Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Sleeping bags or duvet?

Duvet. We always sleep up top so the bottom sheet is always there on the mattress ready to just chuck the duvet over. Two cushions that live on the bench seat in daytime are popped into pillowcases for the night. So 'making the bed up' takes less than about a minute in total.

Duvet stored in a squidge-able waterproof stuff sack (the kind with the roll-up top to expel the air as you squash it down with your knee). Unless duvet happens to get slightly damp at the edges overnight by contact with wet pop-top fabric, in which case left out draped over the back of the bench seat through the next day's drive (only ever needed to do that once actually, now I think of it).

Some people use clever 12v vacuum pumps to compress bags for bedding and clothes, but I can't be bothered with all that.

Used to use double duvet upstairs but last year went for two single duvets, one each. There’s less squabbling as a result, both when it’s very cold and when it’s very hot. We can regulate our own temperatures. Also two single duvets can be tucked away more easily than one double duvet we’ve found.

Used to use double duvet upstairs but last year went for two single duvets, one each. There’s less squabbling as a result, both when it’s very cold and when it’s very hot. We can regulate our own temperatures. Also two single duvets can be tucked away more easily than one double duvet we’ve found.

I get to negotiate about duvet real estate with Mrs VD, and the dog. Never won so far.

We use Duvalays, and are very happy with them. I think we have the 50mm mattress and 4.5tog and 9tog combinations. Have kept us warm and comfortable from -10 to +30C. Of note though when they are packed up and rolled in their bags they are quite large, and when they are set up at 15tog, it’s quite the wrestling match getting them packed away. However we feel a small price to pay for the comfort they provide. Another note, we only ever use the upstairs bed. I don’t think they would fit side by side downstairs.

Very interesting to read all the different responses. We bought a Vango ‘Aurora 10 tog 3 season’ double sleeping bag from Go Outdoors. We love it in hot & cold conditions. Zips all round, so feels like a duvet if unzipped down sides but lovely & snuggly in colder conditions. In hot conditions it acts as a topper - sleep on top under a sheet. Probably about the same bulk as a double duvet but love the zipped in feeling when it is cold. We always sleep downstairs as boys are up top in very decent quality single sleeping bags.
We have just purchased our first camper and looking forward to trips away. Can anyone recommend whether we should go with sleeping bags or duvets? Also, are there any recommendations for purchases that we should have on our wish list for the future? (We are a bit broke for now!)

Walking bags anyone?? ;-)

Personally I have a 2 person sleeping bag, in summer above, mid season in, in winter under. When alone a wrap.
Combined with a plastic sheet it makes a big soft blanket in the field.

We’ve always used sleep bags, but large ones that can zip together, occasionally my wife sleeps “up top” (so to speak!) for a better nights sleep, we very rarely take the sleeping bags out of our California. If you use a duvet you have the faff of putting a sheet on the seats
If you have a mattress you can just leave fitted sheets on the mattress, folded on rear shelf.

We have just purchased our first camper and looking forward to trips away. Can anyone recommend whether we should go with sleeping bags or duvets? Also, are there any recommendations for purchases that we should have on our wish list for the future? (We are a bit broke for now!)
Hi Alysa, we use the king size duvet and pillows off our bed or off one of the spare room beds if I am going away on my own. We also have a light weight sleeping bag which I open up as a duvet if we are sleeping separatley upstairs and down when its hot.

I get to negotiate about duvet real estate with Mrs VD, and the dog. Never won so far.
If it gets to that stage I just bugger off upstairs and sulk. Sorry top bed no stairs in the Cali.

Duvets for the summer
Sleeping bags for the winter

If I'm alone, sleeping bag every time. 4-season in the winter 2-season in the summer.

Back