Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

The wave

Ridden bikes all of my life but this, I just don’t get??
It’s not as though bikes are rare FFS !
I always nod at other motorbikes on my motorbike even scooters and its larely a 2 way thing unless you are negotiating a bend. I wouldn't wave tho not a good idea but do if walkers get out of the way to allow you to pass slowly I aways wave.

We find its about 50/50 too.
Mr P gets more than Mrs P when driving.
Best ever was another Acapulco Blue on opposite carriageway, both
of us waving franti--cali. It was much appreciated.

Although we're not in a Cali yet...... we found it strange at first and then got used to it. Yuo might find that it is those that had the vehicle pre pandemic that wave as those after just bought for staycassions.

I see you're in Norfolk to so surely you know good ole Narfolk fowk wave to n e1. It's Nelsons county so just making up for his lack of waving :)

This year’s report on waving so far:

Scotland - 50-60% waves back
The Lakes, Wirral - maybe 40-50%?
Wales - of the hook - 70-80%
South East & Sussex - barely 10%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This year’s report on waving so far:

South East & Sussex - barely 10%
Probably too busy scanning the horizon for potholes to notice

Top 10 councils with the most reported potholes:​

1. Surrey County Council - 6,733
  2. Kent County Council - 3,194
  3. Hertfordshire County Council - 3,124
  4. Essex County Council - 2,989
  5. Lancashire County Council - 2,703
  6. Glasgow City Council - 2,486
  7. Buckinghamshire County Council - 2,484
  8. Hampshire County Council - 2,411
  9. Oxfordshire County Council - 2,345
  10. Cheshire East Council - 2,306

Or ULEZ signs :)

Window stickers for ‘auto’ wave :cool:

IMG_4815.jpeg

IMG_4816.jpeg

I had a glorious wave today near Blackheath at another Grape Yellow California Beach. And a big smile too.

Up, from the steering wheel, that gets me a 4 finger up from their steering wheel.
I’ve had a few enthusiast waves, but I’m a finger up from steering wheel kinda guy.
I’ve also been known to give a big head nod to the side.
Just to mix it up a bit

We get less waves returned in our silver T6.1 Cali than we did in our bright green and white two tone T5.1 Camper. Might have to add a few brighter bits on the front to make it more visible.

Passed 17 Calis on the way to CarFest the other weekend, waved at every one. Not one waved back. Mrs KB thinks I’m mad, says it isn’t a thing. I say it’s Mrs KB scowling in the passenger seat that’s putting them off. Who’s right??

When I had my T2 in the late 90's I would always wave or flash lights at other T2s, nearly always returned. They were pretty common then as well.

When I had Alfas some people would wave but it came as a surprise.

Now in the Cali in europe, not many wave but when they do they are enthusiastic!

Definitely had more waves when in UK though

We get about 50/50 response. But … just as you lose concentration after a run of no waves, someone gives an unexpected surprise enthusiastic wave as you’re passing them - too late to respond ! :oops:

The question for me is: do you wave at a 6.1 because you are in one too (getting 50:50 results). Or do you also wave at a t3 joker or a t2? They might just snob you, at least that has been my experience.

Bedfordshire - people are still trapped at the bottom of the potholes so have been unable to report them.

Passed 17 Calis on the way to CarFest the other weekend, waved at every one. Not one waved back. Mrs KB thinks I’m mad, says it isn’t a thing. I say it’s Mrs KB scowling in the passenger seat that’s putting them off. Who’s right??
There are so many VW’s in Cornwall that to wave would mean waving every 30 secs or so……… as my (VW owning surfer son) said……. “can’t be ars*d to wave, only holiday visitors bother!” :D

Today parked up a Lochewe gardens car park our Cali plus two others. Then shortly after leaving and on a short stretch of A832 between Poolewe and Dundonnell met five Californias - we all waved. One was a left hand driven. That was in addition to three Transporter conversions.
Amazing in a section of road 25 miles eleven VW campers.

Yesterday as I was parking a man said "hello I have got exactly the same" Today I was waved at and thumbs up from a pedestrian. Is this the new "wave"? Then I have waved at a California from my bike. I have not yet started waving at Californias going around the roundabout that I can see from my apartment but maybe one day.

We are only a month in to Cali ownership but have been waved at probably 10 times, I only returned the wave maybe 5 times as I was not used to it!. TBH did not realise it was a thing but was actually quite nice! .Did try a couple of times and got no response but that was just as funny to me and the wife.

So pleased I have my Dora back, it was a little odd waving at Californias and getting confused looks whilst driving the hire white Jeep SUV

When part of the Early Bay community it was the law that you waved at other EBs, polite to wave at Split Screens but a no-no to wave at later buses.
Personally I'll wave at any VW camper but have sometimes done so enthusiastically only to be passed by a plumber Bearing a confused expression.
And I could never master the VW wave and am usually half a mile down the road before I untangle my fingers.

Back