Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

T6 Ocean Under Unit Light mind of its own

I can't remember what they decided was the fault for my 2017 T6 but, they changed the feed and put it through a spare fuse under the seat. I'll dig out the paperwork for a slightly more thorough explanation when I can.
That would be great to have how they did it, my vans going in between Christmas and new year. I would rather they don’t start taking the kitchen out as am concerned they will have issues putting it back as it was, after how they bodged the reFitting of the tailgate trim on an other job

One the issue of flattering the battery due the light being on is their a fuse you can take out to turn the light off permanently ? While waiting for it to fixed

Breeze Totton
Ok thanks, I tried Breeze Poole, twice, and they proved to be worse than hopeless at understanding the various light switches and inputs that control it, let alone coming anywhere close to fixing the problem after VWGURU left them.

That would be great to have how they did it, my vans going in between Christmas and new year. I would rather they don’t start taking the kitchen out as am concerned they will have issues putting it back as it was, after how they bodged the reFitting of the tailgate trim on an other job
I felt the same and left it so long because of that. There really should be enough info out there now for bulletin. I understood it only takes a handful through a single dealers hands to instigate that.
Now I haven't made any effort to validate a successful repair yet except driving it in the dark for reasonably long spells and haven't noticed it come on (if I remember right that used to happen) and the other symptom was that when I locked the van it would take a long time to start to fade out but now its in time with all the other courtesy lights ....I suppose I ought to validate it but too busy and tired and its only been done recently.

So back to answering your question. If it's fixed they did it without any need to remove any of the kitchen.

So after being into the dealer to be fixed, using the VW guru method mentioned in previous posts. The issue is still happening. What I want to do is just disable the light, rather not have to worry it’s going to flatten my battery at some point. Any ideas How to disable it or do I need to take it to an auto electrician? Asked dealer to disable it when it was back in this week. They said they can’t disable things only fix them (well try too)

So after being into the dealer to be fixed, using the VW guru method mentioned in previous posts. The issue is still happening. What I want to do is just disable the light, rather not have to worry it’s going to flatten my battery at some point. Any ideas How to disable it or do I need to take it to an auto electrician? Asked dealer to disable it when it was back in this week. They said they can’t disable things only fix them (well try too)
I think, I’m not sure, that if you remove the boot light bulb it will disconnect the circuit.

I think, I’m not sure, that if you remove the boot light bulb it will disconnect the circuit.
Or maybe the boot light fuse. I can’t remember, I saw it on here somewhere.

Or maybe the boot light fuse. I can’t remember, I saw it on here somewhere.
This makes some sense, as my (faulty) strip light comes on when I open the boot door. It also flashes sometimes when I open the passenger sun visor mirror cover, so it’s madness.

Assuming the issue is the same on all.
Camping mode vs driving mode setting should stop it.
I'm a bit sketchy on the details but look in the manual, it's something like a couple of quick pushes on the button at the end of the sink and it either flashes twice or three times to indicate which mode its in.
In driving mode (problematic) it comes on with the unlocking process like the courtesy lights but randomly comes on by itself.
In camping mode you turn it on by using the switch so no random lighting up. Thats how I kept it for a couple of years and this was proven by it not coming on at night while trying to sleep in the van.

I'm shocked it hasn't been cured though, I guess I better go trawl the thread to see if you took it to Breeze.
The instant tell tale for me (and I've checked no further) is that it goes off at the same time as the other courtesy lights when I lock the van. It used to stay on for longer and dim more slowly (a good 15-20 seconds after the other lights were out.
Perhaps I'd better check further.

Last edited:
Assuming the issue is the same on all.
Camping mode vs driving mode setting will stop it.
I'm a bit sketchy on the details but look in the manual, it's something like a couple of quick pushes on the button at the end of the sink and it either flashes twice or three times to indicate which mode its in.
In driving mode (problematic) it comes on with the unlocking process like the courtesy lights but randomly comes on by itself.
In camping mode you turn it on by using the switch so no random lighting up.

