Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Silly to order our T6 just now?

Kevin&Becci

Kevin&Becci

One year in and loving it.
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150 4Motion
We have finally got our T6 Ocean spec together. Have got a Passat 2.0 tdi that we were going to trade in (yes I know). Are we silly to order now or should we wait until later when the full extent of this emissions issue comes to light? It's a modern day dilemma!

I don't think they will sell them any cheaper. Software can be changed in a very short time, so this will not affect the production dates. Just my opinion, though. I would buy one without hesitation.

I don't think I would let it stop me. The only real downside I can think of is the road tax may change but I doubt it would be significant.

Short of VW closing their doors I wouldn't expect any extra delays.

We have finally got our T6 Ocean spec together. Have got a Passat 2.0 tdi that we were going to trade in (yes I know). Are we silly to order now or should we wait until later when the full extent of this emissions issue comes to light? It's a modern day dilemma!
Depends how much you want one. What is the worst that could happen - you might lose a bit more money when you sell but the chances are by that time this will have all blown over. And the values may even go up because, for example in 2019 there will be few used 3 year old ones because everyone held back in 2016!

Get it ordered and have something to look forward to :)

On the 1st April 2017 the VED increases with a vehicle value component as well as CO2. Vehicles over £40,000 list will get an extra £450 per year for the first 4 years on top of the normal VED so with a ++ 5 months build don't leave it too late.

Buy the petrol version? I am considering a petrol instead now, it comes with 4-motion and dsg (which I am not crazy about).

We all like diesels for low fuel consumption and high torque.
DSG is nice, if you don't drive offroad and in the snow.

What you have to remember is that regardless of the VW outcome (it will be huge) diesel's future for private vehicles has an end in sight and this is the well reported desire of governing bodies. Whether this starts to really bite in one, five or ten years no-one can be sure.

The EU and the UK will ban diesels from city centres and beyond.

There will be punitive taxes on VED and diesel fuel.

Residuals will plummet at some point in the future.

http://www.transportenvironment.org/news/france-moves-against-diesel

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/627c6812-7faf-11e4-adff-00144feabdc0.html#axzz3mjPVjm1p

It's obvious to anyone that the knives are out for diesel and one day it will become as socially unacceptable to own a diesel as it has become to smoke cigarettes in public.

It's obvious to anyone that the knives are out for diesel and one day it will become as socially unacceptable to own a diesel as it has become to smoke cigarettes in public.

WHAT?! You mean diesel isn't a clean fuel because it produces less CO2 than the petrol equivalent?

You mean they've been telling me porkies all along? :rolleyes:

PS. Kevin&Becci - life is too short to worry about what tomorrow will bring. Today has got more than enough worries of it's own.

If your heart is set on a California I'd buy one and get on with your life. It's going to cost you money whenever you buy one.

We've done just that and can't wait for it to arrive. :thumb

Oslo already have restrictions on diesel vehicles.
German cities have limits on what diesel vehicles can go. My 2012 Bmw 520D barely made it last year so I would say a pre Euro6 calofornia wont make it today.

We are facing the same dilemma! Spent ages considering spec and obtaining quotes and last weekend we decided we were going to take the plunge. The on Monday the news hit. We are now going to wait and see what develops. Personally, I think that there will be a huge fall out from this and it will almost certainly affect demand for VW vehicles and diesel engines generally. That surely can only have one outcome for pricing. Even if the list price is not reduced I suspect that VW will increase incentives to buy whether that be by unofficial discounts through the dealer network or finance incentives and dealer contributions. They will be desperate to try to maintain sales across the brand. I take the point on the change to the VED from 2017, but think that could possibly be more than offset by discounting. Its a case of personal choice, but for me I am content to sit it out for a bit and see what happens.

I was just awaiting the final offer as well, but as it seems now, it will be on hold until all this is resolved. In sweden lots of communitites and the state have internal rules about environmental regulations and they all buy lots of VW and I can guarantee they all will pause their orders.
Long term, no big problem for VW, but I would say the dealers is going to have larger problems.

