Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Staycations - this makes sorry reading

If that’s true (Daily Mail)
That’s a typical British response, let’s look at a particular issue where a minority issues arises and come up with draconian measures enforced with out dated laws , rather than look at wider solution to resolve the issue for everyone?

Why can the U.K. not look pragmatically at problems and solution to lesuire time, which has increased steadily since 1950s.

There is a serious need for wider availability to facilities, accessible to all through the whole of the U.K. , to allow free unfettered access to all parts of the U.K. for anyone inclined to go and find it ( like other countries do)
In particular France, where the local community provide Aires to welcome and the additional benefit tourism brings, be it staycation or foreign are welcomed by the community (in general) and if not welcomed, certainly accepted.
Where do these “locals” go when they leave their house or go on a Holiday, be it U.K. or abroad?
Maybe the roads these locals use would be better off being paid for by the local community, who want to restrict their use!

The U.K. infrastructure is and has been paid for by all U.K. tax payers, past, present and future , therefore should be usable by all.

The issue is the lack of parking and proper overnight camping / facilities in select areas, which are by the very nature “tourist areas” particularly during summer months.
If toilets were provided in general people would use them, no available toilet facilities doesn’t mean your colon shuts up shop !

That “problem” is not the making of the people accessing these tourist areas, it’s the lack of facilities for the obvious demand that exists.

People’s memories are short, I can remember when the recent floods hit tourist areas, the locals were wanting tourist to return and spend,spend spend, how do they expect people to come to these areas but not stop over ?

So instead of accepting that people want to visit beautiful areas, let’s make it difficult to visit, unless your staying in a hotel or other fixed location, while we’re at it lets make it illegal to stay anywhere other than places which simply do not exist?

, NIMBYism does not help progress, it merely creates divisions and friction between various factions.

Let’s have a sensible debate ?

Well said, Perfectos!
However, certain locations are “honeypots” and attract a disproportionate number of people. For example (in a normal year), the roads of the NC500 are rammed, but equally lovely roads close by are almost empty.
With loads of people suddenly deciding to use their tent/camper/caravan or hire one, it’s no surprise the popular places are overloaded.
Hopefully it will be more normal next year...

They complain because their councils shut or have inadequate support facilities.

Toilet blocks the same for the past 30 years with little or no investment or closed after 7pm...???
Local road infrastructure not been invested in.
Not enough bins around car parks, beaches and beauty spots. Those that are there, are usually too small.

Councils need to do much more, instead of squeezing the tourist lemon, like repurpose car parks which could produce revenue for overnight stays in limited numbers.

Campsites are full on the weekends at the minute. The only other solution is to wildpark.

However, I sympathise with locals, who have to put up with inconsiderate people who don’t take care of the places they enjoy and visit.

When we park somewhere, we leave it as we found it. You wouldn’t even know we had stayed there...

They complain because their councils shut or have inadequate support facilities.

Toilet blocks the same for the past 30 years with little or no investment or closed after 7pm...???
Local road infrastructure not been invested in.
Not enough bins around car parks, beaches and beauty spots. Those that are there, are usually too small.

Councils need to do much more, instead of squeezing the tourist lemon, like repurpose car parks which could produce revenue for overnight stays in limited numbers.

Campsites are full on the weekends at the minute. The only other solution is to wildpark.

However, I sympathise with locals, who have to put up with inconsiderate people who don’t take care of the places they enjoy and visit.

When we park somewhere, we leave it as we found it. You wouldn’t even know we had stayed there...
The vast majority of people leave a place as they found it.
I don’t sympathise with the locals anymore, after the hostility aimed at full timers during Covid, and now with this hostility now extended to holidaymakers, rather than making any effort to accommodate people. The countryside belongs to all of us, not just those who live there. One NC500 MP is now calling for a motorhome congestion charge for damaging ‘their’ roads. Is this the best solution they can come up with?

All these people that said they are boycotting Cornwall can't be sticking to their word, it's the busiest I have ever seen it here this week.

All these people that said they are boycotting Cornwall can't be sticking to their word, it's the busiest I have ever seen it here this week.
I’m sure most of those who bothered to think about it and state they’re boycotting probably are. They’re probably the one’s prepared to put the effort in and research other places in the UK. There’s a whole load of others prepared to fill the void, especially the new staycationers seeking sun, sea and sand.

The vast majority of people leave a place as they found it.
I don’t sympathise with the locals anymore, after the hostility aimed at full timers during Covid, and now with this hostility now extended to holidaymakers, rather than making any effort to accommodate people. The countryside belongs to all of us, not just those who live there. One NC500 MP is now calling for a motorhome congestion charge for damaging ‘their’ roads. Is this the best solution they can come up with?
It’s a shame that the initial lockdown idea of a lovely pink, fluffy, inclusive utopia didn’t materialise. But it was never going to happen. Now things are worse than before with “I’m alright Jack” and “not in my backyard” prevalent. Isolation has bred prejudice and intolerance.

As a predominantly cynical person, I just hate it when I’m right. :(

I’ll still go there, and I’ll make sure I stock up with everything I need before I do, so that I can spend as little money as possible while I’m there.

The problem is that the Cali (a true campervan) is being classed the same as Motorhomes aka Big White Whales.

I have seen some of the worse driving and parking from these BWWs. And some of the most in considerate overnighters too!

We are no different to a standard small delivery van.

Will the likes of Amazon, British Mail, White van driver etc. be included....of course not!

we visited Temby last year.

The car park had a couple of designated 'Campervan' parking slots.

These were big enough to allow a single deck bus to park.

I asked the parking warden and was told that I needed to park in one of these slots. It cost a couple of extra quid to park.

