Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Step removed

It looks great without the shining step! I'm considering removing the step as well. Do you have a picture of what it looks like from underneath? Did you have to make any adjustments when removing the step? For example, what about the cables leading to the step?

It looks great without the shining step! I'm considering removing the step as well. Do you have a picture of what it looks like from underneath? Did you have to make any adjustments when removing the step? For example, what about the cables leading to the step?
From the side under the sliding door there is 6 bolts. I should probably put the bolts back in. Then underneath the cable can easily be wrapped and tied, and a further 3 brackets unbolted. it literally took 15 min to remove.
We never used the step from day one.

I had VW remove it and bin it. All up they charged £47

BFD4CF49-F103-4AB4-85F4-7814A1258CFC.jpeg

118E0D81-8563-4166-9151-E8DD983553CD.jpeg

I'd roll underneath with spanners etc. and spend the £47 elsewhere. But there again I've built five campers so a bit of work underneath even for a 73 year old doesn't daunt me.

Would it not have been best to remove it your self and keep it. Maybe for resale reasons?

Hello,

I thought I read somewhere that something has to be changed at the controller also, because the camper will report an error when the step is "just gone". For that reason I would prefer that VW would look after this.

But I am a bit jealous because whatever I ask my VW dealer to do, which is outside standard VW repair work, he refused and say "... they can't do it...".

Regards,
Eberhard

Hello,

I thought I read somewhere that something has to be changed at the controller also, because the camper will report an error when the step is "just gone". For that reason I would prefer that VW would look after this.

But I am a bit jealous because whatever I ask my VW dealer to do, which is outside standard VW repair work, he refused and say "... they can't do it...".

Regards,
Eberhard
Not sure about the controller, all in all it took 30 min to do but the step was removed in 15min. So perhaps something else was done. Either way though I have no errors appearing and everything works as normal.

Back