Torque Wrench

Californication69

Californication69

Bill
Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
What’s the mid range price for a torque wrench that would suffice in a twice yearly wheel change ?
What make Torque Wrench do you have, and is it still working ?

Got myself one of these. Comes in a handy storage case and much smaller than a full-fledged torque wrench ... and have it in the van all the while so that it can be used whenever required.

can be easily used with the 1 m extension rod that I have, which makes tyre changes much easier.

1611823059785.png

For use at home have a Draper. Was about £22. Works well.

1611823189188.png

The wheel brace that comes with the van. If you can get the wheel off with it then it's perfect.
Thanks so much for your answer, but I wasn’t asking that question.
I know there is a wheel brace.
I want a torque wrench, so the wheels are bolted to the hubs to the correct torque specification.

Got myself one of these. Comes in a handy storage case and much smaller than a full-fledged torque wrench ... and have it in the van all the while so that it can be used whenever required.

can be easily used with the 1 m extension rod that I have, which makes tyre changes much easier.

View attachment 72589

For use at home have a Draper. Was about £22. Works well.

View attachment 72590
The draper is only up to 80Nm.
VW spec is 150 to 180 Nm ?

The draper is only up to 80Nm.
VW spec is 150 to 180 Nm ?
Apologies for not clarifying. Yes, also that is a 3/8th and so not suitable for that high torque situations. I use that for all else. For the tyres it is just the Clarke Pro with the breaker bar.

PS: Was just showing off my torque wrenches. ;):D I have a smaller 1/4 as well that gets used on the motorcycle and the bicycle.
PPS: Can you have too many torque wrenches?

This would be an economical solution. Could be carried in Cali and used to undo wheel bolts as well so need for a breaker bar.
Either a short extension plus 19mm socket or a special wheel nut deep socket needed.

I have a Norbar one, expensive at £130 new but I had it from car engine building use.

Apologies for not clarifying. Yes, also that is a 3/8th and so not suitable for that high torque situations. I use that for all else. For the tyres it is just the Clarke Pro with the breaker bar.

PS: Was just showing off my torque wrenches. ;):D I have a smaller 1/4 as well that gets used on the motorcycle and the bicycle.
PPS: Can you have too many torque wrenches?
Answer, No ! You cannot have to many :):thumb

I bought one of these recently. Cant comment on suitability but its cheap!

60-210nm on the box not used it yet.
Have you checked the Torque range?

Only ask as I bought one specifically for wheel nuts, preset so not adjustable. The preset was for cars so not suitable for the high Torque needed on the Cali.

I bought one of these recently. Cant comment on suitability but its cheap!

60-210nm on the box not used it yet.
That's the cheapest one for sure and 3 years warranty !!

And my point is, you need to be able to remove the wheel at the road side so tighten the bolts to the point where you can remove them with the wheel brace. That will be plenty tight.

You are of course assuming that a torque wrench is the correct way to apply torque to the bolts. For all you know the preferred method could be a given angle of rotation from finger tight or measuring bolt stretch. Unlikely but you get my point.

Have you checked the Torque range?

Only ask as I bought one specifically for wheel nuts, preset so not adjustable. The preset was for cars so not suitable for the high Torque needed on the Cali.
looks like 180Nm is 132ft-lb

Range is 20 to 150 ft-lb
Or 28 to 205Nm

And my point is, you need to be able to remove the wheel at the road side so tighten the bolts to the point where you can remove them with the wheel brace. That will be plenty tight.

You are of course assuming that a torque wrench is the correct way to apply torque to the bolts. For all you know the preferred method could be a given angle of rotation from finger tight or measuring bolt stretch. Unlikely but you get my point.
Aha. but my question was not "How do you remove a bolt from a wheel, whilst not at home"
So your answer is irrelevant.
I assume VW just guessed they could use something that every person in the world could get hold of and use so that all the bolts are within specification. (Ie: a Torque Wrench)
I do get your point but I am not stretching bolts on a 120 tonne wind turbine blade destruction testing equipment that I used to install. Also 80 tonne destruction testing equipment to shake the gearbox to sh1t. I also used equipment to stretch the bolts that held it to the metal grids, inserted into concrete bases.
I just want to torque my wheel bolts and locking bolts to 180 and 150 Nm respectively, whilst at home, changing winter and summer tyres.
I have changed wheels for nearly 40 years, and know when it's tight, and just right, and not silverback tight. I have money to spend on getting it just right.
I have a breaker bar and 6 flat sided 1/2" socket for the job, as the wheel brace sucks.
Are you trolling me @sidepod ;):cheers

Absolutely not, just trying to save you some cash. Apologies. 80)

Absolutely not, just trying to save you some cash. Apologies. 80)
I got the Aldi one, as 3 years warranty for £17 is a no brainer :cheers

P1280190.JPGP1280191.JPG

I bought this at an autojumble about ten years ago. It's by Sykes-Pickavant, Model 670250; 40-200Nm; 30-150lb.ft. I bought it for £5 at the end of the day. I wonder if that's why my wheels keep falling off?

Could be carried in Cali and used to undo wheel bolts as well so need for a breaker bar.
I was always told not to use a torque wrench as a breaker bar as it can upset the calibration.
The wrench I show in #22 has a printed warning against doing this stating that the warranty will be invalidated.