Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Storage options in the Beach

The multiflex board is a pain in the ass. Fine if you have nothing stored on top, but for most of us, we have bedding etc there.
A few people have removed and built something more useful. Others such have myself have left in-situ and added a sliding draw.
Have a look through this thread.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/adding-a-slide-out-drawer-in-the-beach.14501/

View attachment 24959

View attachment 24960
Thanks for prompt response. I have seen these threads before and will follow a version. You have answerd my question in that i am not missing an obvious way to use the hinged aspect of the multiflex!

Thanks for prompt response. I have seen these threads before and will follow a version. You have answerd my question in that i am not missing an obvious way to use the hinged aspect of the multiflex!

It folds down in a couple of different positions to suit loads.
But only helpful with nothing on it.
Would be better if the multi was connected to the rear chair and slid and with the chair IMO

At bedtime I can lift the rear part of the mft and shut off the fridge since it is hinged. Without our slide out drawer I can push the bench to the rear thanks to the hinge in the front of the mtf. I think it is quite clever in its configuration.

I use Transfer Wise for Bank Transfers to good effect for "small" amounts.

https://transferwise.com/?m_web=true&

I've recently made a purchase from VanEssa. In order to make a transfer I use a prepaid card called Revolut https://revolut.com . You then top up your card then convert it to Euro's at the mid market rate. You then set up the recipients bank details and just send the amount that you need to send. All this is done via an app and is fee free.

When I bought from them a phoned them with query (fortunately their English is very good) and they accepted either paypal payment or a credit card, cheaper than bank transfer.

When I bought from them a phoned them with query (fortunately their English is very good) and they accepted either paypal payment or a credit card, cheaper than bank transfer.

My transfer was free with Revolut.

forget beach or ocean.I have a beach and storage is an issue. but check out this net I found in Halfords for 8 quid called a transporter net. coincidence the name. every bit helps. great for your night wear and stuff. and it stays in place when I pull the roof down so it's always there.

20170709_160707.jpg

So the last post was a year ago. How have you all found the windows bags over the last 8 months? Would you still recommend them?

They are holding up very well. I just came home from a three week trip, me and the wife plus two kids.
All our clothing, except jackets and shoes, where stored in the four pockets of the Vanessa bags.
I also think they isolate from warmth and cold a bit.

They are holding up very well. I just came home from a three week trip, me and the wife plus two kids.
All our clothing, except jackets and shoes, where stored in the four pockets of the Vanessa bags.
Yes - very similar here. The four of us were away for a full year in our Beach, so had winter as well as summer clothing. All base layer clothing went in the bags (underwear, socks, shirts and tee shirts, trousers and shorts). Waterproofs, sweaters and fleeces were generally stored in an Ikea underbed case which fits nicely between the rear of the bench and multiflex frame. If required daily, the coats or fleeces or whatever were hung from ridiculously expensive Brandrup coat hooks; we have four each side.

The VanEssa bags are showing their use. Zips, which often go, are holding up, but the sticky tape holding the velcro has de-stuck. Easily remedied. They've also gathered a bit of dirt over the year, but that is due to their intensive use. They do stay securely in place.

I realise it’s not a Vanessa window bag but thought I’d post in case anyone is looking for an alternative. Last year we bought a Maxxcamp Henry second hand from @Salty and it’s been excellent! Easily fits all of our clothing (except shoes and bigger warm coats) for two adults and two children for a three week trip - including lightweight warm weather clothes, pants and socks, thermal base layers and jeans, rain jackets and lightweight jackets.

We use small packing bags/cubes from eBay to organise and make it easy to get the right things out whilst getting as much stuff in there as possible! We also fit four Hamam towels and essential wash bags (i.e. not all the wife’s war paint and potions) into the top pocket. It’s made things much more organised compared to our previous approach and means we can use the side storage box for non-fridge food and supplies and then the under bench drawer for other high frequency use bits. We also bought the ‘henriette’ to completely block the light and use the pocket on it to hold packs of baby wipes and nappy sacks - surprisingly essential with an 8 and 10 year old, they don’t have nappies but boy do they get sticky!

Wife is currently sewing up some additional pockets to go on the sides of the Henry for holding other small bits - will post pictures if she gets it completed in time before we go on holiday.

I honestly think that for a two seat beach it’s the perfect storage solution - holds all you could need, easily removable, only blocks one window. Can’t recommend it enough - thank you again @Salty and a I hope you’re doing well!

Jez

I got mine second hand from Romke (californiacamping.de ones), superb buy, they have made such a difference when using the van as a camper, in fact I do take them out but they are in more than out these days.

I don't use velcro with mine they dont seem to need it. Only downside is condensation behind the bags in certain weather but they are quickly removed and the condensation dispersed.

Last edited:
I also believe that Slidepods can get the Nest window bags (and rear window bag too). They look quite good too but not used them.