I'm shocked it hasn't been cured though, I guess I better go trawl the thread to see if you took it to Breeze.
It’s not this, mine has behaved differently, previously I would get random flashing, unable to change mode, pulsing in the middle of the night. It was ‘fixed’ for a while, but now it’s stuck in driving mode, cannot change to camping mode, but no random pulsing, so I live with it now.

It’s not this, mine has behaved differently, previously I would get random flashing, unable to change mode, pulsing in the middle of the night. It was ‘fixed’ for a while, but now it’s stuck in driving mode, cannot change to camping mode, but no random pulsing, so I live with it now.
I took mine to Breeze twice by the way.

You wouldn't think it should be hard for VW to address....very dissappointing.

I’ve given up too, can’t be fixed it seems.
But camping mode does work fine, so I’ve just left it on that.

Mine just comes on randomly, often wake up in the middle of the night and it’s switched on, always at the dimmest setting .. sometimes it won’t switch off after it’s come on .. I have put gaffa tape over it in the night. Sometimes it’s switches of easily. Happens in either camp or drive mode. There is no rhyme or reason to it

Mine comes on when the missus uses the light in the sun visor.
Vw Liverpool said there was nothing wrong with it and that was the end of it, after replacing a relay under the fridge.
I gave up with them in the end, so now it’s off in door mode and used via the switch when camping only.
The fault is the power feed. It’s powered off the leisure batts when it should be fed from the engine batts. The feed needs swapping. That’s the cure.

Mine comes on when the missus uses the light in the sun visor.
Vw Liverpool said there was nothing wrong with it and that was the end of it, after replacing a relay under the fridge.
I gave up with them in the end, so now it’s off in door mode and used via the switch when camping only.
The fault is the power feed. It’s powered off the leisure batts when it should be fed from the engine batts. The feed needs swapping. That’s the cure.
So the dealer just swapped ours from the engine to the leisure battery, as per this post from VW breeze Poole post... should it be the other way round ? Below is the post from VW Guru

Hi here the update to my post from yesterday. The problem lies with the power feed that comes from fuse SC19 which is a fuse in the center dash fuse box. The fuse should be permanently battery fed however it’s not. The fix is to change the wiring to run off of the leisure battery’s via the fuse box under the left front seat.

It takes about an hour and a half to complete the repair the lower dash trim has to be removed from the left front to access a block connection and the left front seat has to come out to access the battery and fuse box. Unfortunately not enough have been reported to vw for them to action a technical bulletin but having spent hours working on one to find the fix with another master tech and explaining the issue to vw this is the way forward for a repair.

So the dealer just swapped ours from the engine to the leisure battery, as per this post from VW breeze Poole post... should it be the other way round ? Below is the post from VW Guru

Hi here the update to my post from yesterday. The problem lies with the power feed that comes from fuse SC19 which is a fuse in the center dash fuse box. The fuse should be permanently battery fed however it’s not. The fix is to change the wiring to run off of the leisure battery’s via the fuse box under the left front seat.

It takes about an hour and a half to complete the repair the lower dash trim has to be removed from the left front to access a block connection and the left front seat has to come out to access the battery and fuse box. Unfortunately not enough have been reported to vw for them to action a technical bulletin but having spent hours working on one to find the fix with another master tech and explaining the issue to vw this is the way forward for a repair.
Had mine done by camberley vw commercial centre end of last year, they had it for four days and its been fine since. The only advice i will give is contrary to the manual, you have to have all doors closed to change the operation now or the double press don't work. I believe they changed the supply to the leisure battery as others have said and had to take advise from vw.

As much as I like the trim light coming on when the door opens I’ve had my fill with Vw dealers not talking to each other about sorting issues out.
I’ll happily put up with it and switch it with the button on camp.
They sell a great vehicle but certain elements of aftercare raise eyebrows which is such a shame as they should go hand in hand.

So just picked the van up, we will see about how the light issue is. However I asked them to change the tyre on a slow puncture on the back drivers side. They changed the wrong one, I didnt have time to stay for them to fix that so it’s got to back in again, to fix a another mistake they have made