Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Slidepod for the VW California Beach

Not to mention finding someone willing to put it through its paces.... now where would I even begin to look for a tester??? :rolleyes:
Unfortunately I'm not from the UK :( Could arrange a trip to pick up a bought pod easily but not repeatedly.. Or I could try a trip where we rent it for a day or 2-3, then bring it back with feedback.
Do you have a 3 seater beach to test it out and measure?

I do.

We can ship to Europe. .... might even be looking for continental distributors at some point.....

I just had an idea. I'll try to make a drawing later but right now I'll try to explain in words.
Small pot with just a sink sits behind the driver seat (EU)/passenger seat (UK). The size is maybe just 40cm x 30cm and height comparable to cali table height.

Then we make a "hanging" single or dual fire pit next to it against the side wall, comparable to the one in the SE, attached on the back side to the table mounting rail and to the right side to the pod with the sink. It think it should be possible to attach it well enough so that it's safe and solid.
The advantage of not touching the bottom is that you can still make up the bed (it slides underneath).

Also, as 3 seater beach owners know, when you make up the bed, there is quite some extra undeep trunk space being added as soon as you move the bench forward, before folding it down. We could store the cooker part of the pod there (if it's easy to detach) when making up the bed.

Alternatively (and perhaps better), if the cooker part was also 40x30cm (total pod size 80 wide, 30cm deep), then we could try to find a way where the left part can rotated 180degrees with hinges between the two parts (near the top), so it can be stored on top of the sink pod part. If the depth of the burners where say 20cm, it would make the complete pod 40(width) x 30(depth) x 95(height). You could no longer access the tap while sleeping, unless you fold it down (and temporarily loose 30cm of bed width, which is probably okay, you're brushing teeth or drinking a glass).

This would be a very innovative pod, The advantage of the Maxxcamp compact (minimal space loss), but without the need to turn it around at night, with an added benefit of more storage space at night (where you also may want to put porta potti in the limited space you have in bed mode).
Yes, for comparable size there would be a little bit less storage space. Perhaps increase the dimensions a bit to make up for that.

What do you think?

I just had an idea. I'll try to make a drawing later but right now I'll try to explain in words.
Small pot with just a sink sits behind the driver seat (EU)/passenger seat (UK). The size is maybe just 40cm x 30cm and height comparable to cali table height.

Then we make a "hanging" single or dual fire pit next to it against the side wall, comparable to the one in the SE, attached on the back side to the table mounting rail and to the right side to the pod with the sink. It think it should be possible to attach it well enough so that it's safe and solid.
The advantage of not touching the bottom is that you can still make up the bed (it slides underneath).

Also, as 3 seater beach owners know, when you make up the bed, there is quite some extra undeep trunk space being added as soon as you move the bench forward, before folding it down. We could store the cooker part of the pod there (if it's easy to detach) when making up the bed.

Alternatively (and perhaps better), if the cooker part was also 40x30cm (total pod size 80 wide, 30cm deep), then we could try to find a way where the left part can rotated 180degrees with hinges between the two parts (near the top), so it can be stored on top of the sink pod part. If the depth of the burners where say 20cm, it would make the complete pod 40(width) x 30(depth) x 95(height). You could no longer access the tap while sleeping, unless you fold it down (and temporarily loose 30cm of bed width, which is probably okay, you're brushing teeth or drinking a glass).

This would be a very innovative pod, The advantage of the Maxxcamp compact (minimal space loss), but without the need to turn it around at night, with an added benefit of more storage space at night (where you also may want to put porta potti in the limited space you have in bed mode).
Yes, for comparable size there would be a little bit less storage space. Perhaps increase the dimensions a bit to make up for that.

What do you think?

All good ideas. I do however have the spec of the compact pod pretty much sorted and if it works it will be extremely innovative and very practical. I'm afraid I'm not going to divulge any details in a public forum before we have a working prototype. However if all goes well it should be suitably innovative and of sufficient quality to be called a Slidepod .... even if it doesn't "slide"

All good ideas. I do however have the spec of the compact pod pretty much sorted and if it works it will be extremely innovative and very practical. I'm afraid I'm not going to divulge any details in a public forum before we have a working prototype. However if all goes well it should be suitably innovative and of sufficient quality to be called a Slidepod .... even if it doesn't "slide"
got to be an inslidepod then - if you let me demo it for you wont charge for the name - win win

Sliding door or even sliding drawer to justify the name perhaps? Sounds interesting, prototype in time for a big reveal at the Gloucester meet? Assuming your going that is.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tim I absolutely love it! The "inslidepod" why didn't I think of that??
To be honest it will probably be at least April/May before I have a working prototype. Due to Febuary being such a short month and us being so busy and moving workshops in March.
I am hoping to have X2 demo versions of each pod made by end of march as well these will be rented out for £20 per night for the first 3 nights and then £15 for each night after that, obviously we will wave the rental charges for anyone who goes on to purchase a Slidepod :thumb. There is no obligation to buy though and these can just be booked to use during a summer holiday etc.
It might be worth booking early though as I imagine during the school hols they might be booked up early.

Tim I absolutely love it! The "inslidepod" why didn't I think of that??
To be honest it will probably be at least April/May before I have a working prototype. Due to Febuary being such a short month and us being so busy and moving workshops in March.
I am hoping to have X2 demo versions of each pod made by end of march as well these will be rented out for £20 per night for the first 3 nights and then £15 for each night after that, obviously we will wave the rental charges for anyone who goes on to purchase a Slidepod :thumb. There is no obligation to buy though and these can just be booked to use during a summer holiday etc.
It might be worth booking early though as I imagine during the school hols they might be booked up early.
Roll on March. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Jonny,
I'm going to the Eskdale camping weekend in April. If you had a demo ready by then I would be happy to pay for it for the weekend and let forum and other VW users take a look then.

Jonny,
I'm going to the Eskdale camping weekend in April. If you had a demo ready by then I would be happy to pay for it for the weekend and let forum and other VW users take a look then.

Jonny, this one http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/events/eskdale-meet.4/

We are tagging on to an existing meet. Quite a few Cali's expected from the rsvps but will be other non-forum users there....although I don't know the T1/2/25/4/5 split.

Probably a bit far for me with us being so busy at the moment. I will happilly lend you a pod though Dave to take with you to show off. :thumb

Thanks for that. It would be great to try before you buy and show some vw users your products in action. It's hard to really appreciate quality kit without seeing it.

We're going to Lake District/Wasdale in Spring if you have a prototype ready for hire :) I'm very excited for this product, can't wait. :)

We've just had some colour samples through from Jonny for a Slidepod Ultra for our T6 beach.

There's me thinking a bike transport solution was a difficult decision! :rolleyes:

There are so many colours and combinations to choose from.

We've just had some colour samples through from Jonny for a Slidepod Ultra for our T6 beach.

There's me thinking a bike transport solution was a difficult decision! :rolleyes:

There are so many colours and combinations to choose from.

Got any particular favourites?

Got any particular favourites?
I like quite a few of them. Some of the colours are very bold. As the van is going to be white any colour would probably work.

I do like the look of the gloss white pod on your website. I'm wondering whether that might be a bit boring though.

We've got a "family meeting" tonight to discuss. Maybe let the kids decide. :)

Persolally i love the tennisball yellow. Just imagine it with white trim white tambour door and white shower... not for the feint hearted but super fresh and bold choices never look dated

I spent Sunday at Campermart, and spent quite some time with Jonny and Jane of Slidepods on their stand. After a recent forum post about a van for demo purpose at a show I was already going to, I felt it was a good opportunity to have a proper look.

I have always been open that a pod in the living area was my preference because of the way I travel but having a play with the Slidepods has opened my eyes to it's strengths. I think we all buy the Beach with slightly different requirements and this is certainly another arrow in the quiver of an already versatile van.

Over the day I found myself myself growing more impressed with the slidepod, the build quality is lovely and its genuinely as easy to fit as Jonny says. It also surprised me how light it was and how quick you could stand it up in an awning. I even got brave enough to demo it to other folks, when Jonny and Jane were busy with enquiries (incredibly busy show).

I definitely think if Jonny makes some rental pods available in the future, its well worth having a go with one even (or especially) if you aren't yet convinced, I certainly will be giving it a go with an open mind.

Thanks so much Matt for your kind words and all the help and support you and Vanessa gave us during the whole weekend we truly couldn't have done it without you. We had absolutely no idea we would all be so rushed off our feet but we had a great day and really enjoyed your company.

I will keep everyone posted about the demo pods and when they are ready.

looking like the first demo pod will be ready in the next few weeks

Hi There, will you be at any of the forthcoming meets?

Back