Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Supermarket Fuel

Your Handbook states which oil to use with a specific standard for particular engines, so as long as the oil met the VW standard, yes. It was probably made in the same facility and just packaged differently.
Yep I’m aware of the oil you need to use and it’s spec .
I was saying would you use a Tesco’s own brand over an esso or a decent oil ect..
I have been restoring and rebuilding cars for over 30 year and I think you definitely get what you pay for,
there’s certainly different quality products
For example a 5/30 Tesco’s own brand vs
a top quality 5/30
I doubt there both exactly the same oil just in a different package

Please please all keep buying the really expensive super branded wonder fuel. They add almost 10% for this marketing marvel and if it keeps the share holders happy and the price of my regular down then I'm happy too... Just saying :rolleyes:

With Defenders people swear by a decent quality oil to keep it strong and in good nick this surly isn’t scaremongering

I have a feeling that Esso supply all Tesco diesel, and all franchise Esso stations which have branded shops have Tesco Express. If you see a Tesco tanker, it contains Esso fuel. I do not know whether or not a Tesco tanker would supply an Esso station.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
This wasn’t an Esso tanker, it was a 3rd Party tanker. Also our local Esso Garage is run by Spar with their own Spar Express.
Maybe different in The Principality.

With Defenders people swear by a decent quality oil to keep it strong and in good nick this surly isn’t scaremongering
They might swear by it, but cannot prove it. I’ve had 3 Defenders over the years and used 2 Stroke Oil religiously and noted no change. Even got my son to add or not add the oil after a fill up. I couldn’t detect any difference . So gave up and just drove.

They might swear by it, but cannot prove it. I’ve had 3 Defenders over the years and used 2 Stroke Oil religiously and noted no change. Even got my son to add or not add the oil after a fill up. I couldn’t detect any difference . So gave up and just drove.
2 stroke oil ??
As an engine oil ??

Please please all keep buying the really expensive super branded wonder fuel. They add almost 10% for this marketing marvel and if it keeps the share holders happy and the price of my regular down then I'm happy too... Just saying :rolleyes:
Same as buying a super duper California
Why buy one when you can get a van conversion for half as much???
Because you like quality
I’m far from a brand snob ....
I’m just saying:)

I have a feeling that Esso supply all Tesco diesel, and all franchise Esso stations which have branded shops have Tesco Express. If you see a Tesco tanker, it contains Esso fuel. I do not know whether or not a Tesco tanker would supply an Esso station.

Its not... but I’ll tell you in a PM so your not left dangling..

2stroke oil is a premix oil, designed to be diluted with petrol to lubricate the bore .
i pitty the person or people that own your old defenders welsh gas lol
I hope one of these I have just rebuilt at work wasn’t one of them but saying that the engine smoked like mad on one of them so maybe it was :)

Same as buying a super duper California
Why buy one when you can get a van conversion for half as much???
Because you like quality
I’m far from a brand snob ....
I’m just saying:)

Errr..In buying a Cali the quality is evident, it really is the best out there. My point was the marketing of expensive profit making branded (super) fuels.. Please prove the value in paying so much more for your fuel. I'll bet you can't. Though I'd appreciate the education if I'm wrong. It's all marketing spin (i.e.how can we make more money out of people) it's the norm in the world nowadays. VW is an expensive branded product too but at least you can see for real what thought and detail you get for all the extra expense.

I just throw in whatever is convenient,

Supermarket, hypermarket. common market or ever so upmarket. It all fits the same ISO standard and VW do not proscribe it so hey-ho.

Errr..In buying a Cali the quality is evident, it really is the best out there. My point was the marketing of expensive profit making branded (super) fuels.. Please prove the value in paying so much more for your fuel. I'll bet you can't. Though I'd appreciate the education if I'm wrong. It's all marketing spin (i.e.how can we make more money out of people) it's the norm in the world nowadays. VW is an expensive branded product too but at least you can see for real what thought and detail you get for all the extra expense.
I haven’t checked recently but surly Tesco isn’t so much cheaper than texaco or esso I really must check if it’s sooo much more expensive as you say.

Last edited:
I copied this from the Essar oil website, they own Stanlow oil refinery near Runcorn.

"We are a major supplier in North-West England with customers including most of the major retail brands operated by the international oil companies and the hypermarkets, together with Manchester Airport and the region’s trains and buses. This effectively means that whatever mode of transport you use in the region, it is likely it could be running on fuel provided by our refinery".

