Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Struck by Lightening - charging circuit affected

S

stanadey

VIP Member
We've just returned from a trip to Spain. In the last few days we were unlucky enough to be struck by lightening when inside the van around 10pm. Apart from the simultaneous flash and bang there was also a noticeable click from the control unit. This had reset itself back to 2010 and 00.00 hours on the display. This was easily fixed but the symbol for the electrical plug had been replaced with the battery symbol which meant that we were on battery power only.

I checked the trip switch and sure enough it had flipped to the off position. Resetting had no affect on the missing power. The campsite connection was in a locked box so we had to wait till morning to check the sites own trip switch. In the morning we found that this had also tripped. We were reconnected to a different socket and found we now had power to the 240 V mains socket. We could boil water in our kettle!

Unfortunately there was still no charging symbol shown on the display, just the battery symbol. I assume that means anything, such as internal lights and maybe the fridge, not fed directly through the 240V supply will be discharging the leisure batteries. I also noticed that when on the move the battery symbol was replaced by the letter G which I guess means the vans generator is charging the batteries.

So any advice would be welcome.
First just where is the fuse for the charging circuit? I've checked the fuse box under the passenger seat and the information given on fuses in the downloads section is'nt the same as our 2010 California. Where it shows a 30A fuse for the charger there is just an empty space! In any case I checked all of the 30A fuses on this fuse box and they were OK.
Second if I need to replace the charging circuit, where is it and can I buy a replacement to fit or does it have to be a trip to the main dealer?

This is only our second big trip with our California and apart from this we've had two great trips this year and are very pleased with our second hand 2010 model - bought from an advert on this forum.

Try this first.

1. Switch off the Control Unit, using the L lower button. Wait at least 30secs and then switch on. Do you have the Mains symbol? If No then try 2.

2. Press the R lower button on Control Panel and hold for a few seconds. The display should now show a new menu. Scroll down to show VW Dianostics. Click button. Any Diagnostic Codes? If Yes then write down and then scroll to the Clear/Reset and press button. Do you have the Mains symbol? If No then could be a fuse somewhere but might require a trip to an Autoelectrian.

Sad to hear , hope you get things sorted out .

Just an info :

Where you on hook up and did the lightning hit the cable?
Becouse i was told by my dealer the first thing to do when lightnigs are arround is to unplug the Cali hook up AND the plug in side from the site so the cable is bouth ends loose....
The Cali itself is pretty safe that way mainly couse the pop-up roof is alu.

Back