Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Torque Wrench

I was always told not to use a torque wrench as a breaker bar as it can upset the calibration.
The wrench I show in #22 has a printed warning against doing this stating that the warranty will be invalidated.
Very true. I think I read, the Aldi one only clicks on clockwise movement. But would never undo a bolt / but with torque wrench. Even though they feel solid. Delicate inside. (Bit like wifey)

Hello there.
You want the Norbar bar torque wrench,which is a quality piece of kit.Just get the one with the range you need the most.
Nice kit, good price too !
£89

Whatever torque wrench you have remember to reduce the torque to a low setting for storage, the spring with thank you for years :)
Very good advice !

Whatever torque wrench you have remember to reduce the torque to a low setting for storage, the spring with thank you for years :)
The calibration needs to be checked on a regular basis too.

What’s the mid range price for a torque wrench that would suffice in a twice yearly wheel change ?
What make Torque Wrench do you have, and is it still working ?
Hi

I bought a cheap non branded one in it's own plastic case at an autojumble at least 30 yrs ago and it works fine still. I always carry a socket and small extension with a breaker bar so I should be able to change a flat with ease.

I've been driving, including rallying since 1964, 57 years. Always rotating my wheels regularly to even up tyre wear. Never had a wheel fall off, or stripped a stud thread, yet !!

For those that are now having read this thread, think they must buy a torque wrench. My thinking with our California is, I do it up tightly with VW supplied wheel wrench, because thats what I assume the VW boffins of calculated will provide you with the correct amount of leverage to remove the wheel after their technicians have used to fix wheels to your vehicle with their sophisticated torque wrenchie things.
Am l wrong? Do you consider l buy a torque wrench as a must have option? and of course carry it with me in the Cali at all times.

Worried of Watford.

I've been driving, including rallying since 1964, 57 years. Always rotating my wheels regularly to even up tyre wear. Never had a wheel fall off, or stripped a stud thread, yet !!

For those that are now having read this thread, think they must buy a torque wrench. My thinking with our California is, I do it up tightly with VW supplied wheel wrench, because thats what I assume the VW boffins of calculated will provide you with the correct amount of leverage to remove the wheel after their technicians have used to fix wheels to your vehicle with their sophisticated torque wrenchie things.
Am l wrong? Do you consider l buy a torque wrench as a must have option? and of course carry it with me in the Cali at all times.

Worried of Watford.
Exactly the same here. For 40 years always used my knowledge and muscle memory.
180Nm is pretty tight.
But I wanted to know which one to buy, as in
”Want” (not need) Re: torque wrench

Yep we got the same one quite a few years ago, works brilliantly and a really good price.
Works brilliantly as in you've measured/calibrated it against a know load or as in it makes a clicking/beeping noise at some random load?

Just curious given you can pay £hundreds for a torque wrench or.........£17

Disclaimer - Not Trolling, just avin a larrf.

It's a case of what do you use it for? I, for one, could easily do without a torque wrench as I only use it for tightening wheel bolts/nuts and I could just as easily do this with the supplied brace, which, as others have said, should result in the bolts being torqued to approximately the correct value.

Works brilliantly as in you've measured/calibrated it against a know load or as in it makes a clicking/beeping noise at some random load?

Disclaimer - Not Trolling, just avin a larrf.
And you have calibrated the one you bought for £150... No of coarse you haven’t..If you don’t have something constructive to say don’t say anything..Have a Larrf somewhere else.

And you have calibrated the one you bought for £150... No of coarse you haven’t..If you don’t have something constructive to say don’t say anything..Have a Larrf somewhere else.
You probably don’t want the answer to that. Cheers.

That escalated quickly :cheers
Valid points though.
Pretty serious when you’re only attached to 20 bolts between arriving safely or involved in a accident due to the wheel coming off.
But thankfully less risk than swimming with sharks.
Pays ya money, takes ya chances.

Just bemused. Most people, the OP included, want to do the job correctly etc, all very commendable. But why then go and buy the cheapest unit possible that has probably a +/- 15-20Nm accuracy, thereby virtually guaranteeing you do anything but a good job? Ok in this case it’s not critical but if you accept that then just use any old wheel brace.

I’ll get back in my box.