Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The Wardrobe - how best to use it

SimonB

SimonB

Staff member
Top Poster
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
We've had our Cali for 2 years now and have tried various ways of making the wardrobe space more useful. We don't need hanging space as such, so shelving would be most useful.
We have the John Lewis hanging storage comprising single 'shelves' of fabric such as one would use in a tent, which is OK(ish) but doesn't make full use of the space.
I found some old threads from 2014 and earlier which used shelving, but there were problems with getting fixing points. Velcro and other adhesive based solutions failed when it got hot and the adhesive gave way.
What solutions have owners come up with? I can't believe with all the ingenuity on this Forum that no one has resolved it.
Ikea, and others, sell units that can stack, has anyone tried them and found a combination that works?

How do we make best use of this space?

I throw fleeces, waterproofs, cushions, any old bulky stuff not needed straight away.

It's surprising how quickly it fills up, no room for anything more just as you find the one item needing hanging up :mad:

We've got 2 of the hanging fabric shelving units , one from Ikea and a narrower one from Jysk , side by side . We roll our clothes up and I store my clothes in one and the other holds books , phones , odd and sods , . Works really well for us .

Lesley

Last edited:
I throw fleeces, waterproofs, cushions, any old bulky stuff not needed straight away.

It's surprising how quickly it fills up, no room for anything more just as you find the one item needing hanging up :mad:

That sounds just like our own cunning plan :D

We're having the same fun with trying different places for everything. Currently our ebags are in the wardrobe with different coloured ribbon on the handles and zipper so we know which one to pull out.

They then get topped with all the other 'stuff' which needs to be put away!:)

They do fit quite well but piled one on top of another in a limited access black hole can make it difficult to locate the one you want without hauling them all out.

We've got 2 of the hanging fabric shelving units , one from Ikea and a narrower one from Jysk , side by side . We roll our clothes up and I store my clothes in one and the other holds books , phones , odd and sods , . Works really well for us .
Lesley
Same here. Not the most economic use of space but after many different attempts these seem to do the trick.

vXdCkd.jpg

A wide variation in how we use the space in just 3 hours, thank you all.
I have got to make better use of it than I do now as so much of it is not properly used and apart from that I often can't find what I know is in there somewhere.
With the new sink top being split in 3 the issue of where do you put things when making a cup of tea and you need to get the milk out, has been resolved. Perhaps VW will see this as their next challenge.

After reading other threads on similar subject, I decided to go with these:

https://shop.vwcamper.de/moebelzubehoer/269/einlegeboeden-haengeschrank

varianteABC.jpg

Not cheap but the service and quality are second-to-none in my opinion. They have transformed our wardrobe into an accessible, organised storage area (especially when used in conjunction with ebags or the like). We never used the wardrobe for hanging clothes anyway*, more like a rigid stuff-sack that regurgitated everything whenever you needed a single item (inevitably under everything else).

*Edit: even with the wider shelves fitted, you can still hang a couple of items closest to the door if required.

Last edited:
We use them in different colours and they are a great fit in the wardrobe (medium size I believe, but do check measurements). We put clothing in them so in the morning they come out and we get our clothes our for the day, place back in wardrobe and we don't usually have to access them till the following morning. Five ebags placed horizontal leaves us enough room for jackets etc on top and the odd box of wine on the bottom if required.

Hi we didn't find hanging space to be the most efficient use of the wardrobe space and found this hanging unit from Ikea really useful. It fits exactly in the space and secures to the top rail with a velro so can easily be removed.IMG_1833.JPG

Bedding! There's enough room to cram in a double duvet, 4 pillows, a sheet, sleeping bag and two pairs of crocs! Don't even need to fold things up - all your bedding can be tugged out in about a minute. Leaves the back shelf free for a holdall full of clothes, or a crate of food.

Lesley
Wow, what a faff! It would take me about a week to pack if I rolled everything up like this!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We use these from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/Organisers-Toiletry-20x20x10-Approved-Solution/dp/B00NHUVOMS/ref=sr_1_2?s=luggage&ie=UTF8&qid=1504879372&sr=1-2&nodeID=2454166031&psd=1&keywords=cabin+max+packing+cubes&th=1and to answer GrannyJens' niggle about finding the right bag each of us picks a colour so we can easily pick our own clothes out.

I use cheap key rings, the ones with the removable plastic tim that allows access to a Label, they cost about ÂŁ3 for 50. I use them as labels and attach to the zips. I then, on arrival, bury my head in the black hole (a headlight is useful) trying to read all the labels :shocked

We've had our Cali for 2 years now and have tried various ways of making the wardrobe space more useful. We don't need hanging space as such, so shelving would be most useful.
We have the John Lewis hanging storage comprising single 'shelves' of fabric such as one would use in a tent, which is OK(ish) but doesn't make full use of the space.
I found some old threads from 2014 and earlier which used shelving, but there were problems with getting fixing points. Velcro and other adhesive based solutions failed when it got hot and the adhesive gave way.
What solutions have owners come up with? I can't believe with all the ingenuity on this Forum that no one has resolved it.
Ikea, and others, sell units that can stack, has anyone tried them and found a combination that works?

How do we make best use of this space?
We used the space to transport a 25l fermention vessel full of cider. It fits perfectly in the base and won't tip over.

Bedding! There's enough room to cram in a double duvet, 4 pillows, a sheet, sleeping bag and two pairs of crocs! Don't even need to fold things up - all your bedding can be tugged out in about a minute. Leaves the back shelf free for a holdall full of clothes, or a crate of food.

Agreed, acts a big stuff sack for all bedding for most trips. Only use as hanging wardrobe on longer trips and on those occasions put bedding under tartan blanket on top of mattress topper.

Cadac, wine, jamons, snorkelling gear, towels, more wine, coats, gifts, even more wine....

Any attempts at organisation are laughed out of the van!