Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suspension Lowering Kit

I feel like getting VW to bung the old springs back on now. But its horrible to drive when its not lowered. Really rolls. Nasty cornering. I might go to Hereford and ask them again now they are on!

Remember that it's a camper van and not a sports car. You could try slowing down a bit:thumb

Remember that it's a camper van and not a sports car. You could try slowing down a bit:thumb
I really drive my Cali probably more carefully than most. I certainly dont throw it around corners :D, but before lowering, even going around a small bend at about 40 mph it didnt feel good, felt like it was going to roll over. Now it feels more like a car. I felt before having lowering springs, I was breaking a lot before nearly every corner. Its not like i am not used to a larger vehicle, having had an old Bedford CF2 van and an old T2 Bay VW. Regarding new springs and lack of warranty cover, I would expect with VWs poor reputation lately that they would be making extra effort in looking after their customers. I have yet to speak to Hereford about this, but I will, and will try and get something in writing, as they promised me it wouldnt affect the warranty when fitted. hhmmm.

I purchased the VW springs from my local dealer and was told absolutely no issue with warranty even though I'm fitting them myself! Vindis Northampton is the dealer.

I purchased the VW springs from my local dealer and was told absolutely no issue with warranty even though I'm fitting them myself! Vindis Northampton is the dealer.
That's good to hear.

I think without the roof bars I am just a shade under 2m

I really drive my Cali probably more carefully than most. I certainly dont throw it around corners :D, but before lowering, even going around a small bend at about 40 mph it didnt feel good, felt like it was going to roll over. Now it feels more like a car. I felt before having lowering springs, I was breaking a lot before nearly every corner. Its not like i am not used to a larger vehicle, having had an old Bedford CF2 van and an old T2 Bay VW. Regarding new springs and lack of warranty cover, I would expect with VWs poor reputation lately that they would be making extra effort in looking after their customers. I have yet to speak to Hereford about this, but I will, and will try and get something in writing, as they promised me it wouldnt affect the warranty when fitted. hhmmm.
I think I must have something wrong with my vehicle then as I don't get this massive, off putting, put the brakes on at each corner problem. It is a 4Motion though. There is a hill out of Cardiff, 2 lanes going up with a 90' bend halfway with a speed limit of 60mph. No problem taking that bend at 60. I know, it's a camper, but if the Range Rover Vogue doing 30 decides to speed up when I pull out then he gets taken. I can accelerate around the bend they always slow. Naughty but Nice.;);)

The VW 30mm lowering springs made a massive change to the handling of my Cali. It seems to be a more stable platform since they were fitted and seems more sure footed. Much better to drive.

Hi Pete M, same for me, until I took my van to Birmingham VW van centre. Waiting on VW customer care who are looking in to it

Does anyone have experience of having this mod on a facelift 180? I find the suspension too soft and the roll excessive. I guess I'm too used to the VW Golf, but I don't want the mod if it is detrimental to the ride quality. Feedback would be appreciated. Ray
Have you thought of adjustable front dampers which can be adjusted to the initial compression with out compromising the longer travel original springing.I have a180 cali with 17 inch wheels when i go into a corner i go in slower and accelerate round which holds the passengers firmly in there seats and stops bodyroll.

Has anybody found a suspension kit that lowers a 4motion dsg? I would love to improve the handling and looks of the vehicle but can't find the right kit. I have tried to find information on the forum of a kit that is suitable but to no gain. I would prefer a non coilover kit (but I am not against fitting coilvers) and something that eliminates the saggy rear end look.

Has anybody found a suspension kit that lowers a 4motion dsg? I would love to improve the handling and looks of the vehicle but can't find the right kit. I have tried to find information on the forum of a kit that is suitable but to no gain. I would prefer a non coilover kit (but I am not against fitting coilvers) and something that eliminates the saggy rear end look.

http://www.banwy.co.uk/product/t6-p...-springs-30mm-2.5-tdi-inc-facelift-genuine-vw

Extra load ones?

Please check before you order, also I know Steve at SMG know's the correct springs for the 4Motion

Please check before you order, also I know Steve at SMG know's the correct springs for the 4Motion
Thank you. I will contact him 1st.

Question...do the T5's with the Bluemotion package already have lowered suspension?

If so, how much lower?

I'm tempted by the Eibach springs, but would feel a bit silly if the car was the same height (or higher) after fitting :)

Question...do the T5's with the Bluemotion package already have lowered suspension?

If so, how much lower?

I'm tempted by the Eibach springs, but would feel a bit silly if the car was the same height (or higher) after fitting :)
I don't think so. Nothing in the Bluemotion package relates to suspension.

We read threads like this with great amazement, if not bewilderment... Why would anyone in his sane mind want to lower a campervan? And then add sidebars which make your bottom clearance even less, especially on 4-Motion models? To make sure your bottom scrapes over every rock on a campsite or on a gravel piste? To rather plough through the snow than ride over it on wintery roads?

Sometimes people refer to the 'look' of the van. We have seen vans at Camperjam so low that they really look silly rather than cool.

Making them higher we could understand: gives you more bottom clearance, makes it easier to drive on uneven terrain, or through thick snow, makes for easier fording of rivers, reach nice secluded spots to camp more easily, etc. The sort of things we thought one bought a (4-Motion) campervan for. But lower?? o_O We're baffled. Other than being able to enter a too low parking garage or paying less toll on French toll roads we don't think we will ever understand lowering a campervan... :(

Each to their own mate..............mine still runs like a dream.....

Really ,how many times have you gone on a campsite full off rocks and snow ???? And knee deep in mudtoday most of the sites we go on including the really small ones have great access and not a 4x4 off road coarse to gain access to the pitch
Mine has been lowered and drives much better and never had a problem anywhere

Really ,how many times have you gone on a campsite full off rocks and snow ???? And knee deep in mud
Well..., many times, actually! :) Iceland, Morocco, West-Alps, Apuan Alps, wild camping across all of Scandinavia, and many nature camp sites here in The Netherlands and Germany even.

We try to stay as far away as possible from camp sites with tarmac roads on them and hard standing pitches, swimming pools and entertainment teams and such. And in general any place were the white giants lurk.
So. e.g. in Scandinavia, to find a place to stay the night we take an unpaved side road, the next unpaved road left or right, and then a small track, and bang! we're in the middle of nowhere next to a beautiful lake or little river. That's why we have a Cali and not a white giant or caravan. And yes, then quite often we are happy with a bit of extra bottom clearance!! :thumb

But of course, as mentioned above: each to his own type of holiday and bottom clearance!
:cheers

Last edited:
Low is the way to go :cool:
If I want something to do the other stuff I'll get a Landy and add it to the quiver..

Low and slow kidz is the only way ... anybody else here going to BJ?:upsidedown