Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Thanks

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
Well that's it - Betty sold and we've ordered a new Golf GTD in Carbon Grey - no doubt I will now how to find the Golf GTi forum and annoy the hell out of them :)

I would just like to say think to the forum, obviously I will be at COTF :) A final farewell :)

Everyone on the forum contributes but in those early days it was good to have the likes of Stu, Lee and his Lounge Pants and Andy.

They're not the only ones, I have really enjoyed, the advice and the debates and the banter. It's all helped make this forum a great place.

I'd like to stick around, the GTD is a Golf Mk7 so I expect much of it to make it's way to the T6, especially the Discover Infotaintment systems and possibly hybrid underpinnings (When they release the Gold Hybrid(

I'd like to thank Martin and Kev for creating the forum and making the prospect of owning the Cali a little less daunting and for the hard work put into meets and fighting owners' corner when required.

Alex - SMG have made dealers more accessible and easier to understand, your servicing is superb, sorry I never got round to those alloys.

Freely - you're a Multivan superstar - Redredzimmer (James( - you made white vans cool.

Shambly - I loved your graphics

Thanks

James

Wow that was fast James?

Thanks for the kind comments and all the best for the future mate.

Martin said:
Wow that was fast James?

Thanks for the kind comments and all the best for the future mate.

One question though...

Is DSG better than Manual ?

James

One question though...

Is DSG better than Manual ?

In a word NO

James sorry to see you sell Betty but I do understand the reasoning behind the hard decision.
Has been good chatting, still not finished installing the T91. Enjoy the Golf & dive headlong into the Golf GTI forum.

See you at COTF in two weeks time, will you be slumming it in a tent or perhaps renting from Oli ???

That was one fast sale! Hope the new owner knows about Betty Custards fame.

Defiantly stick around, who else knows the model variations, trim, colour options & history of Calis, multivans, Velles & transporters better than you :!:

Now about fitting a kitchen pod in a Golf........ ;)

Well James, that was a very quick sale, I'm pleased for you but also a little sad that you've had to wave her goodbye.

The GTD is a very capable a nice looking car. I was all for buying one myself when the A1 went back but the combination of long lead times and arrogant VW dealers made me walk elsewhere - but that's another story.

Hopefully you'll stick around and keep us all up to date with things.

Wow, speedy sale!

I think you'll enjoy the Golf a lot though but in different ways; decent motors.

Stu said:
Well James, that was a very quick sale, I'm pleased for you but also a little sad that you've had to wave her goodbye.

The GTD is a very capable a nice looking car. I was all for buying one myself when the A1 went back but the combination of long lead times and arrogant VW dealers made me walk elsewhere - but that's another story.

Hopefully you'll stick around and keep us all up to date with things.

I had similar problems with one or two VW dealers, it was only this afternoon that we found one that would talk to us.

We've traded in - so clearly I've lost out compared on a private sale but after getting involved this afternoon in an ebay message exchange - I wasn't so up for selling privately and we got a good deal on the Golf, just got to wait for it to be built. I also considered an A1, very nice car.

I m sad too - but it's the right choice for us, and the GTD looks good, drives well and for a VW well equipped, although the decision not to fit even the most basic Sat Nav to such an expensive car is mean.

Of course I will keep you up to date.

James :)

KernowLad said:
Wow, speedy sale!

I think you'll enjoy the Golf a lot though but in different ways; decent motors.

To be honest - we just need something a bit more sensible - there's a whole new type of fear when you're on a the smallest country lane trying to man handle a yellow T5 past a piece of unforgiving and imposing farm machinery heading towards you.

:)

James

James said:
I had similar problems with one or two VW dealers, it was only this afternoon that we found one that would talk to us.

We've traded in - so clearly I've lost out compared on a private sale but after getting involved this afternoon in an ebay message exchange - I wasn't so up for selling privately and we got a good deal on the Golf, just got to wait for it to be built. I also considered an A1, very nice car.

I m sad too - but it's the right choice for us, and the GTD looks good, drives well and for a VW well equipped, although the decision not to fit even the most basic Sat Nav to such an expensive car is mean.

Local dealer was an ar5e, really took that jam out of my donut. I found out who was the dealer that supplied DTD so got a very good price from them but lead times for a factory spec were ludicrous.

The A1 was a nice car (I had 185 S-Tronic) but like the Cali a very large proportion of them on the road have an inherent manufacturing defect. Luckily I spotted it on mine only a few weeks into ownership so rejected. I then took 13 months and a mis-built car for them to finally admit that they couldn't supply me a replacement car and they gave me a full refund. Pick up a fully loaded 125d M Sport on Saturday :thumb

The Nav on the GTD was a stumbler for me. Of the cars available for immediate delivery almost all had gone for style over functionality so they had the bigger wheels and pikey Nav, I wanted Discover Pro.

Stu said:
James said:

Local dealer was an ar5e, really took that jam out of my donut. I found out who was the dealer that supplied DTD so got a very good price from them but lead times for a factory spec were ludicrous.

The A1 was a nice car (I had 185 S-Tronic) but like the Cali a very large proportion of them on the road have an inherent manufacturing defect. Luckily I spotted it on mine only a few weeks into ownership so rejected. I then took 13 months and a mis-built car for them to finally admit that they couldn't supply me a replacement car and they gave me a full refund. Pick up a fully loaded 125d M Sport on Saturday :thumb

The Nav on the GTD was a stumbler for me. Of the cars available for immediate delivery almost all had gone for style over functionality so they had the bigger wheels and pikey Nav, I wanted Discover Pro.

