Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

stearing knock

D

dicksteruk

Advice please guys. I have a 62 plate california it has only done 2k and seems to have developed a annoying little knock in the stearing wheel on slow turning .I live in hertfordshire and would like advice on the best dealer to take it to for the warranty work to be done.
Many thanks

I had a slight clonk when going around roundabouts etc but not when parking. Felt like a loose joint. New this year with 6500 miles. Monday 20th, VW at Chelmsford had it on the ramps for half an hour and fixed it (fingers crossed) Fitter said on bottom of steering there is a sleeve (part of the joint which is ment to collapse in collision ) which is adjustable. He lowered this and cured it saying it is not dangerous just annoying. On the way home it was fine clonk gone. Hope yours is the same and as easily solved. The fitter explained it to me but I still don't understand the mechanics of it (thick) just happy its gone. But if it comes back I will be wanting a new joint. Paul.

Took ours in (2013 model) last week and had the lower steering column replaced. Trouble is it is now 10 times worse so its going back in after I've had a look at seeing if I can cure this myself. Dealer did admit they have seen it before and there is no definitive cure. The loan kombi did it as well but not as ad.

EXTREMELY common fault on all T5.1 vans - there's a thread on the T4/T5 forum and stacks of people have had it.

We had ours replaced (new steering column) at about 7k miles. If it's under warranty, it's not a worry but it appears to be as much of an issue as the bubbling roof paint one.

Thanks for the feed back guys! Its booked in for 4th november , will let you know how it goes.

Amazing coincidence??... or just a common issue - My 2013 Beach (with Servotronic Steering) is with my local dealer today. I have covered 7500 miles since March.

Clearly an epidemic! Mine, at 8000miles, has just caught the disease as well.

Paul1 said:
I had a slight clonk when going around roundabouts etc but not when parking. Felt like a loose joint. New this year with 6500 miles. Monday 20th, VW at Chelmsford had it on the ramps for half an hour and fixed it (fingers crossed) Fitter said on bottom of steering there is a sleeve (part of the joint which is ment to collapse in collision ) which is adjustable. He lowered this and cured it saying it is not dangerous just annoying. On the way home it was fine clonk gone. Hope yours is the same and as easily solved. The fitter explained it to me but I still don't understand the mechanics of it (thick) just happy its gone. But if it comes back I will be wanting a new joint. Paul.

How did you find VW Chelmsford?

Not literally of course it's by the roundabout lol

How was their service?

James

I have just booked my California (2012 Berghaus) in for exactly the same thing (11500) miles.
I have added this to my long list of issues that require attention!!

List of works requiring attention

1, Paint Blistering on roof front panel.........SMG Tonbridge have known about this for about 2-3 months now and still awaiting exactly what they are going to do about it!
2, Steering knock
3,Water Pump from main tank not working
4,Roof blind works its way open when travelling
5, Drivers door rattle when window down
6,Illuminated Aluminium California sign by side door gone black
7,Table rattles when travelling
8,Waste water digital display not working

The growing list of problems (as small as some of them are) is beginning to take away the big grin i had on my face when i finally purchased the vehicle i had wanted for so long.
OK you could argue that its warrantied , but this is not the point .A vehicle of this spec/ price point should not have so many faults which from what i read on the forum are very common. My biggest issue has become the paint blistering on the roof , which i have to keep chasing SMG about and just keep being advised that they are awaiting a deciscion from VW as to how to proceed . I have now asked SMG to obtain something in writing from VW head office advising as to the current situation with regard to the blistering roof , which i was promised by SMG i would have yesterday ........but as per usual no contact from SMG.

This is the most frustrating thing about warranty work ......we have to do all the chasing , or at least i seem to have to. Am i the only one?

I am not quite at the point where i want to sell my Cali .........but i have started thinking about going across to the "Dark Side " and purchasing a ......dare i say it......Motorhome!!! :headbang

Come on VW ....get your act together !

Anyone else getting frustrated with the faults or am i just unlucky ? :sad

We had steering knock sorted by verve glasgow van centre. Basically they seem to have stripped down and lubed the steering sleeve and that has done the job -so far...,

Apparently this is a problem that can affect crafters also (so I was told)

Also, looking at the long list of faults above our beach also has the rattling door when window down. Must report that and get it seen to as I find it quite frustrating. My other half thinks I have "rattle OCD" or similar illness as she is blissfully unaware !

