Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Toilets and portaloo's

My question is can any of these be used when then bed is made? Is there enough room between bed and seats? If so it could save some daft o'clock trips with my kids(and me!)
Yes. Or at least the Porta Potty (and similar) can.

My question is can any of these be used when then bed is made? Is there enough room between bed and seats? If so it could save some daft o'clock trips with my kids(and me!)

Yes. It is quite a comfortable fit between end of bed and front seat for the porta potti. Erecting a pop-a-loo in the same space might prove a little problematic.o_O

Thanks for your help Guys and Gals ........ Please see new topic 'Television'

I've just purchased one of the outwell 10L ones - it fits under the parcel shelf which is a massive bonus as I can still make use of the cupboard!

Comfortz That sound neat as the cupboard would be useful, as I'am awaiting delivery of my Cali Ocean would it be possible to send me a photo of the storage location? Thanks Paul

I can add a picture of the loo, but don't think I have a picture of it under the parcel shelf - but it slides under with loads of room left over.

You have always been a bit odd lol

That Outwell toilet looks nice indeed never seen those , but need to empty more cause it has smaler resevoir , then again it is most of the time "just in case" ....
Also nice color like Nick said.
Good find:thumb

The qube 335 also fits under the parcel shelf. If it's stowed just behind the rear bench it's very handy enroute somewhere, to just slide bench seat forward and climb in behind, making use of side blinds and drop down cupboard for privacy ( I think someone posted that they removed bench seat stop to let it go further forward making easier access to back of bench for this purpose). I travel with ours in one of the big blue ikea bags which is big enough to make it easy to access without completely removing it.

That Outwell toilet looks nice indeed never seen those , but need to empty more cause it has smaler resevoir , then again it is most of the time "just in case" ....
Also nice color like Nick said.
Good find:thumb

I'll be honest its more for the little one when we're on our travels and when she needs to go - she really needs to go!!!

Nappy bucket with lid. Highlander toilet bags (for when you have to drive to empty) and a bottle of the green stuff. Cheap, fits in the lower cupboard next to the wardrobe, plenty of room when lower bed made up AND you can store other stuff in the bucket whilst in cupboard.
And easy to unobtrusively empty in a normal loo if no toilet chem disposal point available.

Granny tip #33

When using a bucket as part of one's portaloo arrangements ensure it is not one of the folding or collapsible variety such as a wacky practicals type ... :shocked

Granny tip #33

When using a bucket as part of one's portaloo arrangements ensure it is not one of the folding or collapsible variety such as a wacky practicals type ... :shocked
Personal Experience?:)

Outwell looks nice but for the same capacity it is larger and heavier.

....indeed where do you dispose of bags if on a site? Does the filled bag go somewhere, or do you have to empty the bag?

Yep, I haven't a clue......

Dottie,

You dispose of them in any normal waste disposal receptacle, or in other words, rubbish bin. Same as I do with my grandchildren nappy liners.

I use pop-a-loo bags with my porta-potti 335 for certain functions. I find it a much more pleasant way to dispose of the more unpleasant but normal bodily processes and also a more convenient way if camped where there are no chemical waste disposal points.

Dottie,

You dispose of them in any normal waste disposal receptacle, or in other words, rubbish bin. Same as I do with my grandchildren nappy liners.

I use pop-a-loo bags with my porta-potti 335 for certain functions. I find it a much more pleasant way to dispose of the more unpleasant but normal bodily processes and also a more convenient way if camped where there are no chemical waste disposal points.
Hi Granny Jen
...does this include liquids? Does it not smell? Do you have to go to the bins in the dark under disguise?

I'm being serious...my mind is boggling as to the possible contents of rubbish bins....!

Do you use the recycle bins?!

Hi Granny Jen
...does this include liquids? Does it not smell? Do you have to go to the bins in the dark under disguise?

I'm being serious...my mind is boggling as to the possible contents of rubbish bins....!

Do you use the recycle bins?!

Ok dottie,

Lets get to basics!

Most times for number 2's I seek out public facilities.

If wild camping or in other places with no facilities then occasionally I have to use my own. I use bags because quite frankly the idea of solids slopping around in my porta-potti is too much, and also far too inconvenient as often there is simply not the facilities to empty into a CDP.

Once used the bags are tied and placed conveniently under the van outside. I really don't want to keep it inside, even for a few hours.

In the morning when moving off, if no where to dispose then the bag is popped into a plastic container in the boot until somewhere is found.

Pop-a-loo bags are biodegradable so can be popped into a recycle bin, otherwise normal rubbish bins will do.

As for a wee, then the porta-potti is totally adequate. I drink a lot of water, lots and lots, and a 335 still does me for a couple of days and within 48 hours it is normally quite easy to find a disposal point.

I do not use chemicals. With just fluids then I find normal bio washing powder a quite adequate and pleasant smelling alternative and if I really do want to wake up to that fresh laundry smell then I also pop a drop of fabric conditioner into the flush reservoir.

Bingo...perfect! Many thanks for that!

(I'm currently the laughing stock....sitting in a Florida condo overlooking the gulf with dolphins and Pelicans passing by...'chatting' about my favourite subject...my van!)

I do not use chemicals. With just fluids then I find normal bio washing powder a quite adequate and pleasant smelling alternative and if I really do want to wake up to that fresh laundry smell then I also pop a drop of fabric conditioner into the flush reservoir.
Interesting - I hate the smell of that blue or green stuff. How much bio & conditioner should one use?

Interesting - I hate the smell of that blue or green stuff. How much bio & conditioner should one use?

In the ridiculously oversized flush tank of the 335 (6 litres I believe) a capful of conditioner keeps the bowl silky smooth and clean and most pleasant smelling.

In the reservoir tank I toss in about a small desert-spoon of bio washing powder.

One then goes to the CDP smelling like a freshly opened launderette.

I would also add that in the absence of any chemical weapons of mass destruction I have disinfectant wipes in the van, Milton or Sainsbury's own, that keeps everything sanitary.