Same problem here - I looked at demos and like you say, it was all style over functionality. It's made more sense for me to order from the factory and get the bits I wanted and not pay some of the ridiculous demo prices. I struggled to find demos with Nav, I've gone for the basic system but the Pro does look impressive.

Glad you got everything sorted with the A1 - the BMW sounds pretty awesome :)

James

James said:
KernowLad said:
Wow, speedy sale!

To be honest - we just need something a bit more sensible - there's a whole new type of fear when you're on a the smallest country lane trying to man handle a yellow T5 past a piece of unforgiving and imposing farm machinery heading towards you.

James

I have to admit, it winds me up a lot too so we tend to use the car a lot more day to day.
I seem to have a near miss almost every time I drive the Cali!

KernowLad said:
James said:
KernowLad said:
Wow, speedy sale!

James

I have to admit, it winds me up a lot too so we tend to use the car a lot more day to day.
I seem to have a near miss almost every time I drive the Cali!

I know what you mean - :)

Good luck I am looking at the GTD at the moment to replace my 5 year old A3 which whilst a fantastic car has just started needing bits fixed.

Where did you order yours?

Cheers

We're in Cornwall at the moment and the RNS510 has plucked a few random routes out for us that have been somewhat interesting.

MKRW said:
Good luck I am looking at the GTD at the moment to replace my 5 year old A3 which whilst a fantastic car has just started needing bits fixed.

Where did you order yours?

Cheers

We ordered through Murray in Newton Abbot - we were a bit tied because we needed a dealer who would give us a good/acceptable price on the Cali.

James

Stu said:
We're in Cornwall at the moment and the RNS510 has plucked a few random routes out for us that have been somewhat interesting.

I tend to miss the first option - it will try to take you cross country and in Devon that normally means track/country lane, it's always going for the quickest route and that does lead to some bizarre choices.

James

Very kind of you to say James.

We are having a special deal on the Kenwood sat navs at COTF if your Golf doesn't have sat nav in it yet...?

cheers

Alex; much improvement over the DNX520VBT?

I'm trying to update the maps but seriously struggling to find anywhere to buy the SD cars. Any ideas?!

KernowLad said:
Alex; much improvement over the DNX520VBT?

I'm trying to update the maps but seriously struggling to find anywhere to buy the SD cars. Any ideas?!

I only had one vehicle with the 520 in but do think that the 521 is a better unit and would be worth having over the 520. Can't help with the SD card I'm afraid though.

cheers

James said:
Well that's it - Betty sold and we've ordered a new Golf GTD in Carbon Grey - no doubt I will now how to find the Golf GTi forum and annoy the hell out of them :)

I would just like to say think to the forum, obviously I will be at COTF :) A final farewell :)

Everyone on the forum contributes but in those early days it was good to have the likes of Stu, Lee and his Lounge Pants and Andy.

They're not the only ones, I have really enjoyed, the advice and the debates and the banter. It's all helped make this forum a great place.

I'd like to stick around, the GTD is a Golf Mk7 so I expect much of it to make it's way to the T6, especially the Discover Infotaintment systems and possibly hybrid underpinnings (When they release the Gold Hybrid(

I'd like to thank Martin and Kev for creating the forum and making the prospect of owning the Cali a little less daunting and for the hard work put into meets and fighting owners' corner when required.

Alex - SMG have made dealers more accessible and easier to understand, your servicing is superb, sorry I never got round to those alloys.

Freely - you're a Multivan superstar - Redredzimmer (James( - you made white vans cool.

Thanks

James
Ah it seems quite sad James like we're saying goodbye to an old friend :cry:
I hope it doesn't mean you're going to disappear though - your wisdom, knowledge and dodgy politics would be missed! (well maybe not the politics lol)

Freeley said:
James said:

Thanks

James
Ah it seems quite sad James like we're saying goodbye to an old friend :cry:
I hope it doesn't mean you're going to disappear though - your wisdom, knowledge and dodgy politics would be missed! (well maybe not the politics lol)

That's very kind

I am probably the only public sector worker here and possibly why i can afford one vehicle alone lol.

I will stil be around, I think in the future i will be revisiting Cali's - I think however the next gen of campers will be radically different to the current California, I also think plug in hybrid tech would make them more useable - although it's not answer to the worlds ills.

What I would like to do is report back on the Golf 7 - i am assuming much of its underpinnings and technology will find it's why on the T6 - it has some great systems and tech on it.

Already found a big debate on whether UK Cars have traffic sign recognition... It's like auto lights all over again :)

James

James

Lol

Those of us that are self employed start every day ' unemployed '

We have to make our own luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BerndRos said:
James

Lol

Those of us that are self employed start every day ' unemployed '

We have to make our own luck !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was joking - I've only been fortunate to own the Cali - and now (hopefully) the Golf because of tragic events.

Never forget that fact.

James

smgcowfold said:
Very kind of you to say James.

We are having a special deal on the Kenwood sat navs at COTF if your Golf doesn't have sat nav in it yet...?

cheers

As it's going to be factory built, I've just ticked the box. These are the next generation units, and hopefully move away from having add ons - even the most basic radios on the new Golf have bluetooth etc. It's funny how quickly technology moves and becomes the norm.

There are two units, Discover and Discover Pro, they are very complete.

James

Back