A market then for VW to produce a Beach without Rear Side windows and a built in storage system instead as an Option.:thumb
No. You've missed the point. No Beach owner would want or need the rear window storage all of the time.

I used to have reservations about these rear window bags blocking the rear windows however now that we have a set it isn't really an issue. We only use them when on a camping trips or touring when there's only the two of us. The rest of the time they are removed and stored in true Beach fashion.

The Van Essa bags are superb, well made, easily fitted in a jiffy and provide removable storage and a bed side table all in one for both sides of the bed. We keep clothes, head torches wash bags, car keys etc in ours. You can reach it all from the comfort of your bed. If you a staying in a B & B or hotel each window bag can be removed and taken in as a suitcase. The loss of visability isn't a big issue.

Thays goos
No. You've missed the point. No Beach owner would want or need the rear window storage all of the time.

I used to have reservations about these rear window bags blocking the rear windows however now that we have a set it isn't really an issue. We only use them when on a camping trips or touring when there's only the two of us. The rest of the time they are removed and stored in true Beach fashion.

The Van Essa bags are superb, well made, easily fitted in a jiffy and provide removable storage and a bed side table all in one for both sides of the bed. We keep clothes, head torches wash bags, car keys etc in ours. You can reach it all from the comfort of your bed. If you a staying in a B & B or hotel each window bag can be removed and taken in as a suitcase. The loss of visability isn't a big issue.
Thays good to hear @Borris as that was my only concern in regarss to the visibility and having acces accest torches etc whilst in bed is only a bonus.

So does it matter if i will use these with the 2 seater? Read some comments on here that there not for a 2 seater??

Best of all I can take my bags in the house, pack them, then install them in the van, very easy :)

The loss of visibility to the rear is in the least important windows anyway.

Interesting. Buy a Beach, with excellent visibility, light and airy with a good all round view and then blank off 25% of the windows.:sorry
Well, it's only one more window blocked off than in a Coast/Ocean...

For those who are concerned about the lack of visibility when these bags are fitted, should note the following:

1. You can't see the rear side windows in the main rear view mirror when driving,
2. The rear side windows are of almost no use when manoeuvring.
3. The rear boot window, parking sensors and door mirrors aid reversing, these side windows do not.
4. The window bags do not obscure the view through rear window.
5. If they obscure light when camping you can remove them.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="MarkVw2017, post: 298508, member:

So does it matter if i will use these with the 2 seater? Read some comments on here that there not for a 2 seater??[/QUOTE]

You will only be able to fit one rear window bag to a Beach with a two seat rear bench. It has to be fitted to the n/s (UK) rear side window. It's not possible to fit one on the o/s as the shape of the bench seat would prevent that. These bags are handed so make sure you order the correct side. However, from memory I believe the Van Essa web site prevents you ordering two if you pick the Beach - two seat rear bench option.

Last edited:
[QUOTE="MarkVw2017, post: 298508, member:

So does it matter if i will use these with the 2 seater? Read some comments on here that there not for a 2 seater??

You will only be able to fit one rear window bag to a Beach with a two seat rear bench. It has to be fitted to the n/s (UK) rear side window. It's not possible to fit one on the o/s as the shape of the bench seat would prevent that. These bags are handed so make sure you order the correct side. However, from memory I believe the Van Essa web site prevents you ordering two if you pick the Beach - two seat rear bench option.[/QUOTE]

California-camping.de have bags that can fit onto both sides of a 2seat beach - which we’ve bought and they work very well.

If ordered as a pair for a beach, you get 4 detachable bags on each side (rather than 4 half sized on bench side and 2 full length on other side)

We’ve just come back from a 2 1/2 week trip and found those windows being blocked a non-issue for us as the time we spent in the van was driving and sleeping

https://www.california-camping.de/v...-zweierbank.html?___store=en&___from_store=en

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You will only be able to fit one rear window bag to a Beach with a two seat rear bench. It has to be fitted to the n/s (UK) rear side window. It's not possible to fit one on the o/s as the shape of the bench seat would prevent that. These bags are handed so make sure you order the correct side. However, from memory I believe the Van Essa web site prevents you ordering two if you pick the Beach - two seat rear bench option.

California-camping.de have bags that can fit onto both sides of a 2seat beach - which we’ve bought and they work very well.

If ordered as a pair for a beach, you get 4 detachable bags on each side (rather than 4 half sized on bench side and 2 full length on other side)

We’ve just come back from a 2 1/2 week trip and found those windows being blocked a non-issue for us as the time we spent in the van was driving and sleeping

https://www.california-camping.de/v...-zweierbank.html?___store=en&___from_store=en

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]
That's interesting. I was unaware of this product. Perhaps I should have made it clearer that my comments referred only to the Van Essa window bags.

Back