Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Suspension Lowering Kit

Alex,

i too am very interested in lowering springs i have a 2008 130 , will it effect tyre wear on stock 16 " wheels? can you give me a price please to be posted , couldnt find one in vip lounge, much appreciated, Rob

smgcowfold said:
No modifications are needed to fit the Sportline alloy wheels, but there are some restrictions with them.

A 180PS T5 GP can only have the silver or black Sportline alloys fitted due to the larger front brake calipers.

The dark grey Sportline alloys will not fit a 180PS as they do not clear the front brake calipers.

cheers
I've got a 180ps dsg currently with 18 inch Canberras. Is it possible to have the very nice 18 inch Bi-Colour Dakar alloys as well as the VW lowering springs fitted to my vehicle?

Thanks

ROB said:
Alex,

i too am very interested in lowering springs i have a 2008 130 , will it effect tyre wear on stock 16 " wheels? can you give me a price please to be posted , couldnt find one in vip lounge, much appreciated, Rob

No, it shouldn't affect the tyre wear. For postage costs it is best to contact Steve our parts manager direct as he would deal with shipping costs and the ordering.

Thanks

I had this mod done to my 174 late last year together with upgrading to 18" sportlines. This has made a huge difference to the look of the van. I didn't notice the ride being any harsher but it removed the wallowing and bouncy ride.

There is a picture of mine with the upgrade in the gallery under my user name.

Martin

Hi Alex
Is the lowering kit suitable for use on the 4 Motion Cali - as the rear of the vehicle sits lower than normal. Would there be any detrimental effects - to the ride comfort, increased tyre wear/mpg, and most importantly is there any possibility of the tyre contacting the wheel arch, given the reduced level of suspension travel?
If so - is it accepted practice / advisable to lower the front only?

Pete Randles

Has anyone had the VW lowering kit fitted to a 4 Motion California?
Due to the additional weight of the 4 wheel drive system, this model is lower than normal at the rear. I would assume the conversion improves the handling, but are there any detrimental effects - harder ride, increased tyre wear/mpg, reduced ground clearance and most importantly possible contact between tyre and wheel arch?
Is it acceptable/advisable to lower only the front of the vehicle?
Would this be acceptable to insurance companies and/or VW warranty if official parts are used?
Pete Randles

Hi,

I don't think the kit is suitable for 4motion vehicles. It is not advisable to lower the front only either.

cheers

I've ordered a new Cali which I should be picking up in the next week or so.

I've arranged for the dealer to lower it.

Should the alignment be checked after lowering? I don't hear any mention of it here but I think it's normal practice when lowering cars.

Mine was fine ,but the dealership I went to gas a very good service team ... If it plays up then they can sort it out .... I must admit it is a harder ride than the og springs and has caused a rattle I can't seem to find yet ... Lol

I would suggest you have it done as part of the original work. My springs were fitted by the dealers pre delivery and on our first trip I noticed the van pulling to the right. I had the tracking checked locally and it was found to be quite a bit out of specification.

Thanks for the quick replies.

That's what I'll do - ask the dealer to check the alignment as part of the re-springing.

I'm picking it up from a dealer about 2 hours drive away so it needs to be right really as I don't want to be going back and forth sorting bits out.

:thanks

i'm having my 2008 lowered in 2 weeks so i should ask them to check tracking ?

ROB said:
i'm having my 2008 lowered in 2 weeks so i should ask them to check tracking ?

i think it would be worth it rob :thumb

Mine was tracked i've been told by my dealer after they fitted springs

Surely checking the tracking having changed the springs should be standard practice !!??

I have had my Cali tracking & axle alignment fully checked on a lazer setup, not cheep but I know it is now within VW tolerances (got a printout). I have not had springs changed, just did it as a matter of course, new vehicles have reputation for being out.

smgcowfold said:
Hi,

I don't think the kit is suitable for 4motion vehicles. It is not advisable to lower the front only either.

cheers

Errr......I don't think this is quite right at least on our model year, we have a 08 4 Motion, dealer (JCT 600) fitted VW lowering springs and vw Speedlines.....no problems and rides superb, no wallowing in our van......have a look at our pics the gallery

4 x lowered springs for 174ps (ZGB7H0071403)
4 x Sportline 18” Alloy Wheels
4 x Dunlop 235/50R18 Load Rated Tyres

keredewor , did JCT6OO do a good job , mine is there in 10 days ,

also i am trying to see your van in gallery but can't find it , regards

ROB said:
keredewor , did JCT6OO do a good job , mine is there in 10 days ,

also i am trying to see your van in gallery but can't find it , regards

Hi Rob

They did a very good job but then again they couldn't really fail not to as the lowering kit and wheels were fitted on delivery as our van was brand new.

Here is the link to our Cali, it is in photos's under Keredewor, if the link does not work then search for posts by Keredewor
http://vwcaliforniaclub.com/forum/viewt ... f=13&t=918

Spoke to VW and they said that they are not compatible with 4motion vehicles.

Cheers

smgcowfold said:
Spoke to VW and they said that they are not compatible with 4motion vehicles.

Cheers

Alex

My understanding was that it did depend on model year.......if not then JCT 600 have a major legal problem on their hands, can you kindly advise (PM me if you like) whom in VW you discussed this with so I can take it further with JCT 600.

Thanks

I am awaiting clarification from JCT 600 reference this topic, in the meantime I would suggest that until this is clarified that my posts relate only to my van and my risk, I would not want anybody to follow what I have done if the dealer has incorrectly fitted these.

When I ordered my California the specification and the technical aspects of it were documented between myself and the dealer. It is inconceivable to me that the dealer has allowed the lowering springs to be purchased and then fitted with this wheel and tyre and van specification without technical authority to do so from VW, especially when this combination was initially questioned due to the weight aspect by me pre order and notified to insurers post order as a VW dealer fitted accessory.

As soon as I have a written response I will post up.

In truth I have never experienced any issues or problems associated with this change.

Thanks

I would suggest if they are fitted in error then you'd be looking at having the original springs refitted, or new ones if they weren't kept, and then a full refund of anything you'd paid.

I don't know where you'd stand with Compo as it's likely no damage or injury has occured.

If it were me I'd be dealing directly with VW CS and if you have any apprehension about suitability stop driving it.

if you were to stop driving it and for example it was your daily driver the you'd likely be able to claim reasonable out of pocket expenses.

It will get sorted, JCT 600 are a reputable VW dealer, I still have the original springs, I just want it clarified, in the meantime it's not being driven.

Hi all, looking to get 09 Cali lowered by 30mm. Guessing I should get some Eibach springs, though on the net there seem to be two kinds, one set retailing at £390 and another at £250 - what's the difference?

My other dilemma is finding someone to fit them - called around a few garages/tyre centers and no-one will fit them. Anyone any contacts west London/Windsor area? Oh, and VW quoted circa £600.

Cheers
jim