Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Supermarket Fuel

2stroke oil is a premix oil, designed to be diluted with petrol to lubricate the bore .
i pitty the person or people that own your old defenders welsh gas lol
I hope one of these I have just rebuilt at work wasn’t one of them but saying that the engine smoked like mad on one of them so maybe it was :)
All 3 are still going according to DVLA. I know exactly where 2 of them are and no engine change . Obviously you don't follow Defender2.net or you would know all about it.

You mean added to the fuel in small quantities, surely? Not used in place of regular engine oil.
:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang:headbang

Yes, between 50 - 100mls / tank depending on who you wish to believe.

Not into making my own fuel from used chip oil as some do on that site.

Dear lord, can't wait when electric cars take over the world. Will be hard to mess with electricity supply for those marketing crooks.

Dear lord, can't wait when electric cars take over the world. Will be hard to mess with electricity supply for those marketing crooks.
Oh someone will find a way.:confused:

There will be Regular, Super Regular and Super - Super High Performance Chargers.
One will take 30 minutes to charge your battery, one 29.5 minutes and the last 29.3 minutes with at least a 10% difference in cost between each.:D:D:D

I'd be happy to buy wind, hydro or solar electricity for my e-Cali. I'd boycott coal and oil electricity. Gas electricity is acceptable now but that might change. Nuclear fission electricity can go spark. Nuclear fusion when it becomes available in 2025 will be very welcome.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

There will be Regular, Super Regular and Super - Super High Performance Chargers.
One will take 30 minutes to charge your battery, one 29.5 minutes and the last 29.3 minutes with at least a 10% difference in cost between each.:D:D:D
I bet. But you will know exact amperage you got on board and there is no quality of electricity other than delivery methods. And you can charge at home! Or even at the camping.

...and don't forget the copper flux rings on ebay to make the electrons swirl as they go in :veryfunny

I do wonder where the power will come from. The UK alone has more than 37 million vehicles on the road so apart from guesswork and super optimism I think it is many years away if ever. Unless we go nuclear!!!

Your Handbook states which oil to use with a specific standard for particular engines, so as long as the oil met the VW standard, yes. It was probably made in the same facility and just packaged differently.
I do wonder where the power will come from. The UK alone has more than 37 million vehicles on the road so apart from guesswork and super optimism I think it is many years away if ever. Unless we go nuclear!!!
That would be the electric fairy, so lucky to have her and the magic money tree on the same island.

All 3 are still going according to DVLA. I know exactly where 2 of them are and no engine change . Obviously you don't follow Defender2.net or you would know all about it.
No I don’t follow Defender.net.
Welsh gas
But I know plenty about defenders and have done many nut and bolt restorations and know many defender guys who have been in the gam 50/60 years....never once have I heard about putting 2stroke motorcycle oil in the diesel tank ??

No I don’t follow Defender.net.
Welsh gas
But I know plenty about defenders and have done many nut and bolt restorations and know many defender guys who have been in the gam 50/60 years....never once have I heard about putting 2stroke motorcycle oil in the diesel tank ??
Obviously not done much searching.
Defender and 2 stroke oil

When I was overseas with the RAF, we regularly used it in 2 Series !!! Ex RAF ambulances that the local hospital used and that were maintained by the Base mechanics.

When I was overseas with the RAF, we regularly used it in 2 Series !!! Ex RAF ambulances that the local hospital used and that were maintained by the Base mechanics.
I had an Allegro as a company car some years ago, it used a pint of oil every 350 miles, most two strokes use a lower fuel/oil mix than that. Never did that engine any harm, the atmosphere is another matter.

No Obviously not welsh gas
I don’t have time to go from one forum to another, in all honesty and i rebuild them from experience not by using forums,so maybe I have missed out on this tip somewhere along the line.
Not really a forum geek, I just like this forum as there’s some great advice on here places to stay and I like to hear other people’s California experiences as well as help with my own advice from time to time:)

I’m really not too bothered about it either granny jen just mentioned I had a crap experience after filling up at Tesco,so stick with others nowadays and that was it lol...
Just my opinion lol

I’m off to m&s now ;)
but I better call at texaco on the way :) and get my asse slapped for some some super duper overpriced diesel

Tesco do have a track record for contaminated fuel,

As I recall it was not that long ago that a shed load of people were making claims on damage caused by contaminants.

My very first career step, almost half a century ago, was with Total, the french oil company. It was the time of the Yom Kippur war, the Arab oil embargo's, resulting fuel shortages and allocation systems to retailers. I was tasked to manage the allocation system for Total NW from their Bramhall depot. It was the first time that I realised that every conceivable tanker was all collecting the same fuel, Shell next to Texaco etc. I found it quite amusing. I needed something to do so. Telling 300 retailers dependent on fuel supplies for their living that they were going to get 30% less that week was not a pleasant job:sad

The answer will be power storage, encouraging people and businesses to feed the grid at peak times. Battery storage will be massive and could be huge installations like the Tesla one in Australia https://www.theverge.com/2017/12/1/16723186/elon-musk-battery-launched-south-australia
or small units fitted to domestic properties being charged by solar or spare car battery capacity. Very easy to install, low risk and technology getting cheaper every day.

Power storage??? Again no answer to production. You can only store what you generate and the power consumption in the world is massive. Wind is unreliable. Solar up here is laughable. Coal is demonised quite rightly unless it can be cleaned. So who has a credible answer. I don't:(

Apologies back to supermaket fuel concerns. I will stick with ultimate as for last 4 VW's they have been great.

Last edited:
I was talking to someone who worked in the fuel industry recently ( can’t remember who ) but they said that supermarkets buy their fuel cheaper because it’s not as fresh as the big names . Not as big a problem with diesel as petrol which has just gone to 20 % ethanol and goes off very quickly . I’ve always used super diesel because I think it will need less dpf activation on short journeys . No proof . I don’t think you get more mpg . Does anyone know more ? We also were recommended by an outboard mechanic to run our Yamaha 4 hp on superpetrol after we had starting problems . No problems since . We have a Tesco in Poole about 4 years ago where hundreds of cars filled with diesel and broke down very quickly needing very expensive repairs . Don’t know the outcome but think it will be online . So I try to avoid supermarket fuel .
I think you will find he was talking about Wetherspoons beer buying policy

I had an Allegro as a company car some years ago, it used a pint of oil every 350 miles, most two strokes use a lower fuel/oil mix than that. Never did that engine any harm, the atmosphere is another matter.

Good grief.

That must have been about the time that I worked for the company that made them. Mine used to dump a pint of oil on my drive every 350 miles :shocked

Good grief.

That must have been about the time that I worked for the company that made them. Mine used to dump a pint of oil on my drive every 350 miles :shocked
I was working in the Cowley assembly plant, BL insisted that my company had to provide its engineers who worked there with BL cars. We graduated to Maestros when the allegro was phased out, joy oh joy.

I’ve just counted up and I have owned 25 petrol vehicles and 5 diesels. Plenty of problems with the early petrols, including minis, maxis, 1800s, allegros but not, I suspect, to do with brand of fuel. I’ve always bought the cheapest available fuel which, when at home, means Tesco. The only problem I’ve ever had was when I filled up my 530 diesel with petrol. It didn’t run very well at all!

Back