Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storage options in the Beach

Always at bedtime I think its a problem where to store all clothing. Food and fridge is usually stored in the boot so that is no problem.
What about these bags? A bit expensive at 300€
http://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de/...n-t5/Zubehoer/zubehoer-packtaschen-t5-t6.html

Thanks @kave - I've just ordered a set, direct from VanEssa. Their ordering process, is a little cumbersome, as they do not accept mastercard/visa payments, but we got there in the end via PayPal (however, there was an additional charge for this service.)

I'm looking forward to getting them delivered and installed, will share some thoughts afterwards.

Thanks @kave - I've just ordered a set, direct from VanEssa. Their ordering process, is a little cumbersome, as they do not accept mastercard/visa payments, but we got there in the end via PayPal (however, there was an additional charge for this service.)
I made payment direct through my bank account. Delivery charges were 22.75 Euros, making a purchase cost of 317.75 Euros (£276.53) My bank robbed me of £9.06 on the exchange rate, and another £9.50 in fees for robbing me on the exchange rate, making a total theft of £18.56 (6.7%) on the entire transaction.

Total price charged by my bank = £295.09. Was Paypal cheaper?

PayPal's exchange rate was £1 = €1.11, which equates to a stealth charge..... Total charged to my account today £293.12, for bags, delivery and sellers €6.40 PayPal levy.

PayPal's exchange rate was £1 = €1.11, which equates to a stealth charge..... Total charged to my account today £293.12, for bags, delivery and sellers €6.40 PayPal levy.
Bugger - I could've saved myself £1.97 (10.6% of the total usury fees).

My idea behind this thread was to discuss different storage options. Here is one more from Maxcamp for the 2 seat beach:
maxxcamp-heckschrank-henry-hecktasche-heckbereich-tasche-verstauen-c45cb6eef931ca7g73ab5f5ab136f0d5.jpg
I like the look of that, shame it doesn't have a 3 seat beach version.

Great idea but 462 euros! I have the vanEssa ones, used for the first time last year . Great to use and as we have the seat forward then camping you don't miss the rear side windows.

How much can you actually get in the VanEssa ones? My good lady likes the look of them and not just because her name is Vanessa too.
Capacity for the pair is about 90 litres - the same as about four small daypacks. It also states 20Kg, but doesn't say if this is per bag or total - my guess is total, but I'd love to be wrong.

If you want them, you may have to wait a while - they are now out of stock.

Last edited:
I made payment direct through my bank account. Delivery charges were 22.75 Euros, making a purchase cost of 317.75 Euros (£276.53) My bank robbed me of £9.06 on the exchange rate, and another £9.50 in fees for robbing me on the exchange rate, making a total theft of £18.56 (6.7%) on the entire transaction.

Total price charged by my bank = £295.09. Was Paypal cheaper?
I've heard from VanEssen, they received 302 Euros. Apparently 15.75 Euros was stolen from the transaction by their bank (even though the money was sent in Euros). Because my bank didn't warn me of this possibility, they are sending VanEssen a further 15.75 Euros without cost to me.

If they didn't do this, the total transaction cost to me would be:
£9.06 robbed on the exchange rate
£9.50 theft for sending euros
15.75 Euros stolen by the receiving bank
= £32.27 embezzlement from me by the two banks

I have emailed VanEssen suggesting that they suggest a better way for non-Euro customers to pay.

Last edited:
IMG_9104.JPG
IMG_0184.JPG
IMG_2797.JPG
IMG_5174.JPG
IMG_0133.JPG

Received my order within 2x days, which is pretty quick by all accounts from Germany to Northern Ireland. It's a wet & windy day outside, so apologies for the poor lighting in my carpark. I've the "comfort" mattress, for 3x seat bench, and it's a bit tight with that on top of the multiflex-board.... But it does fit, and the tight fit, should ensure rattle free travel.

I'm happy with the purchase so far. Any questions, or if anymore pics required, let me know.

Thanks for the OP @kave

Last edited:
I'm tempted by these. I like the idea of fitting them for camping trips, and then removing them for normal duties. This kind of flexibility is what makes the Beach amazing :)
Just be a bit careful - Jonathan Duke seems to have a natural talent for photography - if he photographed a haemorrhoid I'm sure he'd be able to make it look like something everyone would want.

