do the oil change with special equipment which can flush the torque converter. The trouble with ZF one was the material in the torque converter was affected by water which built up over time in the oil.
Yes it’s not causing any problems. I like the bit about magnets. I presume this is a similar concept to the thing attached to the bottom of my combi boiler. Collects any metal debris.

1E7F1A83-5F59-4FD6-8C7B-0BEC63F3FB9D.jpeg

4 years is a very short time for a cam belt. Water pump should last longer than 4 years as well. Is the water pump something that you change due to the cost of changing it if it fails. Extra £50 to add in the water pump change.

4 years is a very short time for a cam belt. Water pump should last longer than 4 years as well. Is the water pump something that you change due to the cost of changing it if it fails. Extra £50 to add in the water pump change.
That’s the theory of the water pump change with the cam belt, although from what @Amarillo has shown the cost of the water pump via a dealer is exorbitant Now compared to what it used to be, which negates any benefit of carrying out a water pump change at the same time as the timing belt at 4 / 5 years as suggested by VW.

That’s the theory of the water pump change with the cam belt, although from what @Amarillo has shown the cost of the water pump via a dealer is exorbitant Now compared to what it used to be, which negates any benefit of carrying out a water pump change at the same time as the timing belt at 4 / 5 years as suggested by VW.
Just had confirmation of cost via VW dealer :

“Price for the cambelt & waterpump to be done at the same time as well would be £958 inc VAT”

looks like VW don’t want our business!

i have queried the cost increase from the published costs last year (£360 + Vat for cam belt) & asked for a break down of the two component costs of the £958 quote, but suspect it will be as shown previously in this thread.

if this is indeed the correct price now from VWCV, which I suspect it is, on this basis I will be going to the VW approved independent local to me, clearly VWCV are now over inflating maintenance prices Compared to the open market As well as setting there own time frames for the works to be carried out (contrary to the manufacturer guide lines, the belt manufacturer guidelines and the rest of VW Europe network).

Appears Rip off Britain is still going strong.

Final word from SMG Tonbridge:

National pricing…
Cambelt £630
Cambelt and WP £776.40

=====

Unfortunately, we do not participate in this scheme.

Our national fixed pricing for 2023 quotes the following…

Cambelt Replacement ONLY - £525 + VAT + 20%
Cambelt and Water Pump Replacement - £647 + VAT + 20%

I’ve CC’d in my Service Manager should this not suffice.

=====

Don't rely on the dealership mentioning cambelt and DSG oil changes - mine didn't. Its possible they would have eventually but .....

I thought the DSG oil change interval was based only on mileage.
I agree mine booked in for 6 year service next month and only brake & aircon mentioned by Dealer as required. I did the DSG myself last summer but added Haldex to next month Dealer service myself.

We have been quoted (and agreed to) £599, inc of vat for Cam belt and Water pump from VW commercial dealership.
Snatch their hands off, we paid £750 for same in November at VW main dealership.

I know my cambelt is overdue according to VW(UK) servicing schedule, but I think VW(Europe) recommend a cambelt change every 210,000 km irrespective of time.

This website suggests 210,000km and a recommendation of every 5 years.

Even some VW(UK) websites suggest every 5 years for post 2009 cars.

I am trying to get SMG Tonbridge to price match Lookers Guildford £432 (inc). If they won't I'll go to Guildford.

Tonbridge is a 40m drive, Guildford is 70m.
Tonbridge is a 5m cycle ride and direct train home.
Guildford is a 20m cycle ride and two trains home.

Obviously I'd prefer Tonbridge to price match, but a £300 saving cannot be ignored.
In Germany, cambelt is 210,000km (131k mi), no time Limit. So if you drive 13k mi a year you‘‘ll replace cambelt and water pump after 10 yrs. Same goes for other brands and models, always mileage dependent, not time.
VW UK is taking you guys for a ride. The other scam is the MFD indicated service interval for Oil, as the „sensor“ detects oil contamination before the 30.000km / 2 years interval, requesting change of the LongLife expensive oil they put in because it lasts long….
Infact last time I was at the dealer fot the HU (= MOT) the guy said „
oh.. by the way the mfd shows you should change oil in 3300km“.
Which was strange because I just had 12,000 km since last oil change. „Oh but that may be because of short journeys…“. I was commuting Frankfurt to Munich, 450km each way weekly and holidays in Italy a further 500km, defo not short journeys. I pressed the reset oil interval and magically the „sensor“ doesn‘t detect contaminated oil anymore…
It is blatantly obvious they are taking advantage of you playing on the fact of you being worried of your engine blowing up and performing a cam belt change way too soon.
On the other hand, on the biturbo engines, where the issue of excessive oil consumption beginning at 40k mi leading to an inevitable total engine failure, was tracked down to the excessive heat produced by theses engine that „cooked“ the not adequately cooled oil, where the easy and only viable solution was to change the oil much more often (12k km) , this solution was never passed on to the biturbo owner…

Back