Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Silly to order our T6 just now?

Yeah not sure we can wait too long but was hoping it may imp the the propensity to give a better discount

I'm considering a T6 Beach and had already decided to wait until I can see one in the flesh (demonstrators due in the UK early Nov).

All this has made me wonder whether to wait even longer...but the question to those who say wait is simple - how long?

We all know diesels are no longer in favour, and that some cities are placing/planning restrictions on them. Here in Bristol there has been talk of this...but as someone else said we might not know how that will play out for what 1, 5 or 10 years? So if I don't buy now should I wait say 5 years to see whether I'll still be able to use it across Europe? My kids will have grown up by then and the opportunity passed.

Also, this whole diesel question isn't limited to VW. If I don't get a Beach should I get a Volvo XC60, or an X3, or a Disco Sport? None of these have petrol versions either...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Order one life is too short, had mine 9yrs and done 125k miles in uk and europe.

John

Why not buy one to use whilst you make your mind up?:D
Looks like the rules arn't going to change for 5 years or so thats a long time if youve got growing children.

I bought a mini diesel for driving round london as it was congestion charge free due its really low emisions a couple of years ago, overnight the emissions are now so bad that its now a filthy diesel & needs banning from London completely.

I suppose we should all drive toyota Pius' low emissions at point of use but horrendous emissions at manufacturing stage & disposal at end of life. The sooner we concentrate on the whole life cycle emissions of a vehicle the better.

Such alarmist comments. Diesel engines will be around for many years to come. There is just no viable alternative at present. Ok, there may be some exclusion zones, but then who wants to drive into many city centres anyway.
In time there will be alternatives but not in the foreseeable future.
Diesels account for a small percentage in the American car market but not so in Europe and elsewhere and there are very few enviromentally friendly and economical petrol engines that can substitute for a diesel with its relative simplicity and power output.
My personal view. You may agree or disagree that is your prerogative.

I'm considering a T6 Beach and had already decided to wait until I can see one in the flesh (demonstrators due in the UK early Nov).

All this has made me wonder whether to wait even longer...but the question to those who say wait is simple - how long?

We all know diesels are no longer in favour, and that some cities are placing/planning restrictions on them. Here in Bristol there has been talk of this...but as someone else said we might not know how that will play out for what 1, 5 or 10 years? So if I don't buy now should I wait say 5 years to see whether I'll still be able to use it across Europe? My kids will have grown up by then and the opportunity passed.

Also, this whole diesel question isn't limited to VW. If I don't get a Beach should I get a Volvo XC60, or an X3, or a Disco Sport? None of these have petrol versions either...

Hi Steve, Also in Bristol. Down by the Harbourside SS Great Britain Side. If you fancy a coffee let me know. Can't message you as your not VIP member. Worth doing as you get access to all sorts of useful info and discounts for when you eventually get your Beach. Mike

In answer to your question I would hold off on any for the moment unless the need is pressing. In a month or so things should be clearer and should you still wish to go ahead you will be able to get your hands on one in the showrooms.

Mike, I work just over the river next to @Bristol so may well take you up on that offer. And yes must sign up as a VIP.

Personally I'm going to wait a month or so but that's more because I want to see the T6 before I buy. Don't think diesel worries will stop me, all the other cars on my short list are diesels and IF Bristol ban/charge for diesels I'll just use the Park and Ride

Kevin&Becci - I was trying to draw out that waiting a month or two to see the new T6 and get a feel for impact on VW seems prudent. To factor in/worry about the future of diesel seems a little premature. I hope the T6 lives up to my expectations in which case I'll go for it, and I hope you do to.

:)Off on holiday to Porto this weekend . So will wait until return to order our T6 Ocean

If they can program the ECU to reduce Co2 and Nox when instructed by the main onboard computer, to enter "cheat test mode", they can reduce the Co2 and Nox for normal driving. IMO the most likely outcome will be reduced performance and MPG to comply with regulations during normal driving conditions. 0-60 in 25 seconds ??? I hope VW have deep pockets for the US fines and litigation, suspect Michael Horn will live to regret his "we totally screwed up" statement as much as BP's Tony Haywards statement about "wanting his life back". I think it will cost VW ++$30 bn in the US alone and Germany's Federal and Lower Saxony Governments will loose megabucks on tax revenues.

Life is too short to wait that long.
I am about to part with very nearly a shed full of cash for a new T5 and have also had this conversation with my wife. Are we doing the right thing? Well the answer is, who knows! But...........
There will be a big investigation. Lots of mud will be slung about and some will stick to the other manufacturers. The lawyers will make a fortune. VW will take a big hit, be on the naughty step for a while but will come back determined to win back confidence in their brand. Customers both existing and potential will be wooed. There will be lots of very loud shouting about the need to get rid of the nasty diesel engine. We will all end up paying even more in direct and indirect taxation to use diesels. The Chancellor will rub his hands with glee. New emissions tests will be brought in. Diesels will be made cleaner and life will go on.

The prospect of a Cali is just as attractive as it was last week. I suspect residual values wont be effected much, if at all since Calis are about a lifestyle change which will always appeal and be in demand. Also, as someone has already said, if loads of people cancel orders then the residuals may improve due to shortage of second hand examples down the line. If you really want one then now could be a good time to order as the waiting list may just have become a bit shorter. If I am wrong and VW goes bust and diesel drys up then you've got yourself a brilliant little summer house or chicken coup.

