Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Lowering a Cali

Well it is done and the results are great. It looks better, sits better and handles better. Not really noticed too much difference over rougher roads and still have it sitting on Davenport 17’s. Photos got a bit interrupted, small family crisis... Perhaps at the weekend I’ll have time do some uploads.
Farl

Now got it the way I want it. Everything Volkswagen oem.

Amarok 19” wheels (not diamond cut so no corrosion issues)
VW supplied 30mm springs which I gather are eibach.
Heavy duty anti roll bar.

Not too high, not too low, very useable with a comfortable ride, handles well and plenty of clearance.

Happy days!

c3bf34449d2e9fd777843dac53a803e9.jpg

Not too high, not too low, very useable with a comfortable ride, handles well and plenty of clearance.

Happy days!

I must also say that the only 3 campers on that campsite were all California’s a zoom in on the pic. Common as muck!

Hi. I hated the standard set up. The van just rolled around too much with very little body control. Went for bilstein coil overs with 30mm drop and h&r anti roll bars. Also fitted 18 inch speedlines. The van now drives as it should of done from the start.the van can be seen on the vanstyle Facebook page, its the grey one with black alloys

Happy days!

I do like those Amarok wheels, are they load rated for the California and did the dealer mention warranty issues at all?

Hi. I hated the standard set up. The van just rolled around too much with very little body control. Went for bilstein coil overs with 30mm drop and h&r anti roll bars. Also fitted 18 inch speedlines. The van now drives as it should of done from the start.the van can be seen on the vanstyle Facebook page, its the grey one with black alloys

The Ocean with the tow bar? Looks very nice and the offset fills the arches just right. Although, if I’m looking at the right one and if you’ll forgive me for saying.... I’d be a buyer of 30mm.... I think you’ve got about 70mm drop on that. (In hindsight, I think I may be looking at a different one)

Sorry... I’ve scrolled some more, I think I found it - It does look very nice and I like the black with the grey, a lot. (I was looking at a petrol blue one (I think))

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Happy days!

Hi, done the very same to my van, but used H&R heavy duty ARBs. Like you say not to low not to high 20170419_113548.jpg

What size tyres do you run on the Amorak wheels? If I remember correctly, the standard Amorak tyres are wrong profile.

What size tyres do you run on the Amorak wheels? If I remember correctly, the standard Amorak tyres are wrong profile.

That’s right, standard profile is too high. I went on to a number of sites to work out the rolling circumference and as a result chose 255/45 R19 tyres. This way, the load and speed rating was right as well as being as low profile as poss. Reckon they are around 2% larger than standard in rolling circumference so should knock the speedo out significantly. I can live with that!!

That’s right, standard profile is too high. I went on to a number of sites to work out the rolling circumference and as a result chose 255/45 R19 tyres. This way, the load and speed rating was right as well as being as low profile as poss. Reckon they are around 2% larger than standard in rolling circumference so should knock the speedo out significantly. I can live with that!!

Should read “shouldn’t knock the Speedo out significantly”!

I reckon they are about 4% different to the 255 45 18" the 40 profile would have been a perfect match

I reckon they are about 4% different to the 255 45 18" the 40 profile would have been a perfect match
I went for VB air suspension. Low for cruising high for off road and automatic adjustment for uneven sites.

Back