Personally I can't see them producing particular fuel for each and every customer.

I’m really not too bothered about it either granny jen just mentioned I had a crap experience after filling up at Tesco,so stick with others nowadays and that was it lol...
Just my opinion lol

I’m off to m&s now ;)
but I better call at texaco on the way :) and get my asse slapped for some some super duper overpriced diesel

........and I'll bet you can't prove that paying more for "(super) fuels" is a waste of money either!

Last edited:
This is one of those regular unproveable urban myths that goes around every so often, with strong views on both ends & a few “whatevs” in the middle. No one is ever convinced one way or another & it’ll never be resolved or go away completely.

I personally think it all comes out of the same refinery as @Loz describes, though there may be something in it as far as how well it’s kept (same as pubs & beer). I go wherever is most convenient, with a mild positive, though unscientific, bias toward Shell & BP rather than Tesco & Morrisons.

I haven’t checked recently but surly Tesco isn’t so much cheaper that texaco or esso I really must check if it’s sooo much more expensive as you say.
My comment was in general and not personal to anyone. Sorry if you took it personally. The difference between the cheapest and the most expensive super dooper new wonder fuel is normally more than 10% in my area. In France it's up to 20% plus between supermarket and mega brands. So to me that's some £500-£900+ extra per year. Pray tell what is the return on this investment? Will my van last longer? Will I have a better resale value? I'd guess it means jack s%it. If we all believe the marketing men (and women), then we'll all have less money to spend on Merlot ... and that's really bad!

........and I'll bet you can't prove that paying more for "(super) fuels" is a waste of money either!
Thats my point exactly... there is no proof. It's all marketing spin!

Last edited:
This is deja-vu to me :sad

Once upon a time, not long after when the man with the red flag was waiting to be made redundant, this discussion broke out in another forum I was associated with. Within days it made DSG v Manual and Beach SE seem like childs play :shocked

I am sure additivation adds some value to the fuel being dispensed. The value to me of that "added value" is dubious. As long as I fill up with a fuel that falls within the manufacturers stipulated standard then if it blows my engine up the manufacturer can fork out for a new one. If of course it happens to be out of warranty, by which time I will have covered at least 80,000 miles, I would suspect that the fuel eaten for all those miles will not be the major contributor to engine failure.

As to fuel consumption: I have no idea how to work that out at this time of year as a good part of my diesel consumption is chewed up by the main objective of keeping me warm :shocked If I take my last 300 miles my consumption was 21 mpg ... towing a caravan and with the eberspecher glowing red at night!

We had problems with Morrison's in Scotland a few years ago with our old Bongo. Limp mode for 120 miles isn't funny. Filled up with Esso and the problem disappeared.
Met a guy on a campsite at the Moto GP in Aragon a couple of years ago. Turned out he was the ex CEO of Shell UK. We discussed this issue and he said no doubt that the branded fuel us better than non branded. Yes it meets minimum standards but the big boys put the additives in which prolongs engine life.
Shell apparently buy a bunch of engines from a manufacturer and then run them with different fuels until they break.
The top brands come out top.
So if you want to keep your vehicle for a long time, use branded fuel, if not then use what you want and let the next user suffer the consequences.
Supermarkets buy their fuel on the open market or, the cheapest. Sometimes it's ok, sometimes it isn't as it can come from the bottom of the tanks and contain impurities but it doesn't have the additives of the branded stuff which keep the injectors and other parts cleaner.
For the sake of a few pence why risk it?

So what happens in France where the majority of fuel stations are supermarkets?
I've lived in France for over 25 years and always fill up at the local supermarket. Never had a problem.

This wasn’t an Esso tanker, it was a 3rd Party tanker. Also our local Esso Garage is run by Spar with their own Spar Express.
Maybe different in The Principality.
Oh well,it was a fine theory of mine - now blasted to bits - based on my two local Esso stations having a Tesco Express, and ever recalling having seen an Esso station with anything else.

I used to use Tesco high octane (97 I think) unleaded in my Impreza WR1. Couldn’t buy better fuel anywhere.

Nowadays all brands have a regular and a premium, but mainly for petrol, but the difference can be 10p/L.
I am in no doubt that certain additives are better but whether you as an end user can really tell the difference is marginal, but if it makes you feel better, do it.
As I said earlier I add millers (cetane) because I paid nearly 60K for our cali and the intention is to keep it long term, so together with the boosted fuel, I am also on a time and distance service regime.

Back