When I asked about a couple of transits, I was told that these were classed as a large car.

I tried to argue the case but was on to a loser. And was told that if I ignored her recommendations then I would be given a parking ticket.

Yes some education is certainly needed!

Did I read somewhere that a California is now classed as a SUV?

It's just all down to one word...

LEISURE

Whenever that word is mentioned the costs at least double or even treble it doesn't matter what you are paying for.

I’d quite happily ban big Motorhomes from busy country areas like Cornwall and the lakes but our vans are no bigger than many cars. The problem is too many people have no respect for where they visit. Coniston yesterday looked like Benidorm and the roads were gridlocked. Some of us have to live in these places and can’t go about our daily lives when they get invaded by people who think they can park and camp anywhere and block access and roads.

I’d quite happily ban big Motorhomes from busy country areas like Cornwall and the lakes but our vans are no bigger than many cars. The problem is too many people have no respect for where they visit. Coniston yesterday looked like Benidorm and the roads were gridlocked. Some of us have to live in these places and can’t go about our daily lives when they get invaded by people who think they can park and camp anywhere and block access and roads.
Why should people have respect for places they visit when the areas they visit want to ban them and whine about them being there? What effect do you think this would have on other popular areas? How about coming up with a solution that benefits both them and the local economy, like for example providing Aires on the outskirts of places like they do in France.
I was in Le Touquet last week, which has banned all motorhomes over 2m from parking anywhere one the town and there are none there. They are all in one of the many Aires they can choose from instead.

T
Why should people have respect for places they visit when the areas they visit want to ban them and whine about them being there? What effect do you think this would have on other popular areas? How about coming up with a solution that benefits both them and the local economy, like for example providing Aires on the outskirts of places like they do in France.
I was in Le Touquet last week, which has banned all motorhomes over 2m from parking anywhere one the town and there are none there. They are all in one of the many Aires they can choose from instead.
The roads simply aren’t big enough for big Motorhomes. I agree they need more places to stop but in the numbers we are now seeing Now it will ruin the small places they all want to visit. Some restrictions are needed or our beautiful countryside will be over run. And wether we want them or not they must respect anywhere they visit. People have to live there. I’m sure you wouldn’t want people leaving rubbish and emptying toilets in your street.

T

The roads simply aren’t big enough for big Motorhomes. I agree they need more places to stop but in the numbers we are now seeing Now it will ruin the small places they all want to visit. Some restrictions are needed or our beautiful countryside will be over run. And wether we want them or not they must respect anywhere they visit. People have to live there. I’m sure you wouldn’t want people leaving rubbish and emptying toilets in your street.
Improve the infra structure then. Where would you like them to go instead? Hardly anybody leaves rubbish and empties the toilet on the street. It’s a tiny minority. Focus on enforcement against them. Provide adequate facilities for the visitors who are coming. The big motorhomers blame the campervans as they have no in built toilet facilities. The campervans blame the white whales. Neither of these is the problem. It’s the council for not providing suitable alternatives and the handful if morons who need to be dealt with.
Respect works both ways. Make an effort to accommodate visitors and they will show their appreciation.

Improve the infra structure then. Where would you like them to go instead? Hardly anybody leaves rubbish and empties the toilet on the street. It’s a tiny minority. Focus on enforcement against them. Provide adequate facilities for the visitors who are coming. The big motorhomers blame the campervans as they have no in built toilet facilities. The campervans blame the white whales. Neither of these is the problem. It’s the council for not providing suitable alternatives and the handful if morons who need to be dealt with.
Respect works both ways. Make an effort to accommodate visitors and they will show their appreciation.
Coniston has opened 3 temporary sites but they are all full and people still come. It is full we can’t accommodate any more. The school allows people to park there but yesterday there were 2 idiots driving all over the sports pitches so I’m sure that will change their mind about that. There are far too many people with no respect for anything. With the licensed sites and the temporary sites there are now more than 6 places you can camp in Coniston. That is probably 6 times the population or more When you add up all the spaces for vans but people just turn up and park anywhere blocking access for emergency vehicles. We are happy to welcome tourists just not in these numbers. If you don’t have a pitch don’t come. The roads aren’t big enough for large vehicles and that is part of the attraction of the lakes. If you widen the roads it becomes like everywhere else and spoils it for those who choose to live in small isolated villages.

Council’s don’t have the money.
Perhaps they need to increase their council tax and/ or business rates, to provision facilities and accommodate the visitors many local businesses rely upon for their income. They need to come up with solutions which don’t simply push the perceived problem out to other areas.

Perhaps they need to increase their council tax and/ or business rates, to provision facilities and accommodate the visitors many local businesses rely upon for their income. They need to come up with solutions which don’t simply push the perceived problem out to other areas.
We are already taxed to death and business rates are killing most small businesses. So this won’t work.

Coniston has opened 3 temporary sites but they are all full and people still come. It is full we can’t accommodate any more. The school allows people to park there but yesterday there were 2 idiots driving all over the sports pitches so I’m sure that will change their mind about that. There are far too many people with no respect for anything. With the licensed sites and the temporary sites there are now more than 6 places you can camp in Coniston. That is probably 6 times the population or more When you add up all the spaces for vans but people just turn up and park anywhere blocking access for emergency vehicles. We are happy to welcome tourists just not in these numbers. If you don’t have a pitch don’t come. The roads aren’t big enough for large vehicles and that is part of the attraction of the lakes. If you widen the roads it becomes like everywhere else and spoils it for those who choose to live in small isolated villages.
Well, it’s legal to park and sleep anywhere on the highway providing you are not causing an obstruction or littering. People are not obliged to stay on sites. This year is likely to be exceptional in terms of visitors, so it will probably calm down next year.