Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Staycations - this makes sorry reading

Sounds like you have a nice spot suited to you. Enjoy :D

RE lock-down the car parks weren't even open to local people around here i.e. they were shut to everybody ...

Last edited:
Sounds like you have a nice spot suited to you. Enjoy :D

RE lock-down the car parks weren't even open to local people around here i.e. they were shut to everybody ...
It’s a good spot. The view could be improved.
More whining from people who know the solution but choose to do nothing about it.

They complain because their councils shut or have inadequate support facilities.

Toilet blocks the same for the past 30 years with little or no investment or closed after 7pm...???
Local road infrastructure not been invested in.
Not enough bins around car parks, beaches and beauty spots. Those that are there, are usually too small.

Councils need to do much more, instead of squeezing the tourist lemon, like repurpose car parks which could produce revenue for overnight stays in limited numbers.

Campsites are full on the weekends at the minute. The only other solution is to wildpark.

However, I sympathise with locals, who have to put up with inconsiderate people who don’t take care of the places they enjoy and visit.

When we park somewhere, we leave it as we found it. You wouldn’t even know we had stayed there...
very well put 'soulstyledevon'

Think it was this thread I read that the Lake district had been overwhelmed with tourists.. The BBC news has just done a report from the area, camp sites half full, tourist numbers down and but the lakeside hotel they went to was full until September, the pictures (Ambelside) didn't show that many folk about, who do you believe ?

On another issue I was under the impression that the camp sites had to operate on reduced numbers, we have just returned from a few days in Yorkshire, very nice site, full to the brim every night, nothing other than common sense using the facilities, notice's and sanitizer on the doors and regular cleaning took place, only thing I had to queue for was pot washing.

Really busy down here, last night I was on my from Bodmin back to Fowey and saw a 2 van conversions in farm field gateways.

Padstow was rammed as is Fowey with their narrow streets.

And the other side of the coin...

Sleningford Watermill
Sun, 16 Aug, 17:44 (17 hours ago)
to
Dear guest,

We hope you enjoyed your recent visit at Sleningford Watermill. Normally we send out our follow-up email to guests promptly after their visit, but the last few months have been a whirlwind of admin and we are only just starting to catch up with ourselves. So, some of you reading this will have stayed longer ago than others! If you have opted not to receive marketing communication from us, please be assured that this is just a (slightly later than usual!) follow-up email, and after this you will receive no further communication from us, unless of course you book to stay with us again in the future, which we hope you do!

Firstly we just want to a say massive thank you to everyone who has stayed with us so far for helping us keep our guests and staff safe by following the COVID-19 procedures/restrictions that we put in place on the site – we appreciate that some measures have not been entirely convenient! It has been far from a straightforward year for us in terms of planning, but everyone has been on board with the restrictions on the site and so it has all run we well as we had hoped it would! Seeing everyone able to enjoy themselves here has also made all the hard work getting the site ready totally worthwhile. We know it has been a difficult year for people across the country and we feel very privileged to work in a sector where we have been able to provide people with a welcome break during this time.

It’s the Daily Mail stoking things up as usual. The comments section is like spending time in a Victorian asylum. It’s a hate inciting divisive rag that appeals to humans’ less commendable instincts.

If a council in a beauty spot has problems with people crapping all over the place then it’s not rocket science to make sure there are adequate public conveniences. Increased tourist revenue would surely cover temporary solutions. People should be holding their councils to account. Business rates should be based in part on turnover - if turnover is down, business gets a discount. If its booming, business pays a little more. This encourages a more symbiotic partnership between business and council.

I visited Avon Beach Nr. Christchurch a few weeks back and in the car park was a solitary overflowing ‘single’ wheelie bin surrounded by rubbish on all sides. Visitors had clearly made the effort to deposit their waste at the bin but it was full. The refuse was collected in the a.m. but by the time we left, it was full and surrounded by rubbish once more. It was a completely unnecessary scenario that could have been resolved with an extra bin and I’m sure the local residents are paying extra council tax based on it being a nice location. It’s inexcusable.

I’m off to the south coast of Cornwall next week - I’m going in the van but Mrs S2bear rented us a cottage. I’ll be supporting local businesses as always and Pearce’s Butchers in St Austell will definitely be benefitting from about 3 years worth of pent-up pasty craving. (They’re amazing and my CFX28 will be bursting at the seams)

All this chat does make me wonder if I will encounter any hostility due to simply being in a Van. I’ve spent many happy times in Cornwall & Devon since childhood and it would be a great shame if this were to be the case. Nice one Daily Mail.

I too am off Soon, Devon, I will be staying in a Static caravan, the decision was made in lock down , and this was deemed the most likely scenario, at the time, to allow my family to have a safe Holiday this year.
I have a least one U.K. Holiday per year, and choose to actively support UK tourism.
I choose to pass, the great things the U.K. has to offer, onto my kids and show them the diverse places we are lucky enough to have within this very small island I choose to live on, I do this with the hope my children will do the same with theirs in time (As my parents did with their fam)
I have been to south West on numerous occasions, over many years, both as a child, adolescent, adult and now with my own family.
Whilst I’m in the Tourist places, that actively encourage U.K. tourism, I spend my hard earned with local business, where ever possible, I am of a mind to support independent business over Big brands as I believe in the use it or loose it mentality!

I will be in my Van, as usual and has been in the past, (not always a Cali), I will be interested to see if local reaction has changed whilst we are out and about?
I suspect business will want to relive me of as much of my money as I care to spend, no change there, however those with no vested interest in my presence may take a different view? Time will out.

I find it Sad that so many communities cry out for tourism year after year, particularly to try and tempt people to take Staycations over foreign holidays, the U.K. Tourism boards run campaigns to try and attract people to their specific area and encourage Staycations over other areas / countries!

IMO The tourist areas are the first to complain, that they are the poor cousin to many parts of the UK, Cornwall in particular, flood hit areas across the country, Scotland, the lakes and many many other tourist areas.
Many areas feel they are the neglected poor cousin at times, when it suits, however, when the situation could be used to their massive advantage, not Just the SW, these communities seem to want to turn away the very life support of their community, Tourists which is counter intuitive?
I like, Grumpy Pants, @GrumpyGranddad ;) Live in the Chilterns, it is an AOANB, there is no Emmit bashing mentality, business welcomes business, whom ever it comes from, car parks are easy to use and in the most part are easily accessible for my Cali.
Visitors are actively encouraged and made to feel welcome, however I truly believe, there is a them and us NIMBism mentality rising to the surface across the UK, it has always been there to some degree, as is human nature, but I feel this nature is heightened in times of anxiety.

When will we in the U.K. learn to NOT to look a gift horse in the mouth and turn away home trade when it comes knocking, yes with that trade brings challenges and it’s fair share of idiocy from a minority that has not been brought up to respect the rules !
I can see why so many people solely travel aboard to places and shun the U.K. in favour of better weather, better facilities, such as the French Aire system, at cheaper prices and where they may feel more welcome and accommodated, despite the tourist having no vested long term interest in the place they travel too ( like your own country for example)

Anyway, enough of my Ranting, the surf boards are on the roof bars, the bikes are on the back, the fridge is chillin and I’m looking forward to being welcomed back once again to some special places , very dear to my heart t, where my Family and I can support a local tourist community in their time of need, one i have had the pleasure in supporting my whole life, and in turn be welcomed for my ongoing support, I hope.

Last edited: