Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storage options in the Beach

Hi Steve,

No issues to-date, I've spent 40x nights in the van so far, and no issues with the fit.

The mattress is in two parts, one remains on the multiflex, the second sits on top. Both are removable, easily.

A useful tip, we push the top mattress piece towards the window, this leaves a gap between the mattress and the backrest of the bench seat..... There's enough space here to squeeze a double duvet into. Will try and take a photo of it next time.

I would definitely order the comfort mattress again, worth a lot more if you decide to sell it, as it costs more from VW if ordering outside of build.

Cheers, Jonathan

Hi Jonathan,

I have the Vanessa bags on order but I've also had my windows tinted. In your opinion would you think that when installing the window bags it could cause the tint to be damaged?

Hi Jonathan,

I have the Vanessa bags on order but I've also had my windows tinted. In your opinion would you think that when installing the window bags it could cause the tint to be damaged?

Interesting question..... I'm getting my windows tinted this week, and had wondered the same myself. I've taken the leap-of-faith anyway, may be a few weeks before I can report back tho.

Hi Jonathan,

I guess you are having them tinted with film in which case the bags could lift the film off the window if Velcro is used at all.

[QUOTE="A useful tip, we push the top mattress piece towards the window, this leaves a gap between the mattress and the backrest of the bench seat..... There's enough space here to squeeze a double duvet into. Will try and take a photo of it next time.[/QUOTE]

IMG_0836.JPG

Having cracked a cheap storage box for the second year running I'm looking at storage draws for the boot, Jonathan that make are the ones you got and what size? Amarillo what size muji draws did you get? And how robust do both of you find them? I hope by not taking them in and out a lot I'm let likely to break them, thanks.

Having cracked a cheap storage box for the second year running I'm looking at storage draws for the boot, Jonathan that make are the ones you got and what size? Amarillo what size muji draws did you get? And how robust do both of you find them? I hope by not taking them in and out a lot I'm let likely to break them, thanks.

I purchased from Cromwell-Direct. Not cheap, perhaps cheaper elsewhere, but they're a very robust box, built for much more abuse than they should expect to receive in the role that I have assigned them to. I ordered 4x 600x400, and 2x 400x300. I believe you can just about fit an additional 2x of the 400x300 however, I use this space (behind the 2x 400x300 visible in above photo) for an emergency toilet

Screen Shot 2017-06-06 at 10.31.09.png

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply, I will look at their site.

I have used really useful boxes, locking lids and not managed to break one yet. Since the slidepod they live in the garage with camping stuff inside, seems to keep out the damp and rodents too.

Interesting question..... I'm getting my windows tinted this week, and had wondered the same myself. I've taken the leap-of-faith anyway, may be a few weeks before I can report back tho.

VanEssa bags are fine, alongside window tints.... There's no Velcro involved, on the tint-film itself, even if you decide to use the supplied Velcro blocks (which I don't.)

Those boxes look superb - what sort of cost Jonathan?

Those boxes look superb - what sort of cost Jonathan?

I paid £104 for the set, once delivery was included..... They are a perfect fit tho, so I was happy to pay what I felt was a premium, for what are basically plastic boxes....! However, they do also great to double-up as outdoor table-tops, when cooking outside, and will hopefully last a long time.

IMG_0184.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed - for six in that quality that is a very fair price.

I paid £104 for the set, once delivery was included..... They are a perfect fit tho, so I was happy to pay what I felt was a premium, for what are basically plastic boxes....! However, they do also great to double-up as outdoor table-tops, when cooking outside, and will hopefully last a long time.

View attachment 22558

Hi Jonathan how do the Van-Essa window bags attach to the windows as I've looked at the mounting instructions but cant seem to figure it out.For anyone who are after the bags they should be in stock in a couple of weeks time.Invoice received and paid via Transferwise,thanks WelshGas for the tip.

Hi Jonathan how do the Van-Essa window bags attach to the windows as I've looked at the mounting instructions but cant seem to figure it out.For anyone who are after the bags they should be in stock in a couple of weeks time.Invoice received and paid via Transferwise,thanks WelshGas for the tip.

They simply set-in...,. There's a lip around the outside edge, which holds the bags in-place. Foam blocks where also supplied, to wedge in the gap between the top corners and the window blinds, but I found these are unnecessary, as the bags stay in-situ as is, and don't rattle. The rear bench seat may be helping them stay secure, so not sure how they would perform if the rear bench seat was in a forward position, perhaps the blocks needed then.

So, I gave up and ordered the Vanessa bags. Tired of moving arround clothing bags when setting up the bed at night, I hope all stuff that we usually store on top of the multiflexboard that isnt bed related can go inside these bags.
I wondered how they will fit with the comfort madrass in place, this is how it fits:
i-xsHfp38-X3.jpg

View from inside:
i-tjMShLJ-X3.jpg

I have bought the Ikea packing bags Upptäcka, a steal at 6€ for 4 bags,
upptacka-packpase-set-om-bla__0153332_PE311667_S4.JPG

to sort our clothes. This is what fits in one of the Vanessa bags, ie one side:
i-8wpzMd7-X3.jpg

i-qMFwDfH-X3.jpg

As always I am keen to go out them out fo real.

I have these from Homebase - 2 larger ones with all the cooking and dining stuff in them, and two of the smaller ones which stack on top of each other with 'other stuff' (hot water bottles, bin bags, documentation, tea towels, etc) - they live out in the shed and then fit nicely under the bench when camping, with space for groundsheet, fold-up washing bowl etc on top of them. they're great as you can fold up one half of the lid to get stuff out rather than having to take off the whole lid
http://www.homebase.co.uk/en/homebaseuk/strata-65l-smart-storemaster-box-and-lid-194765

In the warm summer in south of france the glue that attaches the velcro on the pads holding the bags in the upper area have loosened. I first solved it with contact glue, was not a good solution since that never hardens.
I tried gluing it with epoxy which seem to have solved it.
Make sure you have a look on yours too, it have probably moved a bit in the summer so make sure it wont fall out.

Another storage idea.
I decided to get some cargo netting for storing some things whilst at camp.
I'm thinking this is where I will store my clothes at night, instead of all over the front chairs. Something else to help keep us organised.
Plus it will live in the roof full time, so not taking any additional space.

Might be handy

IMG_5992.JPG

IMG_5993.JPG

Anyone have photo examples of storage for a two seater bench seat version of the Beach

Always at bedtime I think its a problem where to store all clothing. Food and fridge is usually stored in the boot so that is no problem.
What about these bags? A bit expensive at 300€
http://www.vanessa-mobilcamping.de/...n-t5/Zubehoer/zubehoer-packtaschen-t5-t6.html
Carrying the storage options theme a little further. I am working out how to achieve my needs in the Beach. I favour a bespoke storage box under the Multi Flex Board. But before I decide on design, am i missing the obvious in the use of the MFB? Hinges allow the lifting of two sections giving access to the boot. All very good, but I always have a mattress, clothing, bedding etc on top and, in reality, I cant use those moving parts to gain access. Are they in reality pointless or am i missing something?

Interesting. Buy a Beach, with excellent visibility, light and airy with a good all round view and then blank off 25% of the windows.:sorry
I thought that as well but on reflection changed my mind. Use them when camping then take them off when using the Beach for another purpose and regain visibility. Very flexible, if expensive, option but meets the needs of a multi purpose vehicle.

Back