I certainly would not be rushing to buy a T6 right now, I would be waiting on two things

1. The outcome of the VW fiasco
2. Wait and see if the petrol version comes to UK

PS. Kevin&Becci - life is too short to worry about what tomorrow will bring. Today has got more than enough worries of it's own.

If your heart is set on a California I'd buy one and get on with your life. It's going to cost you money whenever you buy one.

We've done just that and can't wait for it to arrive. :thumb

It's your money but seriously anyone thinking of shelling out £50 k + for a brand new VW diesel right now needs their head tested! At least wait a few months to see what happens. In five years your vehicle may be unusable in much of the EU and UK and worth very little.

It's your money but seriously anyone thinking of shelling out £50 k + for a brand new VW diesel right now needs their head tested! At least wait a few months to see what happens. In five years your vehicle may be unusable in much of the EU and UK and worth very little.
My head was fine the last time I checked but thanks for your concern.

Are you seriously suggesting a vehicle with an EU6 compliant engine will be unusable in 5 years?

No-one knows, what is the harm in waiting? One thing is for sure prices of diesel VW's certainly will not rise in the coming months....

Glad your head is apparently OK.

My position was always to wait and be patient as their was to much uncertainty for me with the T6. My position obviously hasn't changed with this fiasco.

I think a lot of people will be cancelling their T6 orders over the next few days, I certainly would! There is way too much uncertainty at the moment and I feel this is going to open up a brand new can of worms. Many people buy a Cali as a Keeper for many years and you could end up with too many restrictions.

Only other option is to import a petrol Cali from Germany or just pray they bring a petrol one to the UK.

Life is too short to wait that long.
I am about to part with very nearly a shed full of cash for a new T5 and have also had this conversation with my wife. Are we doing the right thing? Well the answer is, who knows! But...........
There will be a big investigation. Lots of mud will be slung about and some will stick to the other manufacturers. The lawyers will make a fortune. VW will take a big hit, be on the naughty step for a while but will come back determined to win back confidence in their brand. Customers both existing and potential will be wooed. There will be lots of very loud shouting about the need to get rid of the nasty diesel engine. We will all end up paying even more in direct and indirect taxation to use diesels. The Chancellor will rub his hands with glee. New emissions tests will be brought in. Diesels will be made cleaner and life will go on.

The prospect of a Cali is just as attractive as it was last week. I suspect residual values wont be affected much, if at all since Calis are about a lifestyle change which will always appeal and be in demand. Also, as someone has already said, if loads of people cancel orders then the residuals may improve due to shortage of second hand examples down the line. If you really want one then now could be a good time to order as the waiting list may just have become a bit shorter. If I am wrong and VW goes bust and diesel drys up then you've got yourself a brilliant little summer house or chicken coup.

Collect ours next thursday, can't wait.

A much more important question at the moment is what colour cushions to go for?

Last edited:
Re petrol Calis, what mpg would they do? :Nailbiting

Why cancel, if you want a Cali get one, this is all about Nox emissions not Co2, diesel will not disappear in the next few years, it's more popular now than ever and it's currently cheaper than petrol. I personally doubt a uk petrol cali version.

I'm considering a T6 Beach and had already decided to wait until I can see one in the flesh (demonstrators due in the UK early Nov).

All this has made me wonder whether to wait even longer...but the question to those who say wait is simple - how long?

We all know diesels are no longer in favour, and that some cities are placing/planning restrictions on them. Here in Bristol there has been talk of this...but as someone else said we might not know how that will play out for what 1, 5 or 10 years? So if I don't buy now should I wait say 5 years to see whether I'll still be able to use it across Europe? My kids will have grown up by then and the opportunity passed.

Also, this whole diesel question isn't limited to VW. If I don't get a Beach should I get a Volvo XC60, or an X3, or a Disco Sport? None of these have petrol versions either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back