Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Service Interval

A bit of a shock when I contacted dealership as 1) Glasgow , they didn’t mention Cam belt and when I did they said £500 extra for that. 2) Edinburgh did mention Cam belt at 4years but again an additional £500 on top of ‘full service’.
I didn’t realise how expensive it would be … haven’t decided yet whether to use Glasgow or Edinburgh !
Also best to change the water pump at the same time. Best check if they included in the quoted price.

Also best to change the water pump at the same time. Best check if they included in the quoted price.

I’ll mention that when I go back to them. I’m swaying towards Edinburgh at the moment.
Just shocked at the costs !

I’ll mention that when I go back to them. I’m swaying towards Edinburgh at the moment.
Just shocked at the costs !
It is what it is, I'm afraid. An Independent will be cheaper but VW give a 2 Yr warranty on parts and labour. It's £125/Yr in addition to Major/Minor service.

It is what it is, I'm afraid. An Independent will be cheaper but VW give a 2 Yr warranty on parts and labour. It's £125/Yr in addition to Major/Minor service.
Do you mean the additional 2 year warranty we purchased at the time of purchasing the van ?
What difference does this make , don’t quite follow !

Do you mean the additional 2 year warranty we purchased at the time of purchasing the van ?
The £500 cost of cambelt and waterpump works out at £125/Yr over the 4 Yr service interval. Makes it more reasonable. I put £250 a Yr into a savings account to pay for the timed service items over and above the standard Major/Minor services, such as Cambelt, DSG and Haldex oil changes, AirCon, Brake fluid, brake pads, brake discs etc. All these are additional to standard Services.

The £500 cost of cambelt and waterpump works out at £125/Yr over the 4 Yr service interval. Makes it more reasonable. I put £250 a Yr into a savings account to pay for the timed service items over and above the standard Major/Minor services, such as Cambelt, DSG and Haldex oil changes, AirCon, Brake fluid, brake pads, brake discs etc. All these are additional to standard Services.
Makes sense, let’s hope the water pump is included and they don’t say that’s extra !

Well thats ‘BB’ booked in for his 4 year service inc cam belt and water pump and MOT. I opted for Edinburgh so it’s a day trip as they said 4 hrs for cam belt and water pump and 2 hrs for service etc.
They've offered a wee Caddy van courtesy vehicle so we ( me, other half and dog) will just go for a trip while they do the work. Fingers crossed they make a good job of it, it’s costing enough !

After requesting a cambelt quote, I’ve just had this from SMG Tonbridge.

======

I’ve been asked to contact you regarding a quote for a Cambelt Replacement.

Cambelt Replacement - £778.41

These are to be replaced every 4 years or 140,000 miles, whichever is sooner.

Please confirm if you wish to add this to your booking.

======

Amarillo is six years old and 80,000 miles. No cambelt change yet.

Should I add it to this years’ service or wait until Amarillo is closer to 140,000 miles?

They don’t say if £778 is inclusive of VAT or not!!!

Well I’ve decided to follow the advice from WelshGas. Our van has very low mileage but it is 4 years old in April and I don’t want to be stuck with a bill for thousands of the Cam belt goes !

Any OEM work will be warranted from 2 years, irrespective of the van warranty. They may overlap, but the longer will always take precedent.

======

======

Should I add it to this years’ service or wait until Amarillo is closer to 140,000 miles?

Refer them to the below, they are trying to overcharge you:

======

======

Mine was £670, inclusive of water pump and VAT. This was done in December 2021.

Well thats ‘BB’ booked in for his 4 year service inc cam belt and water pump and MOT. I opted for Edinburgh so it’s a day trip as they said 4 hrs for cam belt and water pump and 2 hrs for service etc.
They've offered a wee Caddy van courtesy vehicle so we ( me, other half and dog) will just go for a trip while they do the work. Fingers crossed they make a good job of it, it’s costing enough !
That’s 4 hours from when the engine has cooled enough to work on.

======

======

Its overdue Tom. Our van is serviced by SMG Tonbridge and the cambelt (etc) was changed in April last year for £600 incl. They initially quoted a bit more but I got them to price match a quote from SMG Cowfold.

