Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

stearing knock

Ha! Thanks for that mate, really interesting. I will take a copy with me and show them, see what the response is. I'll let you know.

well after my clonk disappeared from 600 odd motorway miles it came back after being sat on the drive for a about 3 days...then i took it for a drive for an hour...urban driving and it went after 45 mins.....so it does seem ..in my case that its a heat/warming through issue...?!!?

no poll yet adimz? :? it might help see the scale of the problem and send info off to VW?

For what it's worth like some other owners I took mine to my local can centre and got it fixed under warranty. Hasn't reoccurred. Yet ! :)

Okay I have the definitive cause and resolution for the "clunk" on turning left which in my van started as it approached 2K miles. Definitely on left turns, not on the right and no feedback through the wheel.

So sent a hie email to the dealer last night after the problem seemed to be occurring regularly over the past few weeks.

Today found a can of coke under the front seat. It would shift and hit the inner surface on turning left but the wiring underneath cushioned the cans return movement. Now without this thread I recon conclusions would not have been jumped to and I'd have done a bit more detective work.

Not saying its not a serious problem for those who have the "knock" but I don't half feel foolish tonight and thank goodness the tone of my email was friendly and won't need to eat too much humble pie.

Andy

Snigger. When the dealer contacts you perhaps just say the clonk has gone away and you'll let them know if it comes back!
My clonk still hasn't returned after I carried out the choplee fix of releasing the steering lock and waggling it about a bit, must be a couple of months now

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Hi campers

I'm very pleased to report that I have been without steering knock now for approx 1200 miles
which started to happen when the vehicle registered approx 3000 miles.
I haven't had anything done for this to happen,so hope it's permanent :D

mine hasn't returned either...i think its the warmer weather..!!!

I was at our local Bristol dealer a couple months back, they had vw technicians in from Germany looking at several cali's with the steering knock. They were carrying out inspections and taking measurements to take back to try and solve the problem. Having been into the dealers a couple of times, they haven't heard anything from vw yet, so the saga continues....!!

well mine returned last week...when the weather and temperature dropped...then disappeared again when it was warmer this weekend..!!!

Evening all

Not sure if this is of interest to you guys but I logged my slight knock with vw last year and pretty much forgot about it as it's only small. While having my first service done last week at vw in Worcester I just mentioned in passing to the service manager that they still haven't come up with a fix yet etc etc. any way just had a call from him saying he has a couple of guys flying in from VW Germany next Monday that want to try what they beleive to be a fix for this problem with a few new parts on a couple of vans and would it be ok to try it on mine ! If it solves the issue it's to be run out transporter wide!

Said I would drop my Cali in Monday for them to test it on. :? Will keep you posted.

:thanks

In my case it was the top bearing of the Mc Pherson columns, It occurred on the first day of summer hot weather.
To verify the bearing it is to turn the driving wheel whilst a second person is touching the columns springs. Shaking springs = faulty bearings.

It took them about 3 hours to replace the bearings (in Poland), knocking never returned.

Regards
Andrzej

Better late then never to report that when my van went in for its first 2 year service (March this year) I mentioned the steering knock had returned
When I collected the van the service manager told me steering knock has been remided....5000 miles and all is well so I'm presuming VW has come up with a standard procedure in dealing with the issue.
Looked back on some of the related posts but couldn't find anything to suggest this.
Could it be that human nature being what it is that were quick enough to complain but not quite as quick to praise...hence my late post :D

Alan

Had my steering knock sorted under warranty last week..new steering column ...nice and tight now..and no knock in the low temps that i was experiencing...I did have to ring up and chase vw to see if there was a fix though. They didn't get back to me even though i registered a good year or so ago.! So if you still under warranty give your local dealer a call as they have a fix now. Hopefully this is the end of this knock!

I just got a quote of 650 pounds to replace the steering column.

Gutted as I am just out of warranty. By a couple of weeks. I should have got them to look at this a year ago.

It's never really bothered me that much, but now I am as sick as a dog

I just got a quote of 650 pounds to replace the steering column.

Gutted as I am just out of warranty. By a couple of weeks. I should have got them to look at this a year ago.

It's never really bothered me that much, but now I am as sick as a dog
I would suggest you get in contact with VW Customer Services as this is a known problem and VW have a modified steering column. Use the Search function or Google to get additional information. They should, as a minimum, contribute to the costs

I would suggest you get in contact with VW Customer Services as this is a known problem and VW have a modified steering column. Use the Search function or Google to get additional information. They should, as a minimum, contribute to the costs
Thanks, did as you suggested and vw customer service sorted me out. The contacted the dealer and got them to do it on the warranty I am now very happy thank you

Had my steering column changed this week at SMG (Cowley) within the last couple of weeks remaining on the warranty together with 3 year service
The steering seems more responsive and somewhat smoother now :)

Back