Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Swapping tyres between a T5.1SE and T6.1 Ocean

acer

acer

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 150
I have a T5.1SE that I have just put 4 new "Michelin Cross Climate 2" tyres on. They are 235/55/R17 Y. They have less than 500 miles on. However, I have just agreed to buy a new T6.1 Ocean that will be delivered during the first week of September. The dealer can't tell me the brand of tyres, but the size is apparently 215/60/R17.

I had assumed that I would be able to just swap them over until I found out the difference in sizing. Am I still able to do this? I wouldn't want to make the change if there was the slightest impact on the safety of either vehicle. While the new vehicle has the different size tyre for a reason, I know that people also have preferences about tyres and so maybe I can still make the swap.

Let me know. As usual, I'll do exactly as this forum community tell me!

Those two sizes (235/55 17 and 215/60 17) are actually almost exactly the same circumference. On that basis I can see no reason why you shouldn't use the ones you have, if you want.

If it's a brand new vehicle the dealer might still insist on supplying it with their standard tyres as they will be the ones that are factored into the manufacturer's MPG and emissions figures.

I have a T5.1SE that I have just put 4 new "Michelin Cross Climate 2" tyres on. They are 235/55/R17 Y. They have less than 500 miles on. However, I have just agreed to buy a new T6.1 Ocean that will be delivered during the first week of September. The dealer can't tell me the brand of tyres, but the size is apparently 215/60/R17.

I had assumed that I would be able to just swap them over until I found out the difference in sizing. Am I still able to do this? I wouldn't want to make the change if there was the slightest impact on the safety of either vehicle. While the new vehicle has the different size tyre for a reason, I know that people also have preferences about tyres and so maybe I can still make the swap.

Yes.
Both sizes are on the tyre sticker , drivers B pillar, for the California, T5 - T6.1.

If trading in your T5.1 the value may have been based on having the Michelins fitted.
You'd have to OK the swap over on collection with the dealer or they might reduce the trade in price.

If not trading in then simply a swap over before selling the T5.1
It'll cost £12>15 per wheel for fitting balancing. Potentially 8 wheels.
Dealer may charge you the hourly rate so be prepared for some bartering/haggling.

It might be worth buying a good cheap set of wheels/tyres to put on the T5.1 prior to trade in and hope for the best.

If trading in your T5.1 the value may have been based on having the Michelins fitted.
You'd have to OK the swap over on collection with the dealer or they might reduce the trade in price.

If not trading in then simply a swap over before selling the T5.1
It'll cost £12>15 per wheel for fitting balancing. Potentially 8 wheels.
Dealer may charge you the hourly rate so be prepared for some bartering/haggling.

It might be worth buying a good cheap set of wheels/tyres to put on the T5.1 prior to trade in and hope for the best.
Ah! No. I’m not trading in. Hadn’t thought about the charge to swap the tyres. Up to £120 locally. If Vw would charge me by the hour, how long / how much is that likely to cost? About the same?

So it really is customer preference? What do we think would be the pros and cons of either of these sizes?
Personal preference.
215 higher pressures and can give harsher ride.
235 lower pressure more comfortable ride.

Some will disagree with my 215 comments, not many will with my 235 comments.

Ah! No. I’m not trading in. Hadn’t thought about the charge to swap the tyres. Up to £120 locally. If Vw would charge me by the hour, how long / how much is that likely to cost? About the same?
I've seen quotes of £135 to £170 per hour therefore only a quote from your dealer would be accurate.

Not all tyre places will do it. Sell and fit only.

Not sure where you live, but Kwik Fit charges around £60 to swap and balance tyres. I used to do this quite often while using winter tyres on my cars. £120 seems excessive. I would put all season tyres on new van if it comes on summer tyres.

If it is swapping the wheels over, then it is a simples call to the dealer - "oh BTW, forgot to mention that I will also need the wheels swapped over from my old van to the new. The old van will definitely sell better with the brand new wheels on. Thank you so much, you guys are great!"

I am sure they will agree.

Swapping tyres is a bit more of an involved process and they may charge as it will also need balancing etc.

So do you want to swap wheels or tyres?

If it is swapping the wheels over, then it is a simples call to the dealer - "oh BTW, forgot to mention that I will also need the wheels swapped over from my old van to the new. The old van will definitely sell better with the brand new wheels on. Thank you so much, you guys are great!"

I am sure they will agree.

Swapping tyres is a bit more of an involved process and they may charge as it will also need balancing etc.

So do you want to swap wheels or tyres?
Tyres only. I like the new wheels.

Tyres only. I like the new wheels.
ah! that will be an involved process as you will need both vans side by side and that will only be possible at the dealers. they know that and they can charge you. negotiate before hand. you may have to leave your van for a day for them to allocate time to do it.

So it really is customer preference? What do we think would be the pros and cons of either of these sizes?
Here’s an interesting read that goes into detail about the advantages of each option. I use 215s because I do a lot of driving in snow.

Also:

Last edited:
Don’t forget to swap the spare wheel !

Many thanks for posting that. There really is so much to it and some of it counterintuitive too. This might be the best summary to save a very long read:IMG_0382.png

Don’t forget to swap the spare wheel !
I think I’ve decided that it isn’t worth changing them. I was keen to hold on to the Michelin cross climates, but I guess it will help the sale of my old van. I’ll buy them again in a couple of years on the new vehicle.
A big thank you to this community for helping me towards this decision.

I have found that the wider tyres wears on the outer and inner edges. My tracking has been done and checked by VW.
The dealer has said that there is nothing wrong with h suspension or tracking.

The local garage says, yes they see that all the time on Transporters and Calis.

Garages pumped up to 46 PSI cold. There is a suggestion to run at higher pressure to help with getting a flat contact patch.

I guess you will see any difference when you drive the new Cali.

I have found that the wider tyres wears on the outer and inner edges. My tracking has been done and checked by VW.

The local garage says, yes they see that all the time on Transporters and Calis.

Garages pumped up to 46 PSI cold. There is a suggestion to run at higher pressure to help with getting a flat contact patch.

Wear on the inner and outer shoulder is due to insufficient pressure in the tyre for the vehicle weight.
Insufficient pressure gives a Concave shape to the tyre area in contact with the road, hence shoulder wear.
Over inflated tyre pressure gives a Convex shape and enhanced year of the centre tyre tread.

Nothing to do with tracking per se, just pressure

On my 4Motion with 235 tyres I run them at 44psi front and rear and have equal wear front to rear, right to left.

Wear on the inner and outer shoulder is due to insufficient pressure in the tyre for the vehicle weight.
Insufficient pressure gives a Concave shape to the tyre area in contact with the road, hence shoulder wear.
Over inflated tyre pressure gives a Convex shape and enhanced year of the centre tyre tread.

Nothing to do with tracking per se, just pressure

On my 4Motion with 235 tyres I run them at 44psi front and rear and have equal wear front to rear, right to left.
I even use 46 PSI. I believe all 4season tires really need higher pressure than the label on the cali recommends.

Last edited:

replace them with your 235 ones they will be more comfortable and sporty . I have bought my california ocean last year with the 235 55 17 continental tires on they are very good on highway but terreble on off road

And as a general rule, don't go to VW for hourly rate jobs that can be done by independents at fixed prices where such jobs don't impact the warranty or perhaps the service history.

Wider wheels/tyres are more susceptible to the effects of caster angle on the front axle due to the tyre in effect only contacting the road on the inner or outer surfaces when turning especially on full lock.

Adjustable suspension bushes are available to ensure that the Caster angle is set correctly if one or both are out from ideal position.