Its overdue Tom. Our van is serviced by SMG Tonbridge and the cambelt (etc) was changed in April last year for £600 incl. They initially quoted a bit more but I got them to price match a quote from SMG Cowfold.
I know my cambelt is overdue according to VW(UK) servicing schedule, but I think VW(Europe) recommend a cambelt change every 210,000 km irrespective of time.

This website suggests 210,000km and a recommendation of every 5 years.

Even some VW(UK) websites suggest every 5 years for post 2009 cars.

I am trying to get SMG Tonbridge to price match Lookers Guildford £432 (inc). If they won't I'll go to Guildford.

Tonbridge is a 40m drive, Guildford is 70m.
Tonbridge is a 5m cycle ride and direct train home.
Guildford is a 20m cycle ride and two trains home.

Obviously I'd prefer Tonbridge to price match, but a £300 saving cannot be ignored.

I’ve just seen this: cambelt replacement for £432 inc VAT.

I can recommend
4.7 on Google reviews. Fairly near you. 6 miles?
I’ve used them for my Golf and Cali for about ten years. John on the front desk has always been very helpful and I trust them. With a 5 cylinder T5 I’ve never had a cam belt changed though. All cogs.

SMG Croydon once quoted me £1000 to replace the £18 water pump in the wardrobe. Not been back.

My Golf got a cam belt at 6 years and 20k. John probably thought I was mad. It’s now 14 years old and 45k. Maybe next year…if I don’t sell it and get an i3!

Last edited:
Mine was £670, inclusive of water pump and VAT. This was done in December 2021.

Reply from SMG

=====

The price I quoted you is for a Cambelt AND Water Pump replacement, not just the Cambelt. The lowest we can offer for this is £700.57.

Should you wish to replace only the Cambelt, the lowest we can offer for this is £500, but we do strongly advise having both replaced.

=====

======

======

Are they doing it twice ?

Refer them to the below, they are trying to overcharge you:

Their £778 is Cambelt and Water pump. They have now offered to do it for £700 but still fail to say if that includes VAT!

Following your link gives £458 (£382 + VAT) for cambelt only and £917 (£765 + vat) for cambelt and waterpump.

1673026078153.png

Their £778 is Cambelt and Water pump. They have now offered to do it for £700 but still fail to say if that includes VAT!

Following your link gives £458 (£382 + VAT) for cambelt only and £917 (£765 + vat) for cambelt and waterpump.

View attachment 103799
The pump part is about £80 inc Vat on official VW parts sites, so the rest is presumably Labour ?

that can’t be right,
If the water pump if replaced at the same time as the Cam belt work, it requires very little extra work, a minor amount of consumables and re pressurised system.
the majority of the Labour cost for stripping down and changing the cam belt is IMO justified, but how can they claim an additional value for the water pump to be which the same as the cam belt work?

a water pump used to be about an additional £100 when Donne at the same time as the cam belt.

(I’ll see if I can find a vid on line to show what’s involved once it’s all stripped down for the cam belt work, just to highlight the minimal extra work)

Here is a long vid (30 minutes) showing the full timing belt and water pump replacement. (They actually replace oil seal on the crank at the same time )
water pump replacement starts at about 20.15 minutes / seconds into the video

as you can see the water pump is nothing compared to the strip down and works required to do the timing belt.

this website suggests the pump is an additional £90 to change at the same time as the timing belt , which would concur with what I’ve thought.

Could VW have made a mistake in the website ? It seems way too high for water pump combined with a belt

edit, I could see how the cost would be the same as a cam belt if it was a stand alone change over, but not whilst it’s stripped down for a new belt

Last edited:

View attachment 103799
and when I clicked on the info button it says cam belt change 4-5 years. Interesting
What is the DSG service interval, mines 4 years old in March, set 38K by then

and when I clicked on the info button it says cam belt change 4-5 years. Interesting
What is the DSG service interval, mines 4 years old in March, set 38K by then

According to VW Europe, cambelt change is at 210,000 Km with a recommendation at 5 years if this comes sooner.

According to VW Europe, cambelt change is at 210,000 Km with a recommendation at 5 years if this comes sooner.
so sound like 5 years would be fine.

DSG is it 4 year or 40k for the service ?

Back