Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilets and portaloo's

Thanks Jen, I'll give that a try (and see how high I can get the soap suds!) :thumb

The Popaloo bags contain granuals of naturally occurring compounds, similar to cat litter, that absorb liquids, deodorise etc and the whole bag with contents is biodegradable after about 7-10 days.

In the ridiculously oversized flush tank of the 335 (6 litres I believe)
You've got a point there, it makes it very top heavy and wobbly and I usually just part fill it. I fact, in the past we've carried a spray bottle of disinfectant and used that instead; it has the advantage you can direct it at all parts of the bowl whereas the built in flush always seems to miss areas.

A little bit expensive compared to pop-a-loo bags and the travel urinal is totally out of court given the amount of water that I drink ... :oops:

Love to know how the HGV drivers manage, according to a TV programme about Motorway Maintenance, the numerous full bottles of "Irn Bru" found on the motorway verges -aren't.;)

I've used this at festivals...
http://boginabag.net.au
The little stool is a handy extra seat in the van and packs down to nothing and certainly doesn't take up the space that a portapotty uses. Each bag is supposed to take up to 700ml liquid

I've also got one of these...
Portable urinal which has proved useful in the night.

However...I'm taking the kids to Glastonbury next year so I suspect I'll be purchasing a porta potti 335 Qube to ensure we can all get through the night!

We use a carrier bag for number 2's, we line the bowl of our 335. once the job is complete we tie and not in it and dispose of it in the nearest bin.

That Outwell toilet looks nice indeed never seen those , but need to empty more cause it has smaler resevoir , then again it is most of the time "just in case" ....
Also nice color like Nick said.
Good find:thumb
The 335 porta potti lasts for about 3 nights use before needing emptying. The only thing that seems to change with the outwell110 is it's shorter. The 335 fits easily under the rear shelf and is a good height to sit on! I suspect that you are not going store anything on top of a porta loo so the saving in height is lost unless you are going to store it in the kitchen cupboard!
The 110 does look quite nice though.

I don't like the idea of people disposing of bags human excrement in public bins. Sounds most unpleasant and unhygenic.

It's personal innit!

I guess ultimately it's just helpful to those trying to decide what suits them, to put forward options with the pros and cons of each?

Dealing with wee is easy - it's the pooing, especially if wild camping, that's trickier

Thanks for options, that's most appreciated.
Indeed I thought the same re putting stuff in bins, but I have a dog, so penny dropped...what's the difference?
I think I'll investigate granules from spill kits we buy at work...maybe a cheap option to refilled, purpose-made, expensive options...?

Did anyone see that programme on TV about the Motorway staff?
One said he was strimming the bank on the motorway and strimmed a carrier bag full of human excrement that someone had thrown out of the window!

Did anyone see that programme on TV about the Motorway staff?
One said he was strimming the bank on the motorway and strimmed a carrier bag full of human excrement that someone had thrown out of the window!

Perhaps next time he will look where he's strimming.

Hi all,

There's a few threads about toilets in the Cali but they're getting a little old and there's bound to be newer models on the market. Therefore, what do you use and recommend?

I'm not entirely sure where I'm going to put it, having ordered a 7 seater Beach so I know space is already tight when the lower bed is up, but I'm sure I'll figure it out. Likely store it in the boot and hope it fits between the two extra seats at night. If anyone can advise on this, I'd be intrigued to hear.

I did look at the Popaloo but it looks blooming expensive for what it is! £70 for a simple plastic box, and then basically £1 a bag which, I'm assuming, you change after every use?

I have time, so am in no particular hurry, but I find researching accessories eases the long waiting time!

I still use my trusty thetford 335 although you could say it's a bit bog standard :(

I think the older threads are still valid, things don't change much on the loo front. The big topic for the Cali is where to store and use it! :D

If no convenient bush is available, then my preference if for the Thetford 335 or Dometic equivalent.

PS: Save No 2's for a proper bog except in dire emergency!

Just looked at the Thetford 335 - looks perfect! A virtual replica of the cassette toilet in our caravan, which has never let me down. Probably the one I'll go for in the Cali on those 'caravanless' trips. Thank you.

Do check if you need the "cube" model...... Something in my memory says you do.

Check out 'Bog in a bag'. Much cheaper initially and hardly takes up any storage space. We can supply, but also readily available via the usual online retailers.

Useless starting this toilet discussion again:headbang in a new tread.
Soon half of the forummembers wil have their own toilettopic.