Steering clonk is well documented and VW are trying to come up with a solution.
Seb

Hi

I have a 3 month old 2013 Kombi van with the same problem, it went into VW Cardiff (Sinclear Van Centre) when it was around 2 months old and done a fraction over 2000 miles and had a new steering colum fitted (they told me it had a new steering colum fitted) and within 2 weeks the clunking was back only a lot worse.
Now the dealer told me they are unable to fix it and I should speak to VW customer service if I'm not happy! (which I'm not)
Has anyone here that has had the problem fixed done any signficant miles since without it happening again?

Thanks Andrew.

Hi,

Just to add to my last post around half an hour ago.

I have just contacted the main VW customer service on 0800 7834909. The chap I spoke to confirmed that this is a very common problem and the repair I had done was called a "temporary repair" as they have not yet identified the exact cause of the problem and that if I had another steering column it would more than likely do the same thing within a few weeks.
He assured me that there will be a permanent fix but it won't happen overnight.
I gave him my details as was told that when they do find the cause and have a reliable repair they would contact me. We'll see if they do?

We do have another 2013 Caravelle that’s about a month older and covered more miles and the steering is fine on that...

If anyone else has given VW their details could you let me know if they contact you.

Many thanks.

Just logged onto the forum to research a knocking I identified this morning ! Low and behold I am not alone with this problem. 2013 DSG 4motion 5000 miles. Blister on the roof sadly appeared in recent times but other than that vehicle has been fantastic

James, Re VW Chelmsford, that was my first experience of their service and found it very good. Looking at the posts on the forum me thinks that could have been a temporary fix so hopefully next time will be the same. By the way got the Cali (new) from Colbornes Guilford, who were excellent but too far away for servicing etc. Paul.

fordyski100 said:
7,Table rattles when travelling
8,Waste water digital display not working

Are you sure you are engaging the lower securing on the table, it will rattle like hell if you don't.

The waste water indicator is not graduated in the same way that the fresh does.

"Are you sure you are engaging the lower securing on the table, it will rattle like hell if you don't.

The waste water indicator is not graduated in the same way that the fresh does"

Thanks Stu
Yeh ive checked table and fitted extra felt pads , but cannot stop the rattle.
With regard to waste water i have even completely filled the tank and still no level showing on display .
Appreciate suggestions though as i really would like my vehicle to be fully functioning soon.So its off to dealer next week.

Concerned about previous posts regarding steering knock being still looked into by VW......thats both the steering knock and bubbling paint for me!! :sad

defender1 said:
We had steering knock sorted by verve glasgow van centre. Basically they seem to have stripped down and lubed the steering sleeve and that has done the job -so far...,

Apparently this is a problem that can affect crafters also (so I was told)

Also, looking at the long list of faults above our beach also has the rattling door when window down. Must report that and get it seen to as I find it quite frustrating. My other half thinks I have "rattle OCD" or similar illness as she is blissfully unaware !

Categorically not fixed........argh. Clunk still there loud and clear this weekend.

Two weeks old and mine's started knocking, too. Low speed, turning left or right. Can hear it and feel it through the steering wheel.

Hi After 2 week this weekend i start my cali and after few meter driving i also notice steering knock sound back again. 4-5 weeks ago my cali had a new steering colum fitted by vw dealer because of this sound.

its totally frustrate to me, :headbang :headbang :headbang :headbang i already dealing with Side Electric door problem from last 2-3 months. my cali been to 4 times to fix door problem but no success. i also escalate door problem to vw customer service but no proper fix.

thanks
JK

Right let me add mine to the list as well - really glad I found this posts as I was expecting a world of pain in diagnosis (tryes / tracking / steering etc). Mine feels like there is a loose ball joint and is evident on roundabouts turning right with some loading on the passenger side wheel. I experience an unnatural click / clonk felt through the rim that causes a bit of nervousness in the steering. Mine again is at 8000 miles which feels fairly consistent with other mileages listed.

Steve.

Add mine to the list as well guys, noticed a slight knock when turning at very low speed either left or right. It a 62 reg and just clocked 9000 miles will try and get it looked at in the next few weeks. :doh

Cheers

Steve

That's spooky timing. Getting mine checked tomorrow for a thud/knock/clunk/bonk/thunk I have recently felt through the steering wheel in slow speed turns

I've got the same knock on my steering too....62 plate done 15,000mls. There seems to be no end to this list of "common faults" ! is that why we love them so much ?? :?

Back