Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

stearing knock

Well it looks like Im getting there! My van went into Wrexham van centre and they reported the knock problem to VW Germany by sending a video { dont ask how} and they rang me yesterday to say that VW Germany had received 2 problem vans returned to them from UK. and had sorted the problem. VW Wrexhan said they had successfully sorted one van already and had not come back after 2 days. They were instructed to reposition the steering rack. Easy......
So Daisy goes in next Wed to be sorted. Would appear VW have at last sorted the problem. Mind you i am very impressed with Wrexham and their attention. I hope this is the end to steering knocks!

Let's hope they've cracked it.

I have driven three 2013 vans recently and two of them had the dreaded knock.

Makes me grateful I've only got a rusty roof!

We picked ours up 6 weeks ago, jan 2013 registered, 7000 miles. Started noticing the very annoying knock after a few drives. A couple of weeks ago I checked the tyre pressures thinking something was wrong and all tyres were about 10 psi down, only a month after picking it up from the dealer. So assume they were incorrect then? With the correct pressure the knock has all but gone, the low tyre pressure in our case must have exacerbated the problem. I doubt the underlying problem has gone, but for now it's not annoying.

My van went in on Wed this week. I have deliberately left posting to make sure it stays fixed. I have done 100plus miles and it's like driving a limo ...jus beautiful. So far it appears to Be ok. The vehicle they did the previous week is still ok also....but

This is important. It seems that there are a no of fixes for varying problem for the steering knock. The vehicle before mine had his whole steering rack replaced. Mine had the steering rack adjusted with a higher torque and greased. Dave the manager of the service side knows his stuff and is familiar with Cali's. Dave and Allen from Wrexham VW can be called on 01978 340606

They are keen for business and when I said that I was posting this report they were very supportive and will try and help any members of the club

This is from an email from VW yesterday as my steering knock is registered with Customer Services.

'We are currently investigating the concerns regarding your vehicle's steering knock with both our Factory in Hanover and our Technical Support Team. Please be assured that at this point we have no evidence of any inherent fault in the steering column
components.'

That doesn't suggest to me that this has been fixed at all. :sad

Been dreading to report .....the greasing did not work .....clunk. Just had a new steering rack fitted last Wed ...Malc

My New steering rack fitted in October is now knocking!! :sad

redredzimmer said:

If you undo the column adjuster and move the column in/out & up/down a few times this usually helps most :)

choplee said:
redredzimmer said:

If you undo the column adjuster and move the column in/out & up/down a few times this usually helps most :)
No luck - my new steering rack is now knocking worse than ever... But hopefully VW have a solution now!!

Had my steering column replaced in October. Around 1200 miles later the knock has returned.
Van booked into dealers mid January for them to re-examine.

Will let you all know the outcome.

I haven't been on the forum for a while and came on to ask a different question when I came across this thread - I've got this problem too and I just thought I was noticing something that may have been there all along but my 9K 2012 Cali has this now too. So I wasn't going mad after all!! :)

Will get it booked in too and join the ranks!

Got our 61 plate cali in Feb 2012 - its got about 10k miles on it, noticed the problem soon after buying it to be honest - doesn't seem to have got any worse but the problem is there.

First post..hi all...though been reading site since last xmas.

I have new cali picked up in june , 4motion DSG 180, knocking started at 1000 miles and was then "greased up" by dealer, was fine but returned with a vengeance after xmas, 1800 miles. Just spoke to dealer and he said VW were looking in to a fix. So no point greasing up again. Bit of a shocker this happening for a 50 grand Bus. :headbang Hopefully a recall soon.
Is there a poll on this site similar to the blistering paint so we can see how many have this problem?

cheers

Not to my knowledge but I think it would be a good idea ....would be very interesting . Malc

..having read some of the other VW t4/t5 forums , its does seem quite a common problem...there are few wazzed off builders aswell as campers..!

Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a Cali brand new, but after reading these posts not sure I want to put myself through the pain of dodgy steering racks! I am amazed that VW has not addressed this problem. As the earlier post suggests it would be very interesting to see how many of the members have had this problem.

2 guys I was talking to at work today about my prospective purchase warned me of this, they both have standard vans. I did a search and sure enough... boom! I'd like to know that VW have this defect sorted before I go shelling out my hard earned. I will ask the dealers. :sad

Topdog said:
Hi all, I'm thinking of getting a Cali brand new, but after reading these posts not sure I want to put myself through the pain of dodgy steering racks! I am amazed that VW has not addressed this problem. As the earlier post suggests it would be very interesting to see how many of the members have had this problem.

2 guys I was talking to at work today about my prospective purchase warned me of this, they both have standard vans. I did a search and sure enough... boom! I'd like to know that VW have this defect sorted before I go shelling out my hard earned. I will ask the dealers. :sad

They certainly don't have it sorted.
I have spoken to VW customer care and they say it maybe the state or our roads.
Personally I would avoid the purchase until it's sorted. I am happy to let you know once mine is resolved, however I'm not hopeful. 4 months down the line and still nothing...!!!

malc said:
Only right hand vehicles I believe .....

I would suspect that's the case

I don't have the problem myself but that's just luck.

I think this will be something to do with RHD and engineering RHD vehicles - but only speculating

James

...well mine was sat for a while with steering knock.....then i had a around 400 miles of straight motorway driving last week....and i also inflated the tyres before the long journey........and the knock has gone for now...?!? go figure...

I'm off to talk with the guys at Hereford VW on Saturday. I have mentioned this issue and they have assured me that they know of it and it has now been resolved. But then they would if they want to sell me a van I suppose! Hmm. I wonder, has anyone else heard that it has been resolved??

Haha
The dealer is having your pants down.
This arrived through my door this morning. That's right, still no solution...!!!

FE9B41B5-4FF2-42EF-8E7A-1E3432ABCC47_zps873io52v.jpg

Attachments

• FE9B41B5-4FF2-42EF-8E7A-1E3432ABCC47_zps873io52v.jpg
    FE9B41B5-4FF2-42EF-8E7A-1E3432ABCC47_zps873io52v.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
Back