Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

What to check before extended warranty ends...

My best advice is to double check that the supplying dealer properly activated the extended warranty on purchase in the first place. After 3 years, and at another dealer I was told that the VW system didn't show the extension and my warranty had expired. Fortunately I still had the receipt for the payment and they were able to sort it out eventually. I had the same problem with the service plan incidently. And I bought the vehicle from one of the better dealers.
Pretty sure it’a in order as they’ve been fixing several issues recently, but will double check jn writing next week. Thanks!

I think you've already seen the cambelt recall post, but get your dealer to check as you should be changing that at 4-years as a routine, if expensive, item.

So I tested the windows and near side window leaking. Van due to go in to confirm the leak and potentially replace the window.
I didn’t have privacy glass and have an after market tint applied which I am very happy with.
If the windows need replacing under warranty, can I also get VW to pay to have the new windows tinted? If it’s both sliding windows it would be £100+ at a guess.

So I tested the windows and near side window leaking. Van due to go in to confirm the leak and potentially replace the window.
I didn’t have privacy glass and have an after market tint applied which I am very happy with.
If the windows need replacing under warranty, can I also get VW to pay to have the new windows tinted? If it’s both sliding windows it would be £100+ at a guess.
Doubt they would go for that, something to do with a term called 'Betterment' I think.

Doubt they would go for that, something to do with a term called 'Betterment' I think.
Good point. Thanks. Hopefully it can be fixed without replacement windows...

Have a meeting planned tomorrow to discuss various issues (12V sockets, leisure batteries, sliding window leak, paint bubbles, aircon, carplay...), and general comments (it’s not covered under warranty, take it back to where you bought it, you need to prove that, etc.)
And there was me wanting to order a new VW Combi or Transporter with all the things I like from my 204, DSG, 4Motion with parking heater, leather seats, etc... Not likely to happen now...

Hope all goes well. Hopefully the dealer registered for 5 year warranty. Really feel for you as you have had such lousy luck with your van. We are on our 6th and have been very happy ( or is that lucky). Good luck.

Another item for the list of things to check...
- heated wing mirrors (drivers side is not defrosting).

@Dayzee this may be what you are looking for

My Cali is coming up to 4 years old. I have the extended warranty (to 5 years), but do not want to wait until the 11th hour to find things that are at fault and should be covered under warranty. Plus, based on experience with my dealer, when fixing one issue they seem to create another few and then we enter a discussion about who’s liable... I would prefer to have any obvious things sorted well before the 5 year ends so as not to have protracted liability discussions post warranty period.
I fully appreciate you can’t anticipate everything. However, there are things other members have noticed over the first few years that I can check (for example, based on the forum today I did a quick test and discovered my nearside sliding window is leaking).
I’d like to do some further checks myself for areas that are known to be at risk before it goes in for the 4 year service end of February. Also it will give me a good guide of things to watch out for over the 5th year and get logged before the end of the warranty period if necessary.
Any one have any thoughts or suggestions? Thanks in advance.
expand...
My California ocean is nearly 3 years old and I've just tried to buy an extended warranty on the Volkswagen website . When I put in my registration details it comes back with the message "extended warranty is not available for this vehicle". Does anyone know if Volkswagen have stopped doing Warranties for californias?

My California ocean is nearly 3 years old and I've just tried to buy an extended warranty on the Volkswagen website . When I put in my registration details it comes back with the message "extended warranty is not available for this vehicle". Does anyone know if Volkswagen have stopped doing Warranties for californias?
I think you have to purchase the extended warranty within 90 days of purchase. 3rd party warranties could be available but check with the dealer if they accept that underwriter's policy.

The factory extended warranty (from 3-5 or 4-5 years) needs to be taken out within 3 months of purchase. If you are at the end of the 3 year period then there are other options available... have a search on the forum and hopefully you can get some good advice.

The factory extended warranty (from 3-5 or 4-5 years) needs to be taken out within 3 months of purchase. If you are at the end of the 3 year period then there are other options available... have a search on the forum and hopefully you can get some good advice.
A dear thank you for that I wish the dealer had told me when I bought it!

I think you have to purchase the extended warranty within 90 days of purchase. 3rd party warranties could be available but check with the dealer if they accept that underwriter's policy.
Thank you for that I wish the dealer had told me when I bought it new!

And remember that some policies might only be available if initiated before the factory warranty expires.

And remember that some policies might only be available if initiated before the factory warranty expires.
If taken out before VW Warranty expires no inspection or probationary period before a claim can be submitted is normally the case.

A dear thank you for that I wish the dealer had told me when I bought it!
I am sorry they didn’t tell you. As I was on here after I ordered mine I argued with the dealer. It was a long discussion, and of course I was wrong... but I trusted folk on here and their quotes from VW... an hour or so later (after the middle aged single lady refused to budge) they finally checked and agreed...
but I was not made aware about the extension to VW assist.
This next time I will be fully prepared...!
Do NOT trust your dealer to be up to date...

I am sorry they didn’t tell you. As I was on here after I ordered mine I argued with the dealer. It was a long discussion, and of course I was wrong... but I trusted folk on here and their quotes from VW... an hour or so later (after the middle aged single lady refused to budge) they finally checked and agreed...
My Dealer told me that VW would be in contact to offer it, when nothing heard after some time I contacted VW to find out what was happening only to be told over the 3 months limit. Couple of weeks too late.

My Dealer told me that VW would be in contact to offer it, when nothing heard after some time I contacted VW to find out what was happening only to be told over the 3 months limit. Couple of weeks too late.
That’s so wrong. Sorry that happened. Hopefully through the forum, more and more people will learn what they are entitled to with their £60k investment... and not be solely relying on dealers who don’t seem to care...

Makes VW look amateurish doesn't it! Absolute shower!

In this case it’s not VW’s fault - it is the dealer who should be telling you about the factory extended warranty.
VW Franchise therefore trained and operate under VW's rules & 'guidance'.

What’s the bit about VW assist please? I didn’t think it was included in the 3-5yr warranty extension - has that now changed? Thanks.

Back