Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

stearing knock

Not a cali but my 61 plate transporter has the knock. Used to come and go but is fairly constant now. Current mileage 32000.
Doesn't seem much point getting it looked at until there's a proper fix.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Hi
This morning i spoke to vw customer care service advisor about that but she advise me, it a known problem and vw aware of this.

She also mention vw working on it. But currently no proper fix for that so you have to wait, but no safety concern you can use your cali as a normal way.

My advice all those have same problem call to vw customer care service and lock your problem so we can create the pressure on it.

thanks
JK

I too had the steering knock on the right turn. I booked into VW Hatfield this morning and told them there was a lot of chat about this on our site. They contacted VW who have recognised that there is a "problem" and are going to come out with a "fix". Not sure wether this will end up as a recall or just fix when broken. They assured me it is not a safety issue just a "clunky" joint.

Mine went in for interim service this morning and told steering knock is known with no permanent solution yet so the offending 'sleeve' will be packed with grease and then left to eventually restart knocking. Not sure whether to laugh or cry. Is that the best VW can come out with?

Cody said:
no permanent solution yet so the offending 'sleeve' will be packed with grease and then left to eventually restart knocking. Not sure whether to laugh or cry. Is that the best VW can come out with?

Vorsprung durch Technik Grease

gamort said:
Cody said:
no permanent solution yet so the offending 'sleeve' will be packed with grease and then left to eventually restart knocking. Not sure whether to laugh or cry. Is that the best VW can come out with?

:laugh2

gamort said:
Cody said:

What a joke !
I cant wait for mine to go in on Thursday and to listen to all the VW bull**** !
Keep watching for more info ……… :shocked
Oh and surprise , surprise …..the email i was promised by the Tonbridge SMG Customer service advisor reference blistering paintwork on roof last wednesday……….not arrived!!! :D funny that ….No surprise …..USELESS!!!!!!

Well I'm joining this club as well. Mine went in for steering knock and they greased the steering column....no good.

I had a meeting yesterday with Crewe VW and they looked at all the posts and spoke to VW HO Agreed we are all waiting for a proper fix from VW. Even the new golf has a knock!

Anyway Crewe will no longer be VW van centre from Mon. So now transferred to Wrexham and will meet them next week. Seems nothing is easy or straightforward. Where would we be without this super club and all the contributors !

My Cali is 3months old with 3000miles

Malc

Our 62 plate Cali (just 12 months old) 6000 mile Cali went in today for the steering knock, plus I had also noticed a noise when turning left at 30-40mph; not a knock, not a scraping or grinding noise, just a noise I noticed shouldn't be there.

Dealer advised there are issues with 2013 models but didn't think that would apply to ours.

Turns out it is the same steering issue and our dealer (heritage Bristol) is awaiting response from VW UK to recall vans and address the problem.

If yours is a pre 2013, I suggest you get it checked regardless in case you get missed of any recall that may be imminent.

We took delivery of our California on Sept 27 2013 and within 2 weeks noticed a steering knock. Less than 1000miles on the clock and returned it to the dealer. We've been told that VW head office will send us a letter confirming "they are aware of the problem but have no known fix"....we've also been told its safe to drive. I would ask if they don't know the cause or fix how can you possibly know if its safe to drive?
Two very unhappy folk here.

My Cali 2012 with 5000 miles has also just developed a slight knock when turning corners slowly

Got the Cali back today after it's service. Chaps really nice good job and the steering knock fix? Yep, the grease fix lasted all of 10metres. The knock is back with a vengeance. Glad wasn't charged for the work or would be really grumpy as against a tad disappointed, not with the dealer I might add but with VW for not gripping the problem. Or am I expecting too much. Anyhow, on to the paint fix on roof and rear door handle, at least the light in the tunnel is a train this time.

I went to book mine in to be seen but instead the service receptionist showed me a big pile of existing customer work requests awaiting a fix from VW. Instead he merely took my details and said they would get back when they heard from VW. The number of customers waiting made me reasonably confident this will get addressed.... they could not leave that many customers dissatisfied could they?

Steve

By the way is there an admin who could correct the spelling in the title of this thread?? :thanks

I have just been contacted by my dealer to inform me VW have given them part numbers for the fix which will be delivered next Tuesday. My "Cali" is booked in for Tuesday, will let you know if I learn anything else.

redredzimmer said:
Amazing coincidence??... or just a common issue - My 2013 Beach (with Servotronic Steering) is with my local dealer today. I have covered 7500 miles since March.

