T6 Oil Check

soulstyledevon

soulstyledevon

Kennycalifornia
Super Poster
VIP Member
Vehicle
Cali now sold
Anyone else struggle to read the dipstick on a T6...?

This seems empty to me...?
Actually, very empty.

It was last serviced April (VW)and only driven about 7000 miles.
Alarmingly, no oil signs on the dash. Just thought I would do some checks this afternoon and found this a bit concerning...

8FDC6F56-F465-49E8-9B1C-39EA4004EC5B.jpeg

its not empty but below the minimum. stick a litre in

Looks like you need to buy a longer dipstick?

Bottom groove on the dipstick is minimum - that's just about ok. Mine needed 3.5 litres just to get it up to that point when I had a leak & that only briefly flashed the low oil warning light.

Ok, sounds like there is still a bit in there then, if @andyinluton says it’s was 3.5l to that point.
I would of expected a warning sign before this.

I think it might be wise to check this engine more often.
My old 140 never used a drop in the 5 years I had it.

Mine wasn't empty - oil capacity is 7 litres,

Max to min on the dipstick is 1 litre so you've got 6 litres in there still.

Check oil when engine at normal running temperature.
Should be in the 1/2 to 3/4 area on the dipstick.

Also ensure that your van is on level ground. :thumb A mistake I once made and got me worried.

VW advise that oil should be checked approx 5 mins after stopping the vehicle, with a clean dipstick.

Little update.
I’m organising the van for my next big trip.
Again, no oil light. On checking, it looked on the empty side.
So I added about 1l
Warm engine and re-checked after the litre was added. It looks to me, to be about half way up the Dippy.
Van oil change service Feb this year (22) covered 5500 miles. Little bit surprised it needs so much oil…?

B88D228F-6E29-4539-86ED-3022233AC929.jpeg

Oil added

2361EAC4-999E-468C-98D4-3AE8716A1F1C.jpeg

Little update.
I’m organising the van for my next big trip.
Again, no oil light. On checking, it looked on the empty side.
So I added about 1l
Warm engine and re-checked after the litre was added. It looks to me, to be about half way up the Dippy.
Van oil change service Feb this year (22) covered 5500 miles. Little bit surprised it needs so much oil…?

View attachment 96094

Oil added

View attachment 96095
Have you had your crank case oil seals checked ?

Have you had your crank case oil seals checked ?

Not yet.
I’m getting the cambelt changed next week and will ask the question. Is it easy enough to check…?

Not yet.
I’m getting the cambelt changed next week and will ask the question. Is it easy enough to check…?
It’s a visual check, they weep so leaving a tell tale sign of oil and crud .
get both ends checked , VW have updated the seal with a redesign

are you still in warranty?

search T6 forum for a lot more instances

It’s a visual check, they weep so leaving a tell tale sign of oil and crud .
get both ends checked , VW have updated the seal with a redesign

are you still in warranty?

Well out.
The van loves giving me bills this year.
I had debris hit my passenger door on the motorway last week, gouged marks into the drivers door and also hit the windscreen. Gobsmacked it didn’t smash to pieces, I braced for impact. Nothing I could do, outside lane going quick reacting could’ve been a lot worse.
Just have to take some of these on the chin…

Not yet.
If you shine a torch down the engine bay you should be able to see if there is a pool of oil on the undertray.
When my T5.1 sprang a leak it had lost about 3.5 litres & the low oil warning came on before it started dripping off the back of the tray.

This week I broke down in France.
I’ve just had a report from a French Bosch service centre, who report low oil and blown turbo.
I can’t get much more information as I’ve had to travel home and I’m at the mercy of RAC recovery, which has been awful btw.

However, today I have a bill for turbo replacement at £4K from an engine with only 49k miles, full service history and only 5 years old…

Last edited:
Any signs of leakage when the cambelt was installed and catch pan removed. Smoky starts? Curious where the oil has gone since you reported issues before leaving and I assume you were keeping an eye on levels.

My local garage said there was no signs of oil loss. I did have a look myself and I couldn’t see any signs of oil pooling etc.

The cambelt was changed and I had topped up the oil as above. The French garage report the oil levels to be well below minimum levels…

Probably drove about 1100 miles.

Thats worryingly excessive oil consumption for such a low mileage. If no obvious signs its getting into the combustion chamber (smoky starts, sooty deposits around exhaust pipe etc) then it could be the EGR valve, turbo oil seal or bad piston ring. Opening the oil filler cap when engine is warm and if smoke exits it suggest oil is getting into the combustion chamber. Was the EGR ever checked and replaced with the updated part. This seems to be quite common on the T6.

French garage report the oil levels to be well below minimum levels…

did you get an oil level warning prior to the incident?

oil checked 1100 miles prior ?

if so that would have had to use several litres In the following 1100 miles !

Blue smoke ?

Honestly, the fault came out of nowhere.
Accelerating from a Peage and I could hear an unusual sound from the drivers side as I hit 70mph. I slowed to 65ish and it disappeared and I pulled over at the next aire.
Had a look under the bonnet, because it sounded like an unusual rattle, didn’t think about the oil, because I had topped up at home.
Even checked the awning, roof, solar and had a look under the van, couldn’t see anything obvious.
Got back in drove a bit further, again 70mph the unusual sound re-appeared.
Planned to stop at the next exit, but failed to climb the hill and managed to make it to a safe section behind the autoroute barrier for safety.
I didn’t notice any smoke and never have done. But, if I and my garage can’t find any signs of oil. What’s happened to it. It’s gone somewhere…?

At this point, I need the to let the French garage carry out their repair and then fly back out collect and have an inspection done back home.

did you get an oil level warning prior to the incident?

oil checked 1100 miles prior ?

if so that would have had to use several litres In the following 1100 miles !

Blue smoke ?

No oil warning shown on dash.
Coils displayed and then loss of power.

perhaps the sequence of events was, turbo failed and the oil was lost via the compressor into the combustion chambers? Did you notice a smoke screen behind you?

Back