Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Shut in roof

OConnors

OConnors

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Does anybody know what would happen if somebody tried to close the roof whilst somebody was still in it? This must have happened with kids and teenagers messing about. Obviously fouling the hinges with the bellows doesn’t stop the roof so was wondering what would happen. You would have hoped there was a cut out but I don’t think there is. We have had several roofs folded in half. There are tell tale creases in the sides. By the way are the roofs plastic, GRP or aluminum?

Aluminium hence corrosion problems

Thanks. Is this corrosion in the main large flat panel? I have never experienced that. We did have one van that had some corrosion under the front of the roof in a support type beam. The way they pop back when creased and the small crease left behind plus the sound if tapped really sound plastic. I’ll go check out the corrosion posts. Will probably find ours are about to fall apart if I look in the right place. Thanks

There have been a few posts relating to creases in the aluminium roof, one showing a VW dealer's California being advertised with a serious fold in the roof. So I reckon, given the ease with which the roof creases and the power of the hydraulics any attempt to close the roof with someone in the bed would probably result in a seriously bent and distorted roof, not to mention the bruising.

Does anybody know what would happen if somebody tried to close the roof whilst somebody was still in it? This must have happened with kids and teenagers messing about. Obviously fouling the hinges with the bellows doesn’t stop the roof so was wondering what would happen. You would have hoped there was a cut out but I don’t think there is. We have had several roofs folded in half. There are tell tale creases in the sides. By the way are the roofs plastic, GRP or aluminum?
The ignition needs to be on before the roof can be lowered.

regarding corrosion please consult these topics before starting another :)
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/vw-california-roof-corrosion-key-facts.12287/
https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/discussion-regarding-t6-only-roof-corrosion.16800/

Best if you could put a few photo's on to show the problem then a better assessment could be made hopefully.

What do you mean by " ....we had sevral roofs folded in half" ?
Imo leaving somebody on the bed when closing the roof you need to be very very clueless or very drunk ....or very stipid ....;)
Don't think this will happen to anyone , and due the fact you always get the warning halfway down and the fact you need to visual check the canvas folding in correct.

Leaving smal things upstairs or a pillow , thats a other thing and i belive that many have had this happen but maybe not always tell it here :D

The roof is aluminium with support bars under the inner roof liner to make it rigid , we seen this at the factory visit . But you will end up damaging or the roof or the mecanical system when leaving things up the bed when closing the roof.

Roof corrosion has nothing to do with this , as @Loz said there are lots of other posts on this but it probally will take a few days time to read those .

Imo leaving somebody on the bed when closing the roof you need to be very very clueless or very drunk ....or very stipid ....;)
Don't think this will happen to anyone , and due the fact you always get the warning halfway down and the fact you need to visual check the canvas folding in correct.

Leaving smal things upstairs or a pillow , thats a other thing and i belive that many have had this happen but maybe not always tell it here :D

The roof is aluminium with support bars under the inner roof liner to make it rigid , we seen this at the factory visit . But you will end up damaging or the roof or the mecanical system when leaving things up the bed when closing the roof.

Roof corrosion has nothing to do with this , as @Loz said there are lots of other posts on this but it probally will take a few days time to read those .

We hire them out, we have five, and after a few hires somebody always jams something in the hinges or doesn’t open a door and creases the roof. It pops out but leaves a small crease on the side. Hence several roofs. I agree about stupid or drunk but we hire to all sorts of people. Somebody even lit a disposable barbecue on the floor of a van once. Without doubt somebody will do or probably has done it, shut somebody in the roof. Obviously on purpose I mean!! I would be surprised if there wasn’t a failsafe such as on electric gates give this H&S obsessed culture we live in.

My roof came down whilst in bed, took me and wife ages to wriggle free not a pleasant experience, happened in Provence last september.
Took van to Listers of Longford, Coventry on our return, could not find a fault with any roof raising components, but did have to fill the hydraulic roof pump with fluid.

I can make my two little boys completely disappear in the roof.

With the roof up and the boys at the rear of the upper berth I can push the bed base up and if it weren't for the giggles and screams of mirth you wouldn't know they were there.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

My wife once drive from the back of the campsite in polzeath out and across the road to the beach car park once with our two boys asleep up top. Needless to say they woke up en route. I must try shutting them in as you suggest.

Any chance that you could try it and let me know ?

My roof came down whilst in bed, took me and wife ages to wriggle free not a pleasant experience, happened in Provence last september.
Took van to Listers of Longford, Coventry on our return, could not find a fault with any roof raising components, but did have to fill the hydraulic roof pump with fluid.

That must have been really scary! Do you still sleep up top? Not sure I would trust it.