Collect ours next thursday, can't wait.

A much more important question at the moment is what colour cushions to go for?
Such alarmist comments. Diesel engines will be around for many years to come. There is just no viable alternative at present. Ok, there may be some exclusion zones, but then who wants to drive into many city centres anyway.
Diesels account for a small percentage in the American car market but not so in Europe and elsewhere and there are very few enviromentally friendly and economical petrol engines that can substitute for a diesel with its relative simplicity and power output.

Disagree is fine, but explanation is even better.;)

I agree.
I have just seen a program on the gogglebox about how the world is totally reliant on the diesel engine. There is nothing available at present that remotely comes close to being a practical and realistic replacement to power shipping, transport, haulage, military, and many many other applications. It is here to stay, at least for the foreseeable future, and the only logical way forward, is to continue to make diesel emissions cleaner. That also includes the motor car. This whole sorry VW mess may actually have done us all a big favour if it serves to spur on these improvements.
If we were all to switch to petrol power what would that do for global warming?

A few years back I was looking for a replacement for my XC70 estate. The offers from VW, had on paper, impressive mpg, and slightly lower emissions. At the time I thought VAG had stolen a march on the competition. I looked at the Golf 1.6d estate, remembered my painful Audi days, so bought a D2 V70.

Wrong location! Should have been under the "emissions"

Last edited:
I suppose we should all drive toyota Pius' low emissions at point of use but horrendous emissions at manufacturing stage & disposal at end of life. The sooner we concentrate on the whole life cycle emissions of a vehicle the better.
Tesla California :thumb

Mmmm. Quite fancy a Tesla X. Amazing machines...

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I would encourage all you cautious cali hesitants to hold your orders - low T6 numbers in the UK will ensure amazing residuals - fortune favours the brave.

We were going to change to a T6 but I think diesels will be in the news for all the wrong reasons over the next few years. We spoke to VW HQ today about the petrol version and was told it could come to the UK if demand is high enough for it. I would even consider a LHD petrol Cali as 90% of our holidays are on the continent.

I would encourage all you cautious cali hesitants to hold your orders - low T6 numbers in the UK will ensure amazing residuals - fortune favours the brave.
Sshhh. That was a secret... Don't go tell everyone. ;)

There is plenty of hysteria about the fall out from all this. There was a question this morning about how it would impact 16 year old vans like mine.
I think it is certainly the case that 'where a petrol alternative exists' there will be a change in demand and a resulting change in residuals. I'm looking to swap my battered old skoda for a vw tiguan and found myself today looking at petrol versions I'd previously scrolled past.
Currently there is no petrol alternative to the Cali, but if you think one will arrive, then there could be a case to wait, or buy an older diesel example.
(I speak as someone who could only contemplate putting ÂŁ50k+ into a leisure vehicle IF I knew it would continue to have amazing residuals. If you can accept 'normal' depreciation rates of a luxury car, then there is little to worry about).

And maybe we won't have to wait for so long?!

I'm afraid For me the level of uncertainty is too great. I would like to own one now but I do not have to. Patience I believe is the best option but I appreciate that everyone circumstances are different. I think though that the head should rule and not the heart. Difficult with a Cali because it is a lifestyle purchase. Good luck to all with their decisions.

I would have been interested in the 204PS TSI petrol engine but having taken a look at the german web site and MPG comparison its just too much of a hammering to be practical unless you plan very low mileage. Given the quoted figures are never met then it will be a very juicy machine. Also the lifespan of diesel engines v petrol is another factor which I think outweighs future potential marginal tax increase. You may also need a small tanker in tow ;).

On the ordering side Im not so sure that we will see low volumes of T6 orders. If my experience is anything to go by I just had to cancel my order with one dealer this morning and place with another as they had sold their allocation by multiples and I would have had to wait until January for the order to be accepted. This would likely have meant mid summer delivery.

All personal opinions but a VW California still has to be a very very safe bet even with the current news.

"New vehicles from the Volkswagen Group with EU 6 diesel engines currently available in the European Union comply with legal requirements and environmental standards." - They would be in a very bad position selling vans to customers that haven't been built yet that are not up to standards. You would probably be entitled to full refunds.

"Value of 2nd Hand VW Diesel Cars down 0.2% recently" - That's not a lot considering the amount of news/concerns. If California's were to come down in value people would snap them up forcing the price back up. The same is so for most of their vehicles.

A brave or foolish thought?... Buy a T6 and invest in VW shares at the same time. One will go down for certain, the other will almost certainly go up. VW shares were 170 then 100 now 130... I don't see the automotive industry collapsing anytime soon.

Emmision scandal part 2 is out soon....
Just heard more bad news , new 2016 engines could be manipulated.
O boy , VW been naughty!

Emmision scandal part 2 is out soon....
Just heard more bad news , new 2016 engines could be manipulated.
O boy , VW been naughty!
Drip feeding the bad news will only make it worse, they need and are probably trying to get it all out there now. Well one would hope so!

Back