Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Travel after the lockdown

I'm sensing that there's going to be a humongous debate as we go into the next phase of the emergency, post-strict lock-down, about whether or not tourists should be allowed back into rural areas.

Here's just a taster: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52055456. Some arguing already that second homes should not be allowed to be used 'until COVID19 has abated'. This example is about Wales but I could well imagine same arguments (pressure on local health and emergency services) being used in other UK regions too. And if they object to second home owners coming in, presumably they're going to be just as exercised over campers etc.

Yesterday there was a joint letter to govt from Countryside Alliance, Country Landowners Assoc, NFU and others pressing for rules to be tightened on public visits to the countryside - they were referring to the current lockdown phase but I could well see the same arguments being used longer term.

Whatever we might think of all that (we're hardly unbiased) I think it's going to be a big stramash in the coming weeks, as we head into holiday season.

Elevator’s will become unpopular.
Airlines are already talking about 50% ticket price increases if they have to leave a third of seats empty.
Foreign leisure travel to many destinations will be restricted somehow anyway.
The financial consequences may start driving the decisions more.

Here's just a taster: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-politics-52055456. Some arguing already that second homes should not be allowed to be used 'until COVID19 has abated'. This example is about Wales but I could well imagine same arguments (pressure on local health and emergency services) being used in other UK regions too. And if they object to second home owners coming in, presumably they're going to be just as exercised over campers.

I think the second home argument is valid in the current environment,after all most campsites are closed, but there is also an element of score settling going on as well. The ownership of 2nd homes is a hot topic especially when it inflates the price of housing beyond the reach of full time residents. Some may see this as an opportunity to curtail 2nd homes in the longer term.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back