New steering column going in on Thursday

Re: steering knock

My Cali, a 2012 180 DSG with 7K on the clock, had it's first annual service today. I reported the steering knock problem and they were suggesting the usual replacement of the steering column until I showed them all the messages from the forum. Eventually, they contacted VW Customer Services, which I had done 2 days ago, and now have issued a TPI registering the fault on my Cali.

Customer Services were fully aware of the problem and that previous solutions had not been successful. They tell me that if there is no apparent damage, wear or scuffing of components, then re-greasing or replacement of the column is not the recommended procedure. A proper fix is being sought.

I also have the dreaded blistering paint fault on the front roof panel. The dealer suggested repainting the affected area until I showed him all the messages on the forum. They again contacted VW Customer Services and received the same advice that I had 2 days ago, not to do any rectification as there is now a factory approved solution. They have issued a TPI for my Cali to register the problem with VW. I actually saw the VW internal message instructing the dealers to proceed in this way.

The current talk within VW is that the trained technicians from Germany held a workshop recently in Milton Keynes to instruct selected dealers to do the work, but the general consensus was that the procedure was too advanced to be carried out in this way. They are now considering setting-up a central facility to carry out the work.

Without the forum, we would all be in the soup, because individual dealers do not know the full picture on these issues. Well done everyone.

Thank you Dylan ... My Cali goes in 2weeks from now. They know the problem but want to confirm it is the same one everyone has. As you said well done to this forum and all contributers. Malc

Can’t believe it , a problem we haven’t had – YET, I’ll have to phone VW and complain ! ;)
It seems strange to be left out of problems :!:

Re: Steering knock

Going into South Hereford Van Centre tomorrow as we too have the dreaded knock. I just want to get it recorded so that when a fix is resolved we are in the queue (as well as the paintwork queue)

I will post the outcome.

It'll be fine.............

New steering column fitted today, and all seems fine, however, I was asked to sign a document to say that the new column was a temporary fix, and that the fault may reoccur. It also made reference to VW UK actively working on a solution with VW in Germany, and that a permanent repair would be made as soon as this become's available.

The dealer service person told me that they have seen many of these, and that VW UK have sent some affected vehicles back to Germany for detailed analysis of what is happening.

My girl only has 1500 miles on the clock and last week I started to experience the steering"clunk" but only when carrying out slow turns.

Discussed with my excellent VW dealer in Poole who were fully aware of the problem and arranged a one hour appointment to grease the UJ. They did make it clear that this would be an assist not a full fix and they would add my name to the list waiting for a modified UJ from VW. I was assured the vehicle was still safe to drive, but having any kind of an issue with steering is a concern.

Incidentally the front discs and pads had to be changed at just 1200 miles when I experienced a wheel wobble when braking.

Again I stress a great response from VW Poole but a little worrying for a vehicle with a high price ticket.

Just back from South Hereford Garages with a similar story. They are well aware of the issue and did the grease packing thing.
ChArLIe is now registered as having the fault but there was no real news or information on a proper fix.

SHG were very professional and helpful.

yup , it looks like we will be driving around with an irritating little clonk every time we turn right until the dudes at VW come up with a proper fix. Going to have to find some left turn only adventures for awhile :D

Yes we to have the dreaded steering columb knock. This at the moment is predominantly when turning at slow speed to the right, but also happens when turning to the left. I have informed my local dealer and was informed that VW are aware that it is a fault and they know they have to find a fix. I was told by my dealer that they could do nothing at the moment until VW decide what they are going to do. My vehicle has been registered by the dealer as having the fault. Very disappointing VW as I have paid so much and this issue became apparent within 1000 miles, now has 3,700 miles and is 2013 registered.

Problem with steering knock with me on my 2013 Cali,noticed at 3500 miles disappointed but that's life.
I feel confident VW will soon come up with solution .
Emailed my dealer to report problem who responded within short space of time to tell me he will notify me as soon as fix is available.

Always been a great fan of VW after owning a 02 reg Transporter tdi works van.
Drove it for 11 years only ever had one issue when I stupidly switched on windscreen wipers when frozen to screen and blue a fuse :mrgreen:
My son is now driving around in the van with the original battery still on it (11 years old).

Keep :D

Alan

Back