Last edited:
View attachment 19866
View attachment 19867
View attachment 19868
View attachment 19869
View attachment 19870

Received my order within 2x days, which is pretty quick by all accounts from Germany to Northern Ireland. It's a wet & windy day outside, so apologies for the poor lighting in my carpark. I've the "comfort" mattress, for 3x seat bench, and it's a bit tight with that on top of the multiflex-board.... But it does fit, and the tight fit, should ensure rattle free travel.

I'm happy with the purchase so far. Any questions, or if anymore pics required, let me know.

Thanks for the OP @kave
Great, they are all out of stock now. What do you store inside them? I havent decided on them myself, I dont know what to use them for, cuttlery, bedding, clothes?

Great, they are all out of stock now. What do you store inside them? I havent decided on them myself, I dont know what to use them for, cuttlery, bedding, clothes?
I plan to use ours as we would a wardrobe. Cooking, eating and pitching stuff below the multiflex; bedding and clothing above the multiflex; food, personal items (e.g. i-pads for adults, toys for children) in front of the bench.

On a practice pack..... We have one side each, myself and my Wife Sarah..... In each of the lower compartments, there is room for a sleeping bag, pillow cases, sandals, wash bag, towel, PJs, various cables/chargers and books/kindle.

In the upper compartment, spare clothes, jacket and some food/snacks. They are quite cavernous really.... Still room for more. Our intention, is to have any grab items to-hand, inside the van, which will save us stepping outside, and opening the tailgate, every time we remember we need something from the boxes under the multi-flex board. This is especially annoying, when we have bicycles loaded on the tow-bar carrier, as our current cycle-carrier does not tilt back sufficiently to allow the tailgate to open.

Last edited:
We pack light when going abroad expecting good weather and get clothes for 2 adults and 3 kids in them, all except waterproofs and shoes which are in the boot. Great to use and less things to move around as right next to you in the morning when you need them.

How do they get fixed to the windows? Could you guys show a picture please?

On a practice pack..... We have one side each, myself and my Wife Sarah..... In each of the lower compartments, there is room for a sleeping bag, pillow cases, sandals, wash bag, towel, PJs, various cables/chargers and books/kindle.

In the upper compartment, spare clothes, jacket and some food/snacks. They are quite cavernous really.... Still room for more. Our intention, is to have any grab items to-hand, inside the van, which will save us stepping outside, and opening the tailgate, every time we remember we need something from the boxes under the multi-flex board. This is especially annoying, when we have bicycles loaded on the tow-bar carrier, as our current cycle-carrier does not tilt back sufficiently to allow the tailgate to open.

Get the Atera Strada rack.
Its slides clear of the tailgate fully loaded. Absolutely vital to have easy access to all of the van. Best thing we did was get rid of the Volkswagen rack for this one.
Really like the look of the storage bags. Wonder if they do black ones.
Would free up some space in the boot

Get the Atera Strada rack.
Its slides clear of the tailgate fully loaded. Absolutely vital to have easy access to all of the van. Best thing we did was get rid of the Volkswagen rack for this one.
Really like the look of the storage bags. Wonder if they do black ones.
Would free up some space in the boot

Thanks.

I've reluctantly ordered, the Thule EuroClassic G6, as it also tilts forward enough alike the Atera Strada. I say reluctantly because, neither the Thule EuroClassic or Atera Strada are easily stored, especially as I live in a small 2-bedroom flat, on the 7th floor. My current Thule EasyFold, is perfect for these storage restrictions.

So, I may have to keep both the EuroClassic G6 and the EasyFold carriers, and store the EuroClassic at my parents when not in day-to-day use over the summer. I would then retrieve the EuroClassic, before embarking on a long-tour, when I definitely need regular access to under the multi-flex board. For shorter weekend trips, the EasyFold will be at hand, and ready to go.

... Our intention, is to have any grab items to-hand, inside the van, which will save us stepping outside, and opening the tailgate, every time we remember we need something from the boxes under the multi-flex board ...

This is us! We currently manage with a North Face hold-all each which end up piled on the swivelled passenger seat - though the colour coding is handy though for "Dad, where's my [...]?" "It's in your bag, the green one" exchanges.

I shall be ordering these Vanessa bags